Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2008, 06:20 AM

395 posts, read 1,363,693 times

Advertisements

Hey Houston!
Here is my story. I was born and raised in NW Arkansas.Moved to Seattle,WA about 2 years ago.I loved Arkansas(southern cultures,friendly people,etc.) BUT...It was too small for me! I wanted to experience living in a city!
I decided I would move to Seattle with my fiance.It is nice up here..but it is nothing like the south..lol!!!I miss it!

LONG STORY SHORT.
Tell me what you think about Houston! Pros,Cons...opinions in general.
examples of things I would like to know:

crime-(have you seen much? Does the average "joe" have to deal with much crime?Where are some possibly bad areas of town to avoid..etc...)

costs-(I think it would be pretty reasonablly priced there..(groceries,housing) am I wrong???

things to do-tell me, is shopping good down there?Good malls? ETC...

"3rd ward". What is that?

weather,immagration issues,locals,daily life...anything!

Give me personal experiences if you have some to share...about anything and everything!

Also..BE SURE to name GOOD AND BAD please
I would like to know what I would be getting myself into
I want to know everything!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2008, 09:47 AM

3,247 posts, read 9,050,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaJasMi View Post
I have been looking through older posts and cannot find any answers that were helpful..hopefully someone might want to reply and help me.
Houston is not the fourth largest city in America for nothing. The best overall city in Texas and the south

Old 01-27-2008, 09:56 AM

10,447 posts, read 49,653,116 times
Moderator cut: the post you are quoting has been removed

I have a hard time believing you cant find your answers in past posts. I have a 2nd place outside of and just North of Houston so I always read the posts for the very same reasons your asking for and remember many good informative posts. We hope to make our big move early summer for good and like you, always looking for opinions.

Look harder. You will find more friendly people in Houston compared to Seattle but I wonder if people get tired of answering the same old questions over and over and thereby not answering you.

I think you said you like city life or want to try city life. I dont like living in any city but I love to visit and in Houston you can fill every weekend with things to do for many years to come. I love it.

Good luck on your move. Make sure you hit the Houston Rodeo and Livetock show in March.

Last edited by da jammer; 01-27-2008 at 11:06 AM..

Old 01-27-2008, 10:00 AM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,681,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
I have a hard time believing you cant find your answers in past posts. I have a 2nd place outside of and just North of Houston so I always read the posts for the very same reasons your asking for and remember many good informative posts. We hope to make our big move early summer for good and like you, always looking for opinions.

Look harder. You will find more friendly people in Houston compared to Seattle but I wonder if people get tired of answering the same old questions over and over and thereby not answering you.
Ding ding ding ding ding! There is even a Houston vs. Seattle thread on here somewhere already.

Don't forget, Google and Wikipedia are your friends. Por ejemplo, third ward houston - Google Search

Old 01-27-2008, 10:10 AM

gosh...sorry guys I was just wanting some friendly advice.

Old 01-27-2008, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstoner View Post
Ding ding ding ding ding! There is even a Houston vs. Seattle thread on here somewhere already.

Don't forget, Google and Wikipedia are your friends. Por ejemplo, third ward houston - Google Search
I didn't want to compare Seattle to Houston...I know they are different already...
I know google and wikipedia are my friends...but they aren't NATIVES OF HOUSTON.
BTW..I don't know spanish(but I would assume that says "for example")hmmmm...
but hey thanks for the link....

Last edited by TaJasMi; 01-27-2008 at 10:28 AM..

Old 01-27-2008, 10:25 AM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,681,773 times
No problem.

I think if you hadn't posted again so soon (which I see you've since deleted) we wouldn't have felt compelled to reply with an explanation of why you may not have been getting the quick responses you were after.

Be patient, and less surly Houstonians may answer you with more of that Southern hospitality we're so famous for.

Old 01-27-2008, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstoner View Post
No problem.

I think if you hadn't posted again so soon (which I see you've since deleted) we wouldn't have felt compelled to reply with an explanation of why you may not have been getting the quick responses you were after.

Be patient, and less surly Houstonians may answer you with more of that Southern hospitality we're so famous for.
you are right....thanks!

Old 01-27-2008, 10:41 AM

15,216 posts, read 30,553,434 times
We're not jerks, only when we drive.

Inner-city Houstonians shy away from being considered "country" or "redneck" but somehow if you came from small-town Arkansas and enjoyed certain qualities about it yet longed for the big city, Houston would be right up your alley. Not everyone here is all friendly and bubbly, but you're going to get a lot more common courtesies extended to you in public than you would in a lot of other large metro areas. Unless, of course, you're trying to cross a street or intersection on foot.

One thing you can do is use Search at the top of the page. And just read. A lot of people are on here sharing their experiences with Houston all the time.

Old 01-27-2008, 10:58 AM

10,447 posts, read 49,653,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
We're not jerks, only when we drive.

Inner-city Houstonians shy away from being considered "country" or "redneck" but somehow if you came from small-town Arkansas and enjoyed certain qualities about it yet longed for the big city, Houston would be right up your alley. Not everyone here is all friendly and bubbly, but you're going to get a lot more common courtesies extended to you in public than you would in a lot of other large metro areas. Unless, of course, you're trying to cross a street or intersection on foot.

One thing you can do is use Search at the top of the page. And just read. A lot of people are on here sharing their experiences with Houston all the time.
jfe......once again I agree with all your observations.

The OP was also right about wanting personal opinions which is something google can not do.

"We're not jerks, only when we drive." Love it jfe....good one !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: