Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2008, 02:59 PM

1 posts, read 4,935 times

Advertisements

I recently moved to Houston (Aug 07) and have been renting in Midtown. Originally I thought I would only be in Houston for a year, but now it looks like it will be 4+ years. I am now looking into buying a house/condo/townhome. I am only 23 so I am reluctant to look anywhere outside the loop and ideally want to stay close to Midtown. After an initial look at my finances I can spend up to 180k.

What are the good areas in the loop to look at that are affordable? I have looked around a little and have not found anything that I even remotely like. Are there any realtors that deal in these areas that anyone would recommend? Another question is do you think it is to my advantage to buy over rent? I am paying ~1200 a month right now.

Thanks for any help you can give.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2008, 08:19 PM

156 posts, read 610,486 times
You're choices are EXTREMELY limited at that price range inside the loop if you don't want to live next to gang members and prostitutes.

I had a townhome a few years back in a little townhome community called Park Square. There are about 100 Perry townhomes and they are located off of Airline just a few blocks from the Heights....I refer to it as El Heights. I purchased a 1,700 sq. ft. townhome for $133K when they were brand new. A few years later I sold it for about $165K so they may still be in your price range. Worth a look...

Old 01-27-2008, 09:28 PM

2,628 posts, read 8,829,835 times
First, yes, if you are going to be here 4+ years then buying is probably a good option.

Secondly, yes, if you are lucky you might pick up a good deal from a motivated seller or foreclosure for a good price. Be sure and watch maintenance fees. If you are not able to find one in your price range in mid-town, you might consider expanding your search a little to the east-end warehouse district. You could definitely find something at that price point over there.

Old 01-28-2008, 06:47 AM

912 posts, read 2,556,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGGIEZ View Post
You're choices are EXTREMELY limited at that price range inside the loop if you don't want to live next to gang members and prostitutes.
Is it really that bad? What are the inner loop areas to avoid? I did a search here and found details like SW side but what are the actual area names?

Sure it would become obvious when I arrive and see graffiti, gang bangers and hookers in the streets but I'd rather not go to those places at all.

Old 01-28-2008, 06:55 AM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,679,286 times
AGGIEZ is probably referring to some (not all) of the Third Ward, Fifth Ward, the East End, basically the areas roughly due east, northeast, and southeast of downtown, inside Loop 610. Many people will probably warn you not to go east of 288. These are primarily older majority minority low-income, working class communities, with patches of higher income minority professionals and white "New Urbanist"-type artsy folk mixed in here and there. Many of these areas are or will be gentrifying due to their location.

Old 01-28-2008, 08:18 AM

197 posts, read 261,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstoner View Post
AGGIEZ is probably referring to some (not all) of the Third Ward, Fifth Ward, the East End, basically the areas roughly due east, northeast, and southeast of downtown, inside Loop 610. Many people will probably warn you not to go east of 288. These are primarily older majority minority low-income, working class communities, with patches of higher income minority professionals and white "New Urbanist"-type artsy folk mixed in here and there. Many of these areas are or will be gentrifying due to their location.
I agree, these neighborhoods mentioned gentrify because of their prime location. (People are wanting to move closer in.)

Old 01-28-2008, 08:34 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,691,505 times
I think it's going to take a decent amount time to gentrify this part of the inner loop that isn't so nice right now. If it happens at all. Families have been in this area for generations, aren't going to get up and leave so easily, and have some resentment for the "will be gentrifying my home" statements.

There are plenty of gang-bangers, hookers, grafitti, beggars, loiterers (slinging) etc as mentioned, and that's the way many of them like it -- it's home. (Scott/Mainer area for example.) If you don't believe me, actually go and talk to some folks from those neighborhoods, and you'll learn much more than you imagined.

Old 01-28-2008, 10:17 AM

It is happening already. These are pretty large neighborhoods we're talking about here. They run the gamut from pockets of wealth to pockets of abject poverty, with some areas within them being much more run-down than others. There are plenty of families and regular working joes in these neighborhoods.

Old 01-28-2008, 11:28 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,691,505 times
When I said gentrify, I really meant "fully gentrify" in my previous post. Sorry, shoulda said that. That's what I predict will take awhile. In the mean time, be careful out there after dark!

Old 01-28-2008, 12:32 PM

Well, I just don't think it's fair to characterize entire neighborhoods as being full of gang members and prostitutes just because they're majority black or Hispanic. [MOD CUT]This is Houston. You have to be careful anywhere after dark, even in the "good parts" of the loop like the Montrose and the Heights, or else go buy your false sense of security and live outside it.

Last edited by da jammer; 01-28-2008 at 08:38 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: