Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2015, 03:22 PM

2,068 posts, read 2,921,505 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
The beaches are not "horrible" in Galveston although they are not as nice as in Florida. Again given the chance Houstonians never fail to take any opportunity to throw Galveston under the fastest bus they can find.

One has to wonder if the OP is not playing a practical joke on the forum by describing a idealized "Hemingwayesque" lifestyle then asking if Houston can provide the equivalent experience. I seriously doubt anybody from Florida is not aware of how Florida beaches compare to other locations especially on the East and Gulf coast. I'm thinking the OP is getting her kicks from watching self loathing Houstonians kick their own lifestyles into a garbage can showing their feelings of inferiority. Get over it guys
The vast majority of the things the OP lists as reasons for liking Miami can be found in Houston as well(albeit with a different vibe), yet people say that "there is nothing comparable." You are right, many Houstonians do self loathe, and haven't the slightest clue about their city.

For instance, Galveston; although Galveston's beaches aren't as good as Florida's, the island more than makes up for it with its deep historical charm and depths, reflected through the architecture and constructs still standing to this day, as well as the local culture. Such as an aspect the beach towns in South Florida aren't really known for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2015, 03:26 PM

2,047 posts, read 2,982,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yn0hTnA View Post
The vast majority of the things the OP lists as reasons for liking Miami can be found in Houston as well(albeit with a different vibe), yet people say that there is nothing.
Should we compare Stewart beach vs West Beach?

The list is pretty much not comparable. His list is more of a why you would like Miami more than things I would like to have in Houston.

Old 08-11-2015, 08:45 AM

804 posts, read 1,074,822 times
- Great mixture of people from different cultures, a lot of Caribbean, Hispanic, and European influence here.

yup we got diversity. yup the united states has no European influence anywhere but florida.

- More than 10 major beaches here, every beach has its own flavor (South Beach, Pompano Beach, Hollywood Beach, etc).

we got beaches

- South Florida is an event town, always something happening from a major artist performing a concert, to chances of getting Superbowls, to Worldcup watch parties at different bars (Major Hispanic and european population here, people call in sick to watch worldcup games at their favorite spots), etc.

we have events too.

- Great nightlife here for from clubs, bars, sports teams, upscale restaurants, shows at the performing arts center, concert, etc.

we have all that.

- Miami has a great downtown city, Brickell (a neighborhood in downtown Miami) has a nickname "Manhattan of the South."

our downtown is well downtown. our nickname is "clutch city"

- 2 Major ocean ports in the area (3 if you count West Palm Beach port, but I don't consider that a major one) that host a lot of cruise ships and container ships. Port of Miami is the 1st port on the Eastern Seaboard that ports call to after they exit the Panama Canal from Asia. (I am in the international trade business so this is major for me). The Allure of the Seas and Oasis of the Seas (2 largest cruise ships) call Port Everglades home.

oh we got ports. but the port of Houston is tiny compared to everyone else.lol international trade huh? is that a pc term for something else?

- No more than 3 hours away from the Caribbean, Jamaica, and Cuba. They are some cruise ship companies and smaller companies that offer weekend getaways leaving Friday and coming back Sunday. Some people own their boats and sail there every so often to get away.

we have airplanes and boats too.

- 10 Billion dollar block: By 2020 downtown miami is will be completing 10 billion dollars worth of new mixed use skyscrapers, museums, shopping centers, and more.

we do lots of construction here don't be fooled. but we don't like tall buildings, places that make you smarter,we hunt for our food and knit our own clothes in texas we don't shop.

- Thats just some of the reasons why South Florida is a great place to live.

Good for you. sounds like you need to stay there. we have enough transplants as it is.

Old 08-11-2015, 10:27 AM

5,287 posts, read 5,783,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theone33 View Post
^lol. Miami is such a fake and plastic city, reminds me of LA
That's a common opinion people have for most newer cities. People say the same thing about Dallas, which is also younger than Houston. But the fact of the matter is that the plastic facade associated with these places does not pervade the entire city. In Miami you still have real culture, just like Houston.

People make cities, and people are people everywhere.

Old 08-11-2015, 10:37 AM

5,287 posts, read 5,783,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yn0hTnA View Post
The vast majority of the things the OP lists as reasons for liking Miami can be found in Houston as well(albeit with a different vibe), yet people say that "there is nothing comparable." You are right, many Houstonians do self loathe, and haven't the slightest clue about their city.

For instance, Galveston; although Galveston's beaches aren't as good as Florida's, the island more than makes up for it with its deep historical charm and depths, reflected through the architecture and constructs still standing to this day, as well as the local culture. Such as an aspect the beach towns in South Florida aren't really known for.
South Florida's answer to Galveston would be Key West. Plenty of interesting history down there, even though it's several hours further away from Miami.

Old 08-11-2015, 11:38 AM

2,068 posts, read 2,921,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post
South Florida's answer to Galveston would be Key West. Plenty of interesting history down there, even though it's several hours further away from Miami.
Relative to the time of development and commerce, South Florida locales actually have decent amounts of historical architecture and preservation; Key West especially is great in this regard, still having the old home of author Ernest Hemingway.

However, the historical charm of South Florida locales won't be as entrenched as that of Galveston's, or other places on the northern Gulf, such as Mobile, or New Orleans; these cities were thriving centers of commerce since before the Civil War, with the architectural layers and cultural legacy to reflect that, whereas much of South Florida did not have much of a population at the time.

Old 08-11-2015, 03:12 PM

115 posts, read 147,096 times
I have extended family in lake worth. we visit every year and spend a few days in south beach.
The things about south florida that bugs the crap out of me is:
- the non highway driving. It's like suburb worse than katy - block after block of strip malls and stop lights and again and again and again. it's so spread out.
- killer humidity -
- average population age must be over 65

Houston has better restaurants, better nightlife, more theatre, more art, etc. Much easier access to organic groceries and speciality foods. A younger crowd in houston and all the stuff that appeals to them (entertainment, food, etc.) You'll replace the cuban food with Vietnamese, Korean & Asian Fusion. Yummm.

Unfortunately our beaches can't compare. Do as my husband did and take up shooting/hunting.

Old 08-11-2015, 03:26 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,598,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ej35401 View Post
Unfortunately our beaches can't compare. Do as my husband did and take up shooting/hunting.
Or spearfishing out at the rigs where the water is beautiful.

Old 08-11-2015, 05:52 PM

46 posts, read 68,798 times
Thanks everyone, it looks like the choice is to stay in South Florida from what I am reading. An official offer hasn't been presented to me yet from my job, but now that I have some more information I can make a better informed choice.

And yes, I am young and not interested in starting a family in my 20s, so even though I can appreciate the more family oriented Houston atmosphere, I am not in that stage of my life.

Old 08-11-2015, 07:27 PM

105 posts, read 144,105 times
Yes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston