Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2008, 12:28 PM

64 posts, read 413,358 times

Advertisements

I've lived in both cities. I lived in Seattle from 1995 to 2000, and have been in Houston for the last 3 years. The weather is better in Seattle in the summer, ans more pleasant in Houston in the winter. Seattle gets more rainy days, but Houston gets more rainfall due to the downpours that Seattle doesn't get.

Traffic is worse in Houston. If your used to driving on the west coast, the 1st thing you'll notice is how slow people drive here, it drives me nuts. Many people drive under the limit, even when conditions are ideal. Natives will disagree, but if you've been on the west coast, you'll see.

Crime is higher in Houston, but I've never been a victim of crime, I live in a far west suburb. There's a lot of nice areas to live, you should determine where you'll be working, then decide where to live, for driving reasons. I would make a few trips here to check it out first, spend a little time and try to check out different areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2008, 02:06 PM

4,760 posts, read 13,823,031 times
To me, it seemed like traffic in Seattle worsened considerably since 2000. We lived there until 2006 and we spent a ton of time in our cars, just as we will probably do if we move to Houston. Our situation was worse than the average Seattle-ite because of the locations of our jobs and our children's school.

In the original poster's defense, a fresh perspective posted in response to a question feels more relevant than old posts. Maybe that's why people like to ask the same questions over and over. It is friendlier to repeat ourselves, which is why I will always try to do so if I get the chance on a topic where I know something.

I'd be happy to answer about Houston vs. Seattle but I've never lived in Houston, only Seattle. I would like to try out Houston and if my husband lands a job offer there this week, we will.

Old 01-27-2008, 07:15 PM

5,244 posts, read 4,708,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaJasMi View Post
Hey Houston!
Here is my story. I was born and raised in NW Arkansas.Moved to Seattle,WA about 2 years ago.I loved Arkansas(southern cultures,friendly people,etc.) BUT...It was too small for me! I wanted to experience living in a city!
I decided I would move to Seattle with my fiance.It is nice up here..but it is nothing like the south..lol!!!I miss it!

LONG STORY SHORT.
Tell me what you think about Houston! Pros,Cons...opinions in general.
examples of things I would like to know:

crime-(have you seen much? Does the average "joe" have to deal with much crime?Where are some possibly bad areas of town to avoid..etc...)

costs-(I think it would be pretty reasonablly priced there..(groceries,housing) am I wrong???

things to do-tell me, is shopping good down there?Good malls? ETC...

"3rd ward". What is that?

weather,immagration issues,locals,daily life...anything!

Give me personal experiences if you have some to share...about anything and everything!

Also..BE SURE to name GOOD AND BAD please
I would like to know what I would be getting myself into
I want to know everything!!!
Okay, I lived inside Houston for a few months before we moved to the suburbs...I cannot give you those stats but there is a book/almanac at Barnes & Noble of best rated cities that you can use to compare cities. We have seen it recently due to our possibly moving out of state. Anyway, check it out at your local store. As for personal experience, we liked living inside Houston for the conveniences of certain places but we were already planning a family and felt the suburbs would be best. Also, it is a bigger city so expect more traffic, frustrated people so they are rude, and we did get broken into once at an IHOP on I-10. We also had issues at our temp apartment where people would get so upset over their parking space...and as for the 3rd and 5th ward, just stay away from that part.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: