Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2015, 08:50 AM

1,304 posts, read 1,093,073 times

Advertisements

So, I got busted Friday on my way home from the gym. I had that sense the Sheriff's deputy was after me when he started moving just after I drove by. LOL

Anyway, I normally get something in the mail, but I never got anything this year. In an effort to get this sorted out, I went online to renew, only to be told that I can't since I have a citation.

It would be awesome if the registration website did as good a job of providing you information on how to resolve this as they do telling you they can't resolve something...

Does anyone know how to get this resolved before going to the court? The court website says: "If you are charged with “driving a motor vehicle with an expired registration,” the court may dismiss the charge if you remedy the defect not later than the 20th working day after the date of the offense or before your first court appearance, whichever is later. You must pay an administrative fee of $10 when the charge is dismissed. Tex. Transp. Code 502.407"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2015, 08:58 AM

61,649 posts, read 87,001,838 times
Go to the county tax office, and pay in person
https://goo.gl/VGiUq7

Old 08-31-2015, 08:59 AM

504 posts, read 1,149,686 times
I believe you can go to any county tax office to get your registration (particularly if it's expired).

TXDMV.GOV - County Tax Offices

Old 08-31-2015, 09:51 AM

Thanks guys, I was on hold with the tax office and hit refresh to see your responses. I still waited on the phone and the kind woman confirmed that I'll pay $74 instead of $64 since I have a citation. I just need to be sure to tell the person there about the ticket.

Again, wouldn't it be nice for the DMV website to say that? Instead, all it says is that you can't renew online...

Old 08-31-2015, 10:04 AM

When you can't renew online for whatever reason, the only other option is to go to the tax office and pay in person.
Like we did before they offered that service online.
Kinda self explanatory.....

Old 08-31-2015, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
When you can't renew online for whatever reason, the only other option is to go to the tax office and pay in person.
Again, I pretty much always waited for the thing in the mail. I never had to go to a county tax assessor office in person before. I still think they should create an option where people with tickets could renew online. It couldn't be that hard.

Old 08-31-2015, 09:23 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,850,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
I used to go to the Kroger customer service counter to pay for it but this year I just paid through the mail.

Old 09-01-2015, 03:28 AM

Sure. Those are other options. Good ones. But OP has a ticket , which makes it a bit more complicated. Tax office might be a better choice to get it done the right way.

Old 09-01-2015, 07:49 AM

702 posts, read 1,235,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Augiec View Post
Again, I pretty much always waited for the thing in the mail.
Just because you didn't get the registration in the mail, doesn't mean you're not liable for the expired registration. You could've been proactive about it and went online to renew it prior to the ticket or go to the tax office. Instead, you waited until you received a ticket to take care of it. Man up, accept responsibility and take it as a lesson learned.

Also, why do you need the renewal in the mail to remind you to pay for it? The sticker is right in front of your car and you see it every day.

Old 09-01-2015, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huma281 View Post
Just because you didn't get the registration in the mail, doesn't mean you're not liable for the expired registration. You could've been proactive about it and went online to renew it prior to the ticket or go to the tax office. Instead, you waited until you received a ticket to take care of it. Man up, accept responsibility and take it as a lesson learned.

Also, why do you need the renewal in the mail to remind you to pay for it? The sticker is right in front of your car and you see it every day.
Because I'm not some boy scout who looks at the sticker when I get in the car. I was wondering when someone on this thread would get on their soapbox. LOL, I'm surprised it took this long.

I got it taken care of at the tax office near UH Main campus yesterday around 4:00. Fortunately, there wasn't much of a line. I also called the court and made the suggestion about leaving a note on what people in my situation can do, but I doubt it'll go anywhere. I also signed up for email reminders, which is a cool feature you can do from the dmv website.

Going back to your sanctimonious post huma, I genuinely don't get where people like you feel the need to write nonsense like that. Do you think next year around this time I'll think to myself "gee, that huma281 fool said I should 'man up' so I better renew my registration!!!" That's just not how things work.

In short, thanks mom
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: