Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2015, 09:58 AM

6 posts, read 6,616 times

Advertisements

I am opening up my own law firm soon and I need to fill 1 executive office and 3 offices up. I am quite new to Houston and I hate to pay for new furniture unless its going in my home. Office stuff always gets marked up pretty high. I just need some nice tables and chairs for the place. Nothing modern I want a law firm type a feel. So where would be a good place to head to for office furniture. I don't mind used or refinished items.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2015, 10:21 AM

225 posts, read 516,230 times
I looked at used furniture at 10 or so used stores and wasted a lot of time. There is a lot of junk to go through at most. Most of what I saw was good solid wood furniture from the early 80s that were so out of style at ridiculous prices. I know everything is marked up a lot so they have lots of room to negotiate, but one had a office set that was priced at $16,000. Also, I'd say 95% of all the furniture we saw was cherry colored wood. Most of these places offer refinishing but I don't think it's worth the time and hassle.

We ended up going with some new modern looking particle board furniture from Lindsey's Office Furniture. . A 12x12 receptionist desk it like $800 delivered and a large U-shape desk with hutch is like $1200.

Old 08-05-2015, 10:26 AM

1,502 posts, read 1,756,204 times
Try classifieds.rice.edu.

While I was a student there, I was able to snag a desk and credenza formerly used by one of the university VPs. Price: Free! I still have them, it would cost well over 1000 to replace with pieces of comparable quality.

Old 08-05-2015, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by right View Post
I looked at used furniture at 10 or so used stores and wasted a lot of time. There is a lot of junk to go through at most. Most of what I saw was good solid wood furniture from the early 80s that were so out of style at ridiculous prices. I know everything is marked up a lot so they have lots of room to negotiate, but one had a office set that was priced at $16,000. Also, I'd say 95% of all the furniture we saw was cherry colored wood. Most of these places offer refinishing but I don't think it's worth the time and hassle.

We ended up going with some new modern looking particle board furniture from Lindsey's Office Furniture. . A 12x12 receptionist desk it like $800 delivered and a large U-shape desk with hutch is like $1200.
Oh nice! I did run across Lindseys and they did have some cool stuff online. But, I don't know how updated their site is. Is there any stores like that you could recommend as well?

Old 08-05-2015, 10:43 AM

54 posts, read 73,532 times
Try craigslist never know what you'll come across!

Old 08-05-2015, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashl10 View Post
Try craigslist never know what you'll come across!
Argh I tried doing that but, there is so many bumps within a day due to so many listings. Gets crazy repetitive on there. A bunch of hoarders getting rid of their junk lol. But, yes from time to time when I drop in I see some good stuff.

Old 08-05-2015, 03:08 PM

23,725 posts, read 14,834,604 times
Habitat Restore around Lakewood Forest sometimes has lots of stuff donated by offices who redecorate. Matching desks credenzas, file cabinet. Make them an offer.

Also Salvation Army often has office furniture.

Old 08-05-2015, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
Habitat Restore around Lakewood Forest sometimes has lots of stuff donated by offices who redecorate. Matching desks credenzas, file cabinet. Make them an offer.

Also Salvation Army often has office furniture.
Ok those sound like great ideas. Thank you for your input and time!

Old 08-06-2015, 06:57 AM

2,165 posts, read 3,743,650 times
Go over to Harwin Ave and hit the business furniture stores. Also check out Nextdoor.com as there is all kinds of stuff on there.

Old 08-06-2015, 07:16 AM

2,047 posts, read 2,959,569 times
Do google on used office furniture. There are quite a few stores in town that specialize in office furniture.

Companies closed all the time and usually leave all their stuff in the building. The building would pay to get rid of all them or sell them very cheap.

I was looking for some specific retail racks a while back but came across lot of office desks and furniture.

I almost bought an aeron chair for my home but they still were asking for over half price.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: