Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2015, 06:48 PM

3 posts, read 4,508 times

Advertisements

Im moving to Midtown, Houston. My company put me up in corporate housing for first couple of weeks. I want to stay "inside the loop" work in Montrose. My wife and I are both relatively young 35, or relatively old, i guess you can say) looking for a walkable area, that is safe, with plenty of restaurants, shops, parks, near by.
Ive been told Upper Kirby, Rice Village, Midtown, Montrose, Oaks, Galaria. Ive only been in houston just a few days. WOWWW Grandslam by Conger, GO ASTROS! sorry was watching astros-diamondbacks..okay back to the post, very excited to be moving to Houston. I know it won't be like 7 years living in south beach, then last four living in West Hollywood, CA but want to be in an area that we will love.
thank you for your suggestions. I will be staying at City Place Midtown for first couple of weeks. Looking to lease for the first year. Then likely buy a home in year two.

Go Astros....but Dolphins fan for life!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2015, 07:09 PM

6,287 posts, read 7,492,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIA2HOU View Post
Im moving to Midtown, Houston. My company put me up in corporate housing for first couple of weeks. I want to stay "inside the loop" work in Montrose. My wife and I are both relatively young 35, or relatively old, i guess you can say) looking for a walkable area, that is safe, with plenty of restaurants, shops, parks, near by.
Ive been told Upper Kirby, Rice Village, Midtown, Montrose, Oaks, Galaria. Ive only been in houston just a few days. WOWWW Grandslam by Conger, GO ASTROS! sorry was watching astros-diamondbacks..okay back to the post, very excited to be moving to Houston. I know it won't be like 7 years living in south beach, then last four living in West Hollywood, CA but want to be in an area that we will love.
thank you for your suggestions. I will be staying at City Place Midtown for first couple of weeks. Looking to lease for the first year. Then likely buy a home in year two.

What is your monthly rental budget ? You will be ok with one bedroom ?

Old 08-01-2015, 07:25 PM

3 posts, read 4,508 times
Fine with 1 bedroom as long at least 800 sq ft. patio/balcony would be nice. budget would like to stay under $1800.

Old 08-01-2015, 10:48 PM

28 posts, read 67,539 times
You should have plenty of options with that budget. Midtown has a younger demographic - early to late 20s with many bars, clubs and restaurants. Many of my friends stay there and complained many drunkards shout when walk home at 2 AM after the bars close. Also, there are some homeless folks on some streets.

I personally prefer Upper Kirby (77098), West University (77005) Rice Village (77030) or the South Hampton (77025) areas. These are great neighborhoods with beautiful tree-lined streets and just 5-10 miles from downtown. Many medical professions in their 30s and you'll run into folks from all walks of life interning/working/seeking medical treatment at Texas Medical Center.

Montrose is more eclectic and known to be the gay neighborhood of Houston. I dislike how congested the traffic always is at that part of town. The streets are narrow and full of pot holes. However, great restaurants and bars.

All of these neighborhoods mentioned above would be an easy commute into downtown if that's where your work is located.

Old 08-02-2015, 11:42 AM

31 posts, read 32,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIA2HOU View Post

Foodie1980 gave you some good advice. I patrolled midtown/3rd ward/east downtown for two years with the majority of my time spent in Midtown. Midtown has some good bars and restaurants, but it's not a great place to live. Many of the apartment complexes are built near bars or clubs, so the amount of loud noise complaints we dealt with were absurd.

Also due to the bars and clubs there are an insane number of drunk drivers/disorderly drunken revelers wandering around on the streets and sidewalks. If that wasn't enough, the high concentration of parked cars draws car break ins. You'd be surprised how often these break ins occur inside of "secure" apartment parking garages.

And finally, midtown is a homeless Mecca. I like to drive through intersections without being accosted by a homeless guy with a misspelled sign asking me for my hard earned money.

I've lived just outside of Rice Village for about a year and a half, and its been great. There are some great jogging trails in the area, and Rice Village has a lot of good stores and restaurants. With your budget, you should be able to afford just about anything in Upper Kirby, Rice Village area. Its just personal preference for me, but I'd stay out of the Galleria, the traffic is really bad for much of the day.

Take my advice with a grain of salt, but if you're someone who doesn't like to party till all hours on the weekend, likes to keep his vehicle windows intact, and hates to be begged for money, I'd stay clear of Midtown. I seriously hate that place.

Old 08-02-2015, 12:06 PM

How about Montrose itself since that is where the OP will be working? You may actually find a place within walking distance of your job.

Heres a link to show what may be available in Montrose...

Neartown - Montrose Houston Apartments For Rent | Zillow

Old 08-02-2015, 02:38 PM

657 posts, read 739,660 times
It sure is funny how new transplants somehow get it in their head that they HAVE to live inside 610. This is a new thing to consider the loop a sort of boundary. When and how did this happen?

Old 08-02-2015, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theone33 View Post
It sure is funny how new transplants somehow get it in their head that they HAVE to live inside 610. This is a new thing to consider the loop a sort of boundary. When and how did this happen?
The OP is working in Montrose and doesn't have any kids so I think it makes perfect sense for him to live ITL, don't you ?

Old 08-02-2015, 05:36 PM

31 posts, read 32,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
The OP is working in Montrose and doesn't have any kids so I think it makes perfect sense for him to live ITL, don't you ?
You're right, but I think that was a desperate attempt to shoe horn a "there is a Houston outside the loop too" plug, and not necessarily related to the actual thread lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: