U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2015, 10:43 AM

144 posts, read 198,587 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know approximately what it would cost for me to convert part of my game room (upstairs) to a media room?

What about just the cost to convert part of the game room (upstairs) to a regular room without windows and closet) that I can use for movies without all the extra surround sound etc...?

My game room is about 17x20

Thank you!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2015, 11:59 AM

115 posts, read 189,415 times
really depends on what you want done.
will the room stay as is and you just need a projector, screen, speakers and other equipment?
or do you need remodeling where walls need to be added\taken out ?

Old 08-10-2015, 12:51 PM

805 posts, read 928,767 times
if that is all the information you can provide then no one can help you.

You do realize home theater equipment alone is thousands of dollars at best. And it can get crasy expensive.

Old 08-10-2015, 01:01 PM

144 posts, read 198,587 times
Excellent points and I apologize for not providing more info.

I'm looking for standard middle of be road equipment and nothing crazy.

I'm even considering just converting it to a room with walls and a nice size TV and some nice theatre seats.

What do you think it will cost to add a standard room without windows nor closet?

Old 08-10-2015, 01:11 PM

225 posts, read 469,702 times
somewhere in the range of $1,000 - $30,000

Old 08-10-2015, 01:50 PM

7,206 posts, read 10,510,544 times
If your just looking for equipment and not doing any remodeling if you shop around and read online reviews like this site

Reviews and tests from the best sources, Testfreaks collects it all.

$4k to $7k now if you looking for a high end theater screen and like 4 to 6 theater chairs $12k to $30k

Old 08-10-2015, 02:09 PM

34,637 posts, read 19,105,814 times
If your room is 17 x 20, it wouldn't make much sense to divide it up if you're doing a real theater room.

In that situation, I'd use black out treatments on any windows. I'd close out the room assuming it's open on one end, and have an entrance door. I'd have a small component room built behind the screen where you'd have your components and your front and center channel speakers directly behind the screen. I'd have risers build going back to elevate the rows and sound treatments put on the walls. Definitely go with projection.

If I had to take a blind guess at the cost ,making a lot of assumptions, you're probably looking at around $30k to have a GOOD home theater with someone else doing the work.

Old 08-10-2015, 02:36 PM

413 posts, read 1,104,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoreCore View Post
Excellent points and I apologize for not providing more info.

I'm looking for standard middle of be road equipment and nothing crazy.

I'm even considering just converting it to a room with walls and a nice size TV and some nice theatre seats.

What do you think it will cost to add a standard room without windows nor closet?
1.) Is your media room covered from all 4 sides with just few windows? I mean, it's not open on one side etc. If no construction is needed, covering windows with curtains

2.) Do you need soundproofing? 5K for this.

3.) Pre -wiring is easy, you'll need that.

4) Installation of power bridge in ceiling for projector, you don't want to plug it directly into the outlet without UPS/battery backup etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston