U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2008, 08:08 PM

2 posts, read 15,881 times

Advertisements

Hi guys! I will be moving from Fort Worth to Houston to attend Houston dental school in July and need suggestions on where to live. I am 23 female looking for a good, **safe** apartment where I can go home at night and not have to worry and to live by myself for four years. I would like to live close to medical center so i don't have to commute far from home to school. I've been looking online at various apartments around the Texas medical center and very scared after the ratings about breaking in and burglary I guess since I have to live by myself and so I am scared now, therefore, please give me some recommendation and also what do you guys think about these apartments?: Lanesborough Apt, Greenbriar Apt, Maroneal Apt, Kirby Place Apt, Brompton Courts Apt, and Braeswood Park Condominium(u can rent from a condo right?)? At first I was only gonna spend about $600-750 on a 1 bedroom/1bath, but I am willing to pay up to $850 for my safety Thanks in advance!

Lin
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2008, 09:22 PM

1,461 posts, read 5,219,007 times
AMLI at the Medical Center or Lanesborough Apt would be ideal.

Old 01-25-2008, 11:53 PM

8,322 posts, read 28,331,935 times
I'd live in Midtown and ride the rail down to TMC. Just do an advanced search on my previous posts about my experiences living in TMC. While nice on the surface, it was home to a lot of crap and riff raff I would've rather not dealt with. After spending 800/mo on a 1/1 apartment. Your mileage may vary, though.

Old 01-26-2008, 05:37 AM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 11,834,267 times
There are quite a few nicer apartment complexes around the Med Center, but I'd look for a garage apartment, duplex, or 4-plex, or smaller complex around the Museum District, Rice Village/West U, or Lower Shepherd-Kirby, like this GreatLandlords.com. Consult craigslist, Houston Press, har.com, thegreensheet.com, and greatlandlords.com for residential leases or check other threads around here. You could actually live any number of places within the west side of the loop and still be relatively close to the Med Center. Since you're going to UT (I take it?), I'm sure they will have suggestions for you. Did they just throw an apartment guide at you and send you on your way?

tstone, you had a bad experience at a complex closer to the Astrodome or around there, right? That's always been a dead zone. There are a couple nice-ish complexes over there now. It would probably be more useful to tell at which complex (Scotland Yard?) you had the bad experience.

Last edited by houstoner; 01-26-2008 at 05:55 AM..

Old 01-26-2008, 09:39 AM

687 posts, read 1,975,468 times
Take a look at Cambridge Apts. It's about 1.5 mi. from Med Ctr., and is gated, with a security guard. I know someone who lives there, and she is pretty satisfied with security. Also, on Knight Road, just south of Old Spanish Trail, there's a large, newly built, gated apt. complex for students I think, next to the Recreation Center and the UT police station.
It's always good to pay attention to your environment, no matter where you live. Don't walk around with headphones on, music blaring... You may want to consider chatting with a UT police officer, and asking his/her opinion re: safety and nearby apts. The ones I've met are all very nice and helpful.

Old 01-26-2008, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstoner View Post

tstone, you had a bad experience at a complex closer to the Astrodome or around there, right? That's always been a dead zone. There are a couple nice-ish complexes over there now. It would probably be more useful to tell at which complex (Scotland Yard?) you had the bad experience.

It was Archstone Medical Center, which sat nestled in the streets Knight, Holly Hall and Fannin.

Archstone Medical Center in Houston at ArchstoneApartments.com (http://www.archstoneapartments.com/Apartments/Texas/Houston/Archstone_Medical_Center/ - broken link) -- go through the photos... doesn't look too bad, huh? It was a good day when the security gates actually worked, though.

My cousin lives closer to Hermann Park/museum area and there was a rash of home/apartment invasions a few months ago. Luckily her loft didn't get hit but some of her neighbors and one of her friends adjacent to her complex did. It was all over the news for awhile.

You have to also remember living in TMC you will be living around many deathly ill patients. There's nothing wrong with it by itself, but it's depressing and draining on the psyche after awhile.

I forgot about the Rice area. That's quite nice. Closer than Midtown, too. Looking back we definitely shoulda lived there.

Last edited by tstone; 01-26-2008 at 01:56 PM..

Old 01-26-2008, 05:51 PM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 11,834,267 times
^^Yeah, I've never liked Holly Hall and that area. Gets choked with traffic when there are events at Reliant, too.

What do you mean? Are you referring to patients in the apartments or the hospitals? I've known of people flying in and out of Houston for treatments at the Med Center, but I guess I never thought about them staying in apartments.

Old 01-26-2008, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstoner View Post
^^Yeah, I've never liked Holly Hall and that area. Gets choked with traffic when there are events at Reliant, too.

What do you mean? Are you referring to patients in the apartments or the hospitals? I've known of people flying in and out of Houston for treatments at the Med Center, but I guess I never thought about them staying in apartments.

Yeah, the rodeo traffic was horrible. Nothing like sitting on your balcony at night, breathing diesel fumes from all the buses lined up on the street. And when that was over with, just too much riff raff and homeless people were lurking around the area after about 11pm. You could find people hooking at that gas station on Holly Hall/Knight. I used to work weird hours and was a night owl sometimes, so I got to see what was really going on.

And yes, some patients would sign leases in apartments in the area if they were on long-term treatments. Usually the type that were necessary every day but didn't require hospital rooms. The complex had all kinds of lease terms available when I was there. Sad stuff, indeed. Even pre-K aged kids.

Old 01-27-2008, 11:42 AM

2 posts, read 15,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
I'd live in Midtown and ride the rail down to TMC. Just do an advanced search on my previous posts about my experiences living in TMC. While nice on the surface, it was home to a lot of crap and riff raff I would've rather not dealt with. After spending 800/mo on a 1/1 apartment. Your mileage may vary, though.
Can I ask you how much you pay a month for an apartment in Midtown? I was checking the area out online and looked at some apartments, it seem like it's going to cost me about a 1000 a month for a bedroom(?) I don't know if I can really afford that tho..

Old 01-27-2008, 12:43 PM

I meant if I were you I'd look there instead. Also, the Rice U area.

$1,000 a month for either area is maybe upper-middle end, but not unreasonable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: