Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2015, 05:49 AM

73 posts, read 97,392 times

Advertisements

Just bought my first house in Houston and it's a new home, I realized it doesn't have gutters on it, now I come from Milwaukee, WI where we had basements so all homes had gutters, but are they needed to protect the foundation here? Or is it not a big deal? I'm wondering if it's worth it to put them on?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2015, 06:10 AM

756 posts, read 833,778 times
Lightbulb Get Gutters:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tya1987 View Post
Just bought my first house in Houston and it's a new home, I realized it doesn't have gutters on it, now I come from Milwaukee, WI where we had basements so all homes had gutters, but are they needed to protect the foundation here? Or is it not a big deal? I'm wondering if it's worth it to put them on?

Old 08-17-2015, 06:13 AM

693 posts, read 1,107,643 times
Not a big deal. You don't need gutters.

Old 08-17-2015, 06:45 AM

1,133 posts, read 2,019,655 times
It depends. How is your drainage and drip line off your house? Is your backyard being flooded from the water running off the roof? If so, you probably want to divert the water off using gutters. Are you getting erosion from the drip line on your roof? If so, you probably want to divert the water off using gutters. My previous house didn't have rear gutters and I never needed them. My current home absolutely needed rear gutters, but not side ones. So, really it depends on your situation. The good news is that they aren't terribly expensive to have installed.

Old 08-17-2015, 06:51 AM

23,972 posts, read 15,072,142 times
Most inspectors recommend gutters.

How much overhang is there? Are you putting in planting beds around the house? It also depends on the amount of runoff from the roof. Some places there is hardly any, some places a torrent comes off the roof that would wash away anything on the ground.

We have purchased a couple of houses in wooded areas where the owners put in rock for about 15-18 inches around the foundation rather than constantly cleaning gutters.

Old 08-17-2015, 10:11 AM

234 posts, read 292,682 times
not required, but depending on landscaping, etc. it can get messy without them.

Old 08-17-2015, 10:38 AM

2,052 posts, read 5,871,270 times
Like many have said, depends on what you have below the eaves, and how the water washes off the roof. Our home came with gutters on the front of the house that extending back about 3' on the sides primarily because it had nice landscaping installed in the front. I added gutters to the rear corner by our detached garage because during a downpour, it would splash a lot as you are walking to the back door. We have a lot of the rain from the roof concentrated in a small paved area right by where you walk. But in the areas where it is just grass or pavement, we did not bother with them and have no issues except for a water drip line on the driveway and patio.

I end up cleaning them out on a ladder once a year, usually when installing Christmas lights after the leaves have fallen since I'm on the ladder anyway. I usually run the water hose through it another time later in the year if I see they are filling up. I do need to re glue some of the end caps and replace downspouts as they are showing wear.

If you do get some, I would recommend getting the larger downspouts since they will not clog as easily as the smaller ones. Mine will clog up occasionally, and I will be replacing them all with the larger ones. And I certainly prefer the screw on hidden mounting hooks vs the nail and ferrule installation.

Good luck!

Old 08-17-2015, 04:52 PM
bu2

24,080 posts, read 14,872,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trbstang View Post
Like many have said, depends on what you have below the eaves, and how the water washes off the roof. Our home came with gutters on the front of the house that extending back about 3' on the sides primarily because it had nice landscaping installed in the front. I added gutters to the rear corner by our detached garage because during a downpour, it would splash a lot as you are walking to the back door. We have a lot of the rain from the roof concentrated in a small paved area right by where you walk. But in the areas where it is just grass or pavement, we did not bother with them and have no issues except for a water drip line on the driveway and patio.

I end up cleaning them out on a ladder once a year, usually when installing Christmas lights after the leaves have fallen since I'm on the ladder anyway. I usually run the water hose through it another time later in the year if I see they are filling up. I do need to re glue some of the end caps and replace downspouts as they are showing wear.

If you do get some, I would recommend getting the larger downspouts since they will not clog as easily as the smaller ones. Mine will clog up occasionally, and I will be replacing them all with the larger ones. And I certainly prefer the screw on hidden mounting hooks vs the nail and ferrule installation.

Good luck!
Also depends on your shingles and windows. We had a house with a short overhang. The person who had re-built it was using it to keep the foundation watered. But the impact was that water dripped on the wood windows and we had a lot of wood rot.

Of course with gutters, you tend to get wood rot behind the gutters.

Old 08-17-2015, 04:59 PM

8,895 posts, read 19,994,493 times
Unless you enjoy having your sides of your home look like algae -- yes you need gutters.

Old 08-17-2015, 05:21 PM

61,679 posts, read 87,060,489 times
Some houses have gutters, some not. Check yours during/after heavy rain. If water will drain away from the house when it falls off of the roof, then you don't need gutters.
Gutters play a key role in properly handling water; however, they are not easy to maintain, and we do not always see them as necessary.
In Houston with some really heavy rains, your concern is how you force the water away from your house. Depends what kind of roof you have you might want gutter on the back of your house, or upper roof, or all around the house.
If you don't like gutters, you need to consider what happen on the ground. You surely don't want water to pool, so having some object that forces the water away may be the answer. You could regrade the land here, then install a splashguard. You could have a decorative stones, or something that splashes the water away from the house. A well maintained gutter would be the best, but you do have cheaper options.

If you decide to have gutter, remember that you need to do periodical cleaning. There are different gutter systems, some almost maintenance free. A cheaper solution is to have screens over the gutter and clean it 1-2 times a year ( leaves, needles, little pebbles for UV protection on composite shingles, or branches).

How to Improve Your Home's Gutters | Inspected Thoughts
//www.city-data.com/forum/houst...utterless.html
Less and less often is the use of gutters necessary - Your Houston News: Tom Tynan
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston