Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2015, 03:08 PM

860 posts, read 1,585,519 times

Advertisements

I don't go because I'm not a big sports fan.

Relatives who are UH alumni had season tickets for 30 years and now attend only one or two games during the season. When the new stadium opened, seats that were comparable to their old ones soared in price and were no longer affordable. They're retired and there is no over-65 discount available.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2015, 06:24 PM

978 posts, read 1,057,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVD26 View Post
Because the teams as of late have been mediocre at best.
UH is still perceived as a commuter school.
I know it was when I went there a decade ago.
There was little to no school spirit while I was there.
I agree, UH has really stepped it up in the last decade with campus improvements and the new stadium.
But some perceptions are just really hard to shake.
Couple that with bad teams over the years and that's what you get.
UH needs to start winning consistently in their current conference before they can even consider jumping to a Big 5 conference like the Big 12.
Hopefully the new coach can help turn things around.
There's no reason now that UH can't get most of the 3 (and occasional 4) star kids from the area instead of watching them leave the area or state for other schools.
It seems like you've been away for awhile. The team was ranked as high as #6 in the nation in 2011 which included a rare chance to host ESPN's GameDay on the UH campus.
When Summlin left us, he was replaced with Levine. Levine only managed to get us 8 wins a year and we said..nope that's not good enough... so we opened our wallet and hired the Offensive Coordinator from Ohio State, the National Champions.

On recruiting, you are aware that the University of Houston currently has a a solid verbal commitment from the #5 ranked recruit in the entire United States and YES hes' from Houston.

Here's the link:
ESPN Football Recruiting - Player Rankings - ESPN

On some of the old stereotypes that are no longer true.

Only one school in Texas has more on-campus beds than the University of Houston. Also, the student environment and college atmosphere has been totally rethought at UH and it is now a priority.

Dr. Khator even went as far as requiring all freshman to live on campus. Unfortunately, that was met with political backlash but its still something that could happen in the near future.

On the jump to a Power Conference......we are already on the shortlist for one of the the 2 spots in the Big 12. Our competition is : Cincinnati, UCF, Memphis, BYU, Colorado State, UCONN, & ECU. They all have plus and minuses but we are definitely in the mix.

Old 09-09-2015, 09:31 PM

1,326 posts, read 3,451,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by H'ton View Post
It seems like you've been away for awhile. The team was ranked as high as #6 in the nation in 2011 which included a rare chance to host ESPN's GameDay on the UH campus.
When Summlin left us, he was replaced with Levine. Levine only managed to get us 8 wins a year and we said..nope that's not good enough... so we opened our wallet and hired the Offensive Coordinator from Ohio State, the National Champions.

On recruiting, you are aware that the University of Houston currently has a a solid verbal commitment from the #5 ranked recruit in the entire United States and YES hes' from Houston.

Here's the link:
ESPN Football Recruiting - Player Rankings - ESPN

On some of the old stereotypes that are no longer true.

Only one school in Texas has more on-campus beds than the University of Houston. Also, the student environment and college atmosphere has been totally rethought at UH and it is now a priority.

Dr. Khator even went as far as requiring all freshman to live on campus. Unfortunately, that was met with political backlash but its still something that could happen in the near future.

On the jump to a Power Conference......we are already on the shortlist for one of the the 2 spots in the Big 12. Our competition is : Cincinnati, UCF, Memphis, BYU, Colorado State, UCONN, & ECU. They all have plus and minuses but we are definitely in the mix.
I remember that 2011 team, but still we're talking 4-5 years since that season.
That's a long time for a program that's supposed to be on the up and up.
Double digit wins every 4-5 years is not going to get more alumni and fans to flock to games.
The winning has to be consistent.
Hopefully the new coach can bring that to the program.
I like the new ideas UH has implemented to make it feel less like a commuter school.
The stigma still remains and is hard to shake however.
I think requiring freshmen to live on campus would be a great idea.
In terms of the Big 12, last I heard, there were no plans for them to expand.
Maybe that's changed very recently, but even after last season where Baylor and TCU were shut out of the Playoffs there were no plans to expand.

Old 09-10-2015, 07:13 AM

30 posts, read 46,297 times
not into football. Aldo when I graduated in 2010, not many people went generally. the team was starting to get better

Old 09-11-2015, 04:07 AM

112 posts, read 146,942 times
Graduated UH '95 (Hilton HRM). I never went to a football game when I was a student. I always looked down on UH because I was supposed to go to UT when I graduated HS, but I got pissed at my dad and ran off and joined the army. By the time I got out, I was married and UH just made more sense at the time.

Anyhow, I went to the season opener last week, and I was very impressed with the new stadium. Seems like the campus has changed quite a bit too in the past 20 years. Go Coogs!

Old 09-12-2015, 04:13 PM

978 posts, read 1,057,340 times
For those worried about the product on the field: Houston takes down Louisville 34-31 in KY.

Old 09-12-2015, 06:37 PM

112 posts, read 146,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by H'ton View Post
For those worried about the product on the field: Houston takes down Louisville 34-31 in KY.
That was a big win. I thought for sure they were going to blow it with those missed FG, but the defense made enough plays down the stretch to hold them off. UH qb made a ton of big plays, too.

Old 09-13-2015, 12:00 AM

42 posts, read 100,994 times
Went to UH, and interested in going to more games. Frontier Fiesta is cool, but I am interested in basketball this year even though the stadium kind of sucks.

The conference change to American Athletic conference is definitely a step up from Conference USA. But AAC still kind of sucks because everybody in it wants to leave the conference for a better conference. Name of the game though.

I lived on campus at a commuter school. It kind of sucked (not much to do besides the game room) so I don't go back to much now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston