Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2015, 12:04 AM

657 posts, read 739,931 times

Advertisements

To be fair, this is happening all over the country. Yuppies and the internet has made everything bland and copied. Nobody is original or fun anymore. Its probably is worse in Houston though just because you have people moving with family's or dont plan on staying forever so they dont really care about the culture of the city

Last edited by theone33; 08-04-2015 at 12:20 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2015, 10:27 AM

1,347 posts, read 1,820,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Willis View Post
Because all of the gays have been chased out by Mr & Mrs Suburban Yuppie.
I know a lot of ppl that essentially moved to EaDo or parts of Uptown, but it's sad there's no true gayborhood anymore really.

Old 08-04-2015, 11:20 AM

Theres still gays in montrose..but def not like it used to be

Old 08-04-2015, 11:40 AM

1,045 posts, read 2,153,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Willis View Post
Because all of the gays have been chased out by Mr & Mrs Suburban Yuppie.
The event left long before the yuppies moved in.

I don't like how the Pride Festival moved to downtown. It was all corporate, which I'm sure is why the organizers moved it to downtown. More $$$.

Old 08-04-2015, 11:44 AM

5,614 posts, read 4,937,855 times
In terms of where gays live, the Heights, GOOF, and Westbury probably have as many as Montrose anymore.

The Westheimer Arts Festival wasn't an exclusively gay event anyway. It was a more general celebration of Houston's bohemians.

If it was ever reconstituted in some way (apart from the Bayou City Art Festival and the Art Car Parade), I'd probably recommend doing it in EaDo. Many bohemians have moved to the east and southeast sides anyway.

Old 08-04-2015, 12:25 PM

213 posts, read 303,558 times
Good idea; someone should put the bug in the EaDoers ears... By the way, I meant bohemian, not just gay. Really, I hope someone takes this on. The White Linen night was not very cool. We need some free thinkers to put on a show for all us boring people.

Old 08-04-2015, 01:51 PM

There are always events going on in the east end (not saying eado. Sounds ridiculous and corny) just nothing huge and festival-like

Old 08-04-2015, 03:07 PM

5,614 posts, read 4,937,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theone33 View Post
There are always events going on in the east end (not saying eado. Sounds ridiculous and corny) just nothing huge and festival-like
I wasn't fond of EaDo either, but I feel like I have to use to it to distinguish the area from the actual East End, which is east of the freight rail tracks. They each have their own management district.

Old 08-04-2015, 06:32 PM

1,347 posts, read 1,820,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theone33 View Post
Theres still gays in montrose..but def not like it used to be
There's gays everywhere, but I get what you mean about there being a higher concentration. It doesn't feel like the 'gayborhood' anymore like west hollywood does or boystown in chicago or the west village in Manhattan or how Montrose in Houston used to feel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalPlanner View Post
In terms of where gays live, the Heights, GOOF, and Westbury probably have as many as Montrose anymore.

The Westheimer Arts Festival wasn't an exclusively gay event anyway. It was a more general celebration of Houston's bohemians.

If it was ever reconstituted in some way (apart from the Bayou City Art Festival and the Art Car Parade), I'd probably recommend doing it in EaDo. Many bohemians have moved to the east and southeast sides anyway.
I feel the distribution of the gay community has gotten pretty even in most parts inside 610, which is unfortunately too sparse for my taste. I love the idea of moving the festival east of town.

As far as the name EaDo goes, I get that it's a tad gimmicky but so is WeHo. Considering numerous news organizations, building names, and artistic murals there have already gotten on board, I think it's here to stay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston