Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2015, 06:31 AM

26 posts, read 47,289 times

Advertisements

We recently moved from an apartment to a house at the Reserve in Rosenberg. We've had Comcast for years and despite all the negative reviews, they've served us well. We asked for a service transfer and also asked for more information on their security package that they explained over the phone.

The new home is pre-wired for security, and Comcast said that they could possibly "take over" the existing system and install 3 cameras on top of what was already wired for $399 set-up and about $40 more than our usual bill for cable and internet. We told the sales rep what our existing pre-wired system was, but she still couldn't tell us if this is something that they could take over or if this would have to be a totally new re-install. She said that only the tech could tell us that and we could go from there.

We've only got one tv now, so we asked if the tech could activate all of the cable outlets in case we place tv's in other rooms (we did this about 5 years ago at our apartment). Rep said yes, and all sounded great.

Our "window" was 1-5pm and the tech showed up at 1:30. He introduced himself and was very polite. He confirmed the package that we would be receiving, which (incorrectly) included the security system. I explained that we told the rep that we had not decided on their package, but only wanted to see what could or could not be done... and we told the tech that the sales rep explained that only the tech could let us know what could or could not be done.

The tech explained that he could take over the existing system, but was not 100% sure until he removed the existing panel. Otherwise he would have to replace a few circuit boards and see if that would work. He seemed very knowledgeable and confident, but still unsure. From experience, we know that "unsure" can get expensive.

He then explained the good and bad regarding the "3 cameras".
The good: yes, you can view them any time of day from wherever you are via cellphone app.
The bad: takes lots of wiring (that's difficult to hide) to mount them and the cameras only monitor -- they don't record anything... they are just monitors. We kinda thought that if something happened, we could rewind the camera video like we see in the movies and review whatever took place.

Bad on us for not investigating or researching further... but now we know.

He then explained that we could NOT have all the tv outlets activated -- he could only activate the one that has an actual TV in use.

We cancelled/delayed the security package until we could research the options a bit more (I read a few threads here and saw Smith Thompson mentioned favorably many times, as well as HomePro).

To "cancel" the security installation that they incorrectly included on the order, we had to call Comcast while the tech was here. This phone call involved about 4 transfers, starting over again with each rep, explaining the situation, from start to finish -- and took about an hour. When we finally concluded, the tech (who was still waiting) added that he could not begin until the new work order was texted to him.

After waiting about 20 minutes, we called Comcast again. The first rep that we spoke to said that he could give us the work order number and we could pass that on to the tech. The rep said that all the tech needed to do in the future was call dispatch to get his new number.

Either way, we gave the tech his number and he proceeded to instal. Took about an hour or so from that point. So after all was said and done, we have our internet installed (we are getting a fair 7-8 mbps download speed) and we have our basic HDTV package in the living room.

There is an orange wire laying on the ground going from the side of the house all the way around to the backyard. The tech said that another crew will come bury it in 3 working days.

We digitally signed our "service receipt" and asked if we would get a copy. The tech said that he did not know -- that we should call Comcast and request one.

We had also assumed that he would be using the same box and modem that we brought with us from the apartment, but he installed all new equipment (which was fine). However, we asked if he would be taking back the old equipment and he advised that we return it ourselves so that we get a paper receipt so that we could show that it was actually returned in case there were in issues.

So that was our experience. Not really "bad" but it could have went a lot smoother if the sales rep hadn't added the security package and the phone interactions weren't so complex.

As always happens, a few minutes later, mail was delivered and we got a "welcome to the neighborhood" letter from AT&T with a wonderful offer to instal their blazing fast internet and mega-wonderful U-verse package for free, accessible from all rooms in the house, and wireless. Go figure. Will have to now do additional research. (We checked ATT prior to moving and were told that Uverse would not be available here until end of the year.)

Again, not really a rant or anything, just my experience to add to the mix...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2015, 06:58 AM

51 posts, read 134,177 times
I was a comcast customer for the past 8 years. Was happy with their internet speeds. Like you, I also moved from apartment to new home 5 years ago. They laid the cable out and told me a work order is placed and someone would come out to bury the cable. My home came with sprinkler system and unfortunately the individual who came out to bury the cable damaged my sprinkler system (that is after I told him to be careful). They fixed it but it took them over a week. Just be there when comcast comes out to bury the cable.
I recently cancelled. I am now with Entouch. So far they are just as good as comcast - but a way better price.
Oh and the cancellation call was horrific. The customer support agent was rude, loud, and cancelled the call abruptly. No wonder they are listed as the number one in worst customer service experience.
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/custom...151103637.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston