Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2015, 05:35 AM

8,895 posts, read 19,997,888 times

Advertisements

When people move here, they are from all income brackets but it seems we mostly post areas in the 300-500k range. And people mostly say that the lower homes are in bad areas with high crime which isn't necessarily true in all cases. Thought I'd post this question to help those in that price range. You can find decent, older, working class neighborhoods scattered through the Houston area. Camino south in clear lake, pipers meadow in Webster, heritage park and annalea in friendswood, etc. what working class neighborhoods are decent and relatively safe in your area of town for those who need the price range?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2015, 06:10 AM

6,720 posts, read 8,389,294 times
In the SW part of Houston : meadows place (my other top pick),parts of robindell,the far south part of westbury

My top pick is West Memorial or Cimmaron in Katy.

West Houston: briar park (my other top pick), Ashford park (schools in AliefISD although the elementary is fine)

West AliefISD zoned to Rees elementary(best elementary in AliefISD, very safe and good kids) it's the pocket neighborhoods west of Highway 6 and 1093.

Parts of spring branch, north of I10.

Parts of Jersey Village.

Last edited by Meyerland; 09-08-2015 at 06:21 AM..

Old 09-08-2015, 07:51 AM

1,483 posts, read 1,725,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meyerland View Post
In the SW part of Houston : meadows place (my other top pick),parts of robindell,the far south part of westbury

West Houston: briar park (my other top pick), Ashford park (schools in AliefISD although the elementary is fine)

West AliefISD zoned to Rees elementary(best elementary in AliefISD, very safe and good kids) it's the pocket neighborhoods west of Highway 6 and 1093.

Parts of Jersey Village.
Excellent list, Meyerland. I will note that it is hard to find single family homes under 200k anywhere in Spring Branch but not impossible.

Old 09-08-2015, 07:56 AM

2,756 posts, read 3,807,947 times
Robindell. Watch for homes that flooded during Memorial Day floods.

Old 09-08-2015, 08:01 AM

6,720 posts, read 8,389,294 times
There are some in Friendswood and Pearland, although I don't know any specific neighborhoods.

Old 09-08-2015, 08:10 AM

5,614 posts, read 4,939,687 times
Bear Creek, east of SH 6 - though the commute east or south is terrible.

The Colonies?

Old 09-08-2015, 08:28 AM

1,501 posts, read 1,770,288 times
Deer Park. Chemical plant Stigma however...

Old 09-08-2015, 11:01 AM

9,053 posts, read 17,197,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texas7 View Post
When people move here, they are from all income brackets but it seems we mostly post areas in the 300-500k range. And people mostly say that the lower homes are in bad areas with high crime which isn't necessarily true in all cases. Thought I'd post this question to help those in that price range. You can find decent, older, working class neighborhoods scattered through the Houston area. Camino south in clear lake, pipers meadow in Webster, heritage park and annalea in friendswood, etc. what working class neighborhoods are decent and relatively safe in your area of town for those who need the price range?
This is a good thread, texas7. I have noticed on CD that most people are inquiring about rentals for $500 or houses for $300K up - and rarely anyone in the middle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meyerland View Post

Parts of Jersey Village.
Excellent list.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalPlanner View Post
Bear Creek, east of SH 6 - though the commute east or south is terrible.

The Colonies?
Yes.

Also, Copperfield is an unusual community, with smaller houses interspersed among big ones. This means there are several falling in the thread's range.

The common denominator here is that they are not new. New, in that price range, is different.

Old 09-08-2015, 11:18 AM

385 posts, read 440,677 times
I think this is a great thread though I think you'll hit a wider group of people than you think.

We are in the $300-500k property range now, but when we move to TX I want to buy a house outright with the profits from the sale of current homes. I don't want a mortgage when it is all said and done (might consider a small one if the perfect house called my name), so I am definitely attracted to the older homes in a decent and established neighborhood (or exurb).

Old 09-08-2015, 12:11 PM

226 posts, read 310,704 times
Default Excellent thread!

This was our price range when we were shopping for a home in the summer of 2013. We were able to find something in 77077 then, but ours was one of the last houses to list in our neighborhood with a price under 200K. I think, as a previous poster mentioned, Briar Park may still have a few, but that is it. When we refinanced, our house did appraise for over 200K.

My SO works off the Beltway near 290, and he has said there are still bargains to be found in the Westbranch subdivision. I work in Sugar Land, so I'm more familiar with that area. Neighborhoods zoned to better schools in that price range include the Highlands part of First Colony, Barrington Place, Covington Woods (I know people who live in the latter two who would recommend, despite concerns posters here have about safety), and possibly Village of Oak Lake.

We're glad we made the change from renting to owning when we did, otherwise one of us would have probably ended up with a really crappy commute!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston