Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2015, 08:12 PM

3 posts, read 4,550 times

Advertisements

i made a mistake by drinking and driving...now my life is interrupted by losing my job after 20yrs of working driving a truck....the new texas law says i have to put a interlock in my car or any other car that i drive...i just found out that if im convicted it will be with me for the rest of my life ...cant travel outside the country and also i will have a criminal record...im not a criminal just a person made a mistake now i cant sleep can eat cant pay my bills and im mad.....i have been to rehab...i go to aa...im in a outpaitent..program but i still am mad because im now a unproductive loser..because no one will hire me...im 50 years old. so thanks alot its kind of hard to pay a morgage on minumum wage...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2015, 08:22 PM

94 posts, read 147,557 times
Idk how the court system works but can't you appeal?

Old 08-06-2015, 08:27 PM

105 posts, read 236,382 times
It looks like you are just venting, but seriously, your job depends on driving. I assume that means a CDL, you had to be aware of the penalties for a DWI. I also don't see why you can't travel out of the country. First offense DWI is a criminal (misdemeanor) offense in every state except Wisconsin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldzero View Post
Idk how the court system works but can't you appeal?
Assuming he took a breathalyzer or blood test, there probably isn't much to appeal.

Old 08-06-2015, 10:25 PM

1,728 posts, read 3,442,958 times
dude, who in the hell was your attorney? did you get one? Please don't tell me you just rolled over without a fight.

Lesson for everyone, if you get pulled over just anser yes, no, or "am I being detained or free to go". if you are detained then you have he RIGHT to an attorney before anwering ANY questions. Do not answer or admit to anything by the side of the road. The police is not your friend and not looking out for your best interest, they are doing their job so do yours as well. Will you go to jail for the night? most likely, but your case is intact and they don't have S**T when trial comes around. A DWI attorney told me once that every single person that kept their mouth shut and asked for an attorney before ansering any questions their case got dismissed. This is assuming you are not staggering/falling down drunk and on videotape.

Most people that are stopped are not impared and just because the police "suspect" (they smell alcohol) imparement is reason enough to detain and arrest you.

O,yea, don't drink and drive, it's not worth the hassle.

Last edited by lipbalm; 08-06-2015 at 10:37 PM.. Reason: d

Old 08-06-2015, 10:35 PM

3,398 posts, read 6,082,072 times
I am not an attorney and each state is different but my understanding is that a DWI or DUI is a big insurance liability to employers when driving is a part of the job. Unless you are on probation, I don't see how you can be kept from leaving the country. But with these legal issues, I would think leaving the country wouldn't be a priority.

A good attorney would cost you a lot of money but I imagine the results would've been less severe in the legal sense.

I know a guy with 2 and his 2nd one resulted in a felony due to the property damage and personal injuries suffered.

Old 08-07-2015, 02:23 AM

657 posts, read 740,101 times
I heard they were trying to or might of even done it already, lowered the legal limit to an absurd amount that would equal no more than 2 beers for a grown man. Its a huge money trap

Old 08-07-2015, 02:52 AM

61,713 posts, read 87,123,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doesnt fit View Post
i made a mistake by drinking and driving...now my life is interrupted by losing my job after 20yrs of working driving a truck....the new texas law says i have to put a interlock in my car or any other car that i drive...i just found out that if im convicted it will be with me for the rest of my life ...cant travel outside the country and also i will have a criminal record...im not a criminal just a person made a mistake now i cant sleep can eat cant pay my bills and im mad.....i have been to rehab...i go to aa...im in a outpaitent..program but i still am mad because im now a unproductive loser..because no one will hire me...im 50 years old. so thanks alot its kind of hard to pay a morgage on minumum wage...
Actually you got lucky, you still can drive. You are 50 not 15, you knew the consequences and you decided to drive while drunk. Don't blame the system - blame YOU.
You KNEW what's going to happen when you get caught (wonder how many times you were not caught)
This is no new to you - you have been to rehab, currently going to AA and outpatient program. You HAVE a drinking problem!
I have absolutely no sympathy for drunk drivers. You can stop whining...

Here are THE FACTS:

Administrative Penalties

First offense arrest under suspicion of DWI initiates process of administrative license suspension, which involves minimum suspension period of 90 days (up to 180 days), unless otherwise successfully contested
Refusals to submit under implied consent laws carry mandatory license suspension of one hundred and eighty (180) days
License reinstatement for first offense does not require completion of alcohol/substance abuse screening , nor are drivers required to utilize ignition interlock devices, unless specifically ordered by courts

Looks like you are not a FIRST time offender.

Criminal penalties:

First offense convictions of DUI/DWI in Texas carry minimum incarceration of three days with a maximum of 180 days. Elevating factors and associated penalties include first offense with minor (person under age of 15) present carries incarceration ranging from one hundred and eighty (180) days to two (2) years

Fines not in excess of $2,000 applicable to regular DUI/DWI cases in Texas, but if minor present, fine maximums increased to not more than $10,000

State of Texas also employs surcharge program for DUI/DWI offenders, which requires payment of $1,000 annually for three (3) years for offenders as part of DWI surcharge program. If BAC higher than .16, surcharge increased to $2,000 annually for period of three (3) years

Convictions remain on record and influence future DWI criminal cases for period of ten (10) years

First Offense DWI/DUI in Texas: Laws, Penalties, and Plea Options | DrivingLaws.org

2+ DWI offense require interlock.

Texas DUI | Drunk Driving Laws, Penalties and Fines | DrivingLaws.org

Old 08-07-2015, 03:15 AM

61,713 posts, read 87,123,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lipbalm View Post
dude, who in the hell was your attorney? did you get one? Please don't tell me you just rolled over without a fight.

Lesson for everyone, if you get pulled over just anser yes, no, or "am I being detained or free to go". if you are detained then you have he RIGHT to an attorney before anwering ANY questions. Do not answer or admit to anything by the side of the road. The police is not your friend and not looking out for your best interest, they are doing their job so do yours as well. Will you go to jail for the night? most likely, but your case is intact and they don't have S**T when trial comes around. A DWI attorney told me once that every single person that kept their mouth shut and asked for an attorney before ansering any questions their case got dismissed. This is assuming you are not staggering/falling down drunk and on videotape.

Most people that are stopped are not impared and just because the police "suspect" (they smell alcohol) imparement is reason enough to detain and arrest you.

O,yea, don't drink and drive, it's not worth the hassle.
Nice rant, but read OP again.
He HAS ongoing drinking problem. He admitted that he was drinking and driving.
Do you really want him to be on the roads???

Old 08-07-2015, 05:56 AM

2,165 posts, read 3,773,570 times
Do the crime. Do the time. No sympathy here.

I think the punishment fits the crime. Imagine if you would have killed someone. ��

Old 08-07-2015, 06:16 AM

1,561 posts, read 2,370,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doesnt fit View Post
You think your life was "interrupted"? Just sit back and thank your lucky stars you didn't kill someone. You got off easy IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston