Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2015, 11:30 AM

1,765 posts, read 4,339,297 times

Advertisements

I am likely going to be moving literally from one one-bedroom apartment to the other one across from me... about 7 feet across the breezeway ... No one has to go up or down stairs, and no truck is involved.
I have only a few pieces of furniture that are even somewhat heavy -- a small leather sofa , its matching chair and a few small hutches.

My game plan is to call a few moving companies for quotes explaining that I DON'T need the truck or traveling... just really the arms and legs to move stuff once. I'm even thinking of asking them to do only the furniture (and no appliances are moving; the fridge and washer/dryer are in the other apartment) and
hit up family and friends to just grab an armful of clothes, walk 40 feet and hang them in the other closet,
pick up the silverware tray and walk it to the other kitchen drawer, etc.

I actually thought I might do without movers at all but I don't want any said family/friends getting hurt lifting something heavy and have their spouse mad at me... you get the idea.

So...I truly think 2 or 3 guys could do it all in an hour, certainly not more than two... do you think a moving company will even be interested in such a job? Do you agree the price should be "discounted" because
there is no need for a truck or time-travel? Any recommendations? I used 3 Men Movers when I moved
in here and may call for a quote ... just really need to keep this as low-cost as possible. It is a "forced" move in that the management is not renewing leases for your current unit -- they want you to move
to a remodeled apartment (for more $$ of course.) Or you can just leave... for a number of reasons I want to keep things as simple as possible and therefore just move next door.

Thoughts? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2015, 11:33 AM

2,480 posts, read 7,119,606 times
Honestly, I don't think a true moving company would be interested in doing a job like that. I would ask your friends and buy them all some beer. Or ask some college kids to come do it - and buy they some pizza.

Old 08-02-2015, 11:37 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,103,864 times
It is hard to say what a moving company will charge just for moving furniture and all you can do is call and ask.

As far as hitting up family and friends to "just grab and armful of clothes, walk 40 feet and hang them in the other closet",
why do you need anyone to help you with that?
That is something you can do yourself, granted it will take longer but if you do not need help why bother someone else?

Old 08-02-2015, 11:40 AM

45,113 posts, read 60,214,676 times
1. Contact friends.
2. Buy a case or two of beer.
3. Call Domino's for pizza.
4. Move stuff.

Old 08-02-2015, 01:00 PM

967 posts, read 2,603,743 times
15 years ago we did the same thing. Moved between apartments in the same complex. Hired one of those 3 men movers to move the heavy furniture.

I can't remember what it cost, but it wasn't out of line. We got the movers name and number from the apartment leasing office. Craigslist may be a good bet too.

Old 08-02-2015, 01:03 PM

153 posts, read 305,236 times
I did this once, although it was to the other side of the complex. We could literally see the new apartment from the old, but it was across a lake.

No problem hiring movers. I had to pay them the 2-hour minimum, but it was done in 2-3 hours tops. They loaded the truck just because it was easier than walking across a bridge and on a dirt path.

Just call and explain what you want.

Old 08-02-2015, 02:13 PM

88 posts, read 122,730 times
With almost any moving company you'll probably end up paying a trip charge plus a 2-3 hour minimum, so my guess is you're looking at roughly $250 to $300. Why not ask the maintenance guys at the apartment complex? You could probably pay them $20 each to move your furniture.

Old 08-02-2015, 03:00 PM

3,842 posts, read 8,244,664 times
I've never used taskrabbit, but this sounds like a good candidate job.

Old 08-02-2015, 05:11 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,852,153 times
Pay the movers their 2-3 hour minimum.

Old 08-02-2015, 07:10 PM

833 posts, read 1,879,414 times
movinghelp.com have used them several times for my move. I do recommend when using any movers get the first appointment of the day that way you are not waiting on them when the move before you takes too long.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: