Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2015, 03:16 PM

1 posts, read 11,417 times

Advertisements

Hello ,
I'll try to summarize my case in few words, we moved to Houston in Dec 14 in a Camden property and signed a lease for 15 months. After 6 months I lost the job and had to move to another state, I opted for transfer to another camden property and according to the agreement, paid half a month rent penalty, (According to the agreement , if I move to another Camden property lease breaking charge was half month rent , otherwise one month rent). On moving to another state , I found the Camden property here is not upto the mark , and to top it all the staff was too rude, so I decided to go for another apartment (please note I already paid the registration fee of 175 dollars in new Camden also, that I lost.)

After a month, I recieve a mail from Camden to pay one month's rent as I didnt transfer to Camden, I agreed to pay, but asked for a refund of my half a month rent that I paid as transfer charge which is 600 dollars. Brazenly Camden has refused to refund that money and charging one month rent over that (1200 dollars).
Please suggest what shall I do ? Is there any option for me .

Thanks in advance !
Laura
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2015, 04:46 PM

2,047 posts, read 2,982,728 times
You should be grateful they didn't come after you for the rest of the lease that you sign for.

Paying one month to get out of the lease does not sound unreasonable.

The other charges are really your own fault and I don't think anybody would refund you just because you change your mind. Is it their fault you change your mind?

Frankly, it would not surprise me if they try to collect the rest of the rent from you.

Old 07-27-2015, 05:24 PM

2,165 posts, read 3,770,875 times
I second what ipuck said. Just move on and hope they don't come back for the rest.

Old 07-27-2015, 06:14 PM

38 posts, read 45,381 times
Agree with what everyone else has said, be happy with what you paid and move on. Camden nor practically any other landlord will come after you for the remainder of the contract. They loose that right to claim the remainder of the rent once the apartment is rented again. Law only allows the landlord to recover expenses for the remainder if it stays vacant, once it is under contract you can't try to recover lost income when it is earning income on a new contract.

I had a renter tear up my property and I wanted to sue the pi$$ out of them. My lawyer quickly explained to what it would cost to pursue and it made no sense

Old 07-28-2015, 07:14 AM

42 posts, read 69,065 times
In these apartment contracts the breakup fee is clearly stated. OP already said it is one month's rent. So, no, they can not come after her for the remainder of the lease.

OP, I guess they reserved a spot for you in the Camden property you had agreed to move to. In that case, they "might" have turned down some other applicants, so they can claim the additional half month rent is justified. I am not an expert of course and I don't know the specific language used in the contracts you signed. However, my guess is they probably have the right to that money legally. Perhaps you can try to plead your case to a higherup at Camden, if you can find one, and ask the fee to be waived as a courtesy.

Old 07-28-2015, 09:00 AM

1,835 posts, read 3,264,565 times
The Houston Camden gave you a lease break fee. Pay that amount and nothing more. Pay the remaining balance, and write on the check "payment in full"

Texas law is clear that a landlord can not charge you for lost rent if they re-rent your apartment. Many of the camden properties in Houston have no apartments available, so 1 month would be the maximum they could charge by law (other than damages) because they would have the unit re-rented by the end of the 1st month.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston