Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2015, 01:26 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,199,048 times

Advertisements

Could be a combo of everything mentioned:

Leak
Meter not read prior to your buying
Sprinklers over-watering

That's a really, really, really high bill - something is wrong

Have you asked your neighbors what their bills are running?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2015, 01:37 PM

64 posts, read 82,223 times
I saw people painting the grass near Beltway 8. Maybe artificial grass will be cheaper?

Old 08-25-2015, 01:57 PM

670 posts, read 1,442,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikeme View Post
How many gallons was the bill for? .

Old 08-25-2015, 02:11 PM

237 posts, read 648,550 times
Have a very similar size house and yard to the original poster. I run our sprinkler for the yard every other day for maybe 10 min each zone, some less, some more depending on the area. I run the flower bed zone every day, but only for maybe 5 min. We just got our bill for the month and it was $85.

Old 08-25-2015, 03:25 PM

34 posts, read 54,021 times
Also check the watering schedules of your sprinkler. My neighbor's timer was set by the builder and it turned out that it was set to run like 6 times a day

Old 09-20-2015, 01:11 PM

8 posts, read 10,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
^^^ I agree. OP, are you sure that the water meter was set on ZERO when you moved in?
Check the meter. Turn off everything for an hour and check the meter. This includes turning off automatic icemakers, water-softening systems, and automatic sprinkler systems, which may otherwise cycle on during the test.
For residential customers, your water meter displays water consumption down to a tenth of a gallon, providing you with some very accurate use information.
Calculating the amount you’re using is as simple as writing down the numbers from the readout, before and after an activity, and then subtracting. So, go to your water meter, open the lid, and write down the numbers from left to right, taking note that some of the numbers have a white background and some of the numbers have a black background. The numbers on the dial with a white background indicate 1000's of gallons. The numbers with a black background indicate hundreds, tens, and single digits. (You are billed only for each 1000 gallon of use. Your billing shows only the white digits.)
If everything is off and there is still movement, you have a leak.
Report back - if you have a leak, we will tell you how to detect leak.
you are right , i dont think the water meter set to ZERO when I moved in on July 1st 2015. who should set the meter to zero? the builder meritage home ? or the MUD#58 ? who I should count responsible for my wrong water bill? I think I paid the builder's water before closing date.
I moved to Houston to Phoenix AZ. we conserve water very much in AZ. thanks for all the good advise.

Old 09-20-2015, 01:18 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,199,048 times
Did you ever ask your neighbors what their bills are running?

Old 09-20-2015, 02:46 PM

1,743 posts, read 3,821,369 times
You may be getting billed for "commercial" use since the home was in the builder's name previously. I would check that.

Old 09-20-2015, 03:39 PM

1,915 posts, read 3,240,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victorialu View Post
I just received my first water bill $470.48. holy high !
never had this high water bill in life.
we just moved here from another state. new to west lake at Katy TX. like to know MUD#58 NFBWA fee is legal?
$117.60 for NFBWA fee.
we have two people in my home 3300 sf (according to builder) one level and lot size is about 16000 sf according to builder Meritage Home.
builder construction manager set up my water timer to 15-25 minutes, total 7 zones. I hand wash dishes, once a week laundry. purchase water in cooking. my water bill in one month is more than my food cost. super high water bill from MUD#58! are they legal ?
also need your smart ideas how to reduce my water bill !
thanks
It's your sprinklers. I have 9 zones and run them 5 min each every other day and yard is green through anything.

Old 09-20-2015, 04:47 PM

14,888 posts, read 10,035,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victorialu View Post
you are right , i dont think the water meter set to ZERO when I moved in on July 1st 2015. who should set the meter to zero? the builder meritage home ? or the MUD#58 ? who I should count responsible for my wrong water bill? I think I paid the builder's water before closing date.
I moved to Houston to Phoenix AZ. we conserve water very much in AZ. thanks for all the good advise.
Your bill should give you a beginning and ending reading number so you can see how many gallons of water you used. Did it start at zero or not?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston