Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2015, 07:14 AM

73 posts, read 89,548 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipuck View Post
77036 went way downhill before Katrina. Remember West Oaks Mall or Sharpstown Mall? If you have no issue living there I guess the regular gunshots are hear are like lullaby to you when you sleep at night.

Now regarding all the crawfish resturant. Have you been to one of them? I can tell you that whole industry was probably bought to Houston by Vietnamese more than New Orleans/LA folks. From farming/catching them to wholesale to opening most of the restaurants, most of them are own and operated by Vietnamese folks.

I guess if you are used to crime and have no issue receiving government hangouts, I guess the refugees do blend right in to you.
Yes I remember both of those malls and???

Yeah that was my zip code as a college student 10 years ago and yes I grew up in the "hood", but my mom or I are both college educated and were never on government assistance and she owned her own in that same zipcode before selling it.

Nobody is fan of crime but if your not out in the streets doing dirt then crime has a good way of avoiding you as anyone who grew up in the "hood" can tell you.

You need to get out more because there are plenty of Louisiana natives who own small seafood/crawfish spots. If you take trip to New Orleans go to one of the local seafood restaurants and guess what, you will see an Asian behind the counter.

If you go to any grocery store on the southwest side you will see people of all races during crawfish season buying sacks to have crawfish boils at home.

Just because someone grew up in the hood does not mean that they had any type of handout, but it would take a well rounded educated person to understand that which you seem not to be

And as I stand on my saying most of the folks from New Orleans who are still here work and are no burden to the city of Houston.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2015, 07:52 AM

639 posts, read 821,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meilmarc View Post
Yes I remember both of those malls and???

Yeah that was my zip code as a college student 10 years ago and yes I grew up in the "hood", but my mom or I are both college educated and were never on government assistance and she owned her own in that same zipcode before selling it.

Nobody is fan of crime but if your not out in the streets doing dirt then crime has a good way of avoiding you as anyone who grew up in the "hood" can tell you.

You need to get out more because there are plenty of Louisiana natives who own small seafood/crawfish spots. If you take trip to New Orleans go to one of the local seafood restaurants and guess what, you will see an Asian behind the counter.

If you go to any grocery store on the southwest side you will see people of all races during crawfish season buying sacks to have crawfish boils at home.

Just because someone grew up in the hood does not mean that they had any type of handout, but it would take a well rounded educated person to understand that which you seem not to be

And as I stand on my saying most of the folks from New Orleans who are still here work and are no burden to the city of Houston.
Well said. Thank you for telling the TRUTH. Also, let the truth be told even more that a lot of the negative and disrepectful comments that have been said about New Orleans is racially motivated. Everyone knows that pre-katrina New Orleans was 70% black, its currently 60% black. Once again thank you for shedding light on the truth in your posts. Peace to you and your family.

Old 08-27-2015, 02:10 PM

14,888 posts, read 10,033,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NativeSon504 View Post
Well in that case, you can attest to all of the construction going on downtown. The construction is just not downtown either its all over but you would not know that if you just spend all your time in downtown New Orleans. This is typical of most visitors to New Orleans that's why when they access New Orleans as WHOLE they only base it off French Quarter/Downtown which New Orleans is much more but you'd never know that if you didn't explore. Also contrary to popular belief the OVERALL crime in New Orleans is low compared to other urban areas, New Orleans problem is it has and has had for a long time a VERY high murder rate which consistantly ranks in the top 3 annually, which is RIDICULOUS but there are many things being done to try to combat that. So if you don't involve yourself in illegal activity and you stay clear of certain areas and certain crowds, you'll be fine for the most part just like MOST cities.
I can attest that there is construction going on downtown, I can also attest that 2 of the people in my 24 person training class were mugged walking a block off of Bourbon street. The fact that there's construction downtown means very little to what I said.

Old 08-27-2015, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meilmarc View Post
Most of these folks claiming that New Orleans caused all these problems have no clue. In 2005 my zip code was 77036 in the beechnut/corporate/club creek area in southwest Houston witch has had a crime problem for decades and before Katrina hit in 2005 these streets were super hot with shooting/murders. Yeah a few kids/teens had problems with New Orleans folks but overall everyone got along and mixed in well. The southwest side is still heavily populated with new orleans natives, but 95 percent of them have decent jobs and have blended in well. just look at all the crawfish restaurants around town now. Even Hispanics are having crawfish boils now lol, you didnt see that 10 years ago.

Sadly some of these post on this topic are sickening, how can an american be a refugee. Katrina was a bad situation, but I've met some great people from New Orleans who treat me like family.
Nobody said or is trying to say that there were no run down $hitholes in Houston before Katrina hit, that's simply not true. It is however a fact that things got worse after the city was flooded with people who didn't appreciate what Houston did for them because they never appreciated New Orleans in the first place.

Old 08-28-2015, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
I can attest that there is construction going on downtown, I can also attest that 2 of the people in my 24 person training class were mugged walking a block off of Bourbon street. The fact that there's construction downtown means very little to what I said.
Unfortunately those two people were mugged and I hope they are okay but you speak as as if muggings are exclusive to NOLA. If your training class was in another urban environment you don't think those people could have been mugged there too? Knock it off please. You're funny.

Old 08-28-2015, 05:52 AM

657 posts, read 740,101 times
Quote:
Unfortunately those two people were mugged and I hope they are okay but you speak as as if muggings are exclusive to NOLA. If your training class was in another urban environment you don't think those people could have been mugged there too? Knock it off please. You're funny.
Are you even in Houston Maybe I dont know...move back to NO if you feel the need to defend it so much and contribute nothing else in the Houston section

Old 08-28-2015, 08:19 AM

5,287 posts, read 5,788,728 times
The only city that this thread is making look bad is Houston.

The only thing Katrina did was bring blacks and crime to areas of Houston that previously had less experience with both. So when people say the "city" got worse, they really mean their own neighborhood did. You won't hear anyone talking about Fifth Ward or Sunnyside getting worse after the storm, because no one would care if it did anyway.

Last edited by Gunion Powder; 08-28-2015 at 08:28 AM..

Old 08-28-2015, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theone33 View Post
Are you even in Houston Maybe I dont know...move back to NO if you feel the need to defend it so much and contribute nothing else in the Houston section
No I'm not in Houston but I respect Houston. I'm not in New Orleans either but I am a native and refuse to allow folks to disrespect it and say things about the people as a WHOLE that are not true. Now tell me what's wrong with that?

Old 08-28-2015, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theone33 View Post
He's in another Southern Louisiana town, he just spends most of his time defending New Orleans for some odd reason.

Old 08-28-2015, 10:12 AM

Quote:
No I'm not in Houston but I respect Houston. I'm not in New Orleans either but I am a native and refuse to allow folks to disrespect it and say things about the people as a WHOLE that are not true. Now tell me what's wrong with that?
Imagine how much more that would mean if you had an ounce of authority or actual knowledge. Some of us in this forum spent months and years putting up with the wave of refugees that Katrina brought to Houston so we know what actually took place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston