Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2015, 01:21 PM

112 posts, read 199,275 times

Advertisements

I was looking into fiberglass also, but never really found a company that installs them that would respond to my questions. Most companies I found around Houston sell gunite pools. The two I found that listed fiberglass pools, never responded to my calls or emails. Meanwhile I can't convince Anthony/Sylvan Pools that I'm not looking for a gunite pool. They call me, send me emails and ads in the snail mail ��
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2015, 01:26 PM

222 posts, read 450,564 times

From what Ive seen, this happens just as frequently to gunite pools... Especially if the pool is low or empty... I looked at 2 houses before we bought ours in cypress both with popped concrete pools.

Old 08-11-2015, 01:30 PM

Thus far ive been in contact with Aquamarine pools of Houston (Viking, trilogy, liberty dealer) and Kanga pools (Leisure dealer) Ive heard good things about Viking and Leisure shells... The forty footers we like are about 40k. We may go this route and have the pool builder do the patio slab then just add our own 3-4k hot tube vs the pool builders 18k spa, lol. Aquamarine pools told me they dont do any wood or construction so our 2nd story deck and patio cover would have to come from somewhere else.

Old 08-11-2015, 01:48 PM

1,835 posts, read 3,266,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by p0opstlnksal0t View Post
Thus far ive been in contact with Aquamarine pools of Houston (Viking, trilogy, liberty dealer) and Kanga pools (Leisure dealer) Ive heard good things about Viking and Leisure shells... The forty footers we like are about 40k. We may go this route and have the pool builder do the patio slab then just add our own 3-4k hot tube vs the pool builders 18k spa, lol. Aquamarine pools told me they dont do any wood or construction so our 2nd story deck and patio cover would have to come from somewhere else.
For $40K, you would be miles ahead getting a gunite pool. Gunite is extremely durable, significantly more so than fiberglass if done properly. The most important thing you can do is ensure that the rebar is done properly, especially in corners, with adequate spacing, and to ensure that the rebar is on the footers, and not just sitting in the gunite or on the ground when sprayed. Gunite is an amazing product for our area.

If done correctly, not in the dead heat of the summer, and then properly cured, gunite is superior to fiberglass in every single way. The fiberglass will break down over time, the gunite will not. After about 20-30 years the gunite will need to be replastered, but by that time, the fiberglass may need to be replaced in its entirety...replastering is only a $2500-$4000 job, and by that time most people are ready for a different pool tile anyway.

Im not sure what the additional maintenance costs you refer to would be? Most thing that go wrong with a pool are related to broken pipes, and a fiberglass pool will have the same issues as a gunite pool in that regard (unless its an above ground pool)...the shifting of the ground can break PVC if its severe, and the material chosen is not going to change that.

Also a fiberglass pool may actually reduce your property value for resale b/c it is something that is very uncommon in this area and is generally regarded as an inferior, cheaper product.....if you are thinking an above ground pool, then it will be guaranteed to reduce your value. An above ground pool is a liability for resale in this area every single time.

That is just my 2 cents.

Old 08-11-2015, 02:36 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,615,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marksmu View Post
That is just my 2 cents.
I know for a fact you can afford to offer more than that.

Cheap rich people.

Old 08-11-2015, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marksmu View Post
For $40K, you would be miles ahead getting a gunite pool. Gunite is extremely durable, significantly more so than fiberglass if done properly. The most important thing you can do is ensure that the rebar is done properly, especially in corners, with adequate spacing, and to ensure that the rebar is on the footers, and not just sitting in the gunite or on the ground when sprayed. Gunite is an amazing product for our area.

If done correctly, not in the dead heat of the summer, and then properly cured, gunite is superior to fiberglass in every single way. The fiberglass will break down over time, the gunite will not. After about 20-30 years the gunite will need to be replastered, but by that time, the fiberglass may need to be replaced in its entirety...replastering is only a $2500-$4000 job, and by that time most people are ready for a different pool tile anyway.

Im not sure what the additional maintenance costs you refer to would be? Most thing that go wrong with a pool are related to broken pipes, and a fiberglass pool will have the same issues as a gunite pool in that regard (unless its an above ground pool)...the shifting of the ground can break PVC if its severe, and the material chosen is not going to change that.

Also a fiberglass pool may actually reduce your property value for resale b/c it is something that is very uncommon in this area and is generally regarded as an inferior, cheaper product.....if you are thinking an above ground pool, then it will be guaranteed to reduce your value. An above ground pool is a liability for resale in this area every single time.

That is just my 2 cents.

Thanks for the insight. For peace of mind I am also contacting pool builders to get some quotes on a gunite setup. Ive emails in to Houston cool pools, supreme pools, Picasso pools, cobalt and Omega... Supreme emailed be back immediately to ask how I found out about them and that they would have a designer contact me soon. I already have a cad file showing the available area so hopefully it will help...

Attached Thumbnails
Best Fiberglass pool contractor in Houston & install in winter?-gunite.jpg  

Old 08-11-2015, 04:59 PM

2,047 posts, read 2,984,752 times
There is always going to be foundation issue also. I don't know how it will stay with fiberglass when it move.

Old 08-12-2015, 07:21 AM

Thanks for the info everyone. I might see if it would be possible to find a pool builder that can do the pool and build our wood patio/2nd floor deck and patio cover. then roll it into 1 loan. Does 60k seem like a reasonable budget for this?

Old 07-10-2017, 10:55 AM

42 posts, read 78,613 times
Default What was your outcome?

I am looking at putting in a pool and keep reading how much better fiberglass is over gunite. What did you finally decide and who did you go with? Any lessons learned?

Old 08-21-2017, 01:21 PM

221 posts, read 243,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karoe View Post
I am looking at putting in a pool and keep reading how much better fiberglass is over gunite. What did you finally decide and who did you go with? Any lessons learned?
I moved up to Maine, haha, sorry
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: