Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2015, 06:59 PM

536 posts, read 1,062,343 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanw View Post
Well you got taken mate :-) I have very similar pool with yours and Pedros's except the outdoors kitchen which was built with the house for 37K 4 years ago. Shop around mate. I did get 60K, 80K quotes but decided to continue shopping. My pool is perfect with zero issues to date. I can send you pictures, I can show you the final bill...

So 15-20K for such a basic pool is doable. Shoot, I will find them a builder myself for that price.
I'd actually say I got a great price but I think we'll have to agree to disagree on that one. The money on mine is mainly in the slide, stonework and decking. To clarify the breakdown in cost the main pool and decking (and firepit) was about $85k, $8k on palms, sprinklers and safety fence and $12k on the kitchen. I got quotes for more and quotes for less.

In any case, so long as you get what you want it doesn't matter. We're very happy with it and get a tremendous amount of use out of it with the kids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2015, 07:12 PM

2,465 posts, read 5,790,084 times
Amen

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbink View Post
i'd actually say i got a great price but i think we'll have to agree to disagree on that one. The money on mine is mainly in the slide, stonework and decking. To clarify the breakdown in cost the main pool and decking (and firepit) was about $85k, $8k on palms, sprinklers and safety fence and $12k on the kitchen. I got quotes for more and quotes for less.

In any case, so long as you get what you want it doesn't matter. We're very happy with it and get a tremendous amount of use out of it with the kids.

Old 09-14-2015, 08:08 AM

222 posts, read 450,292 times
Prices are high right now. in a year or so when everyone is laid off and the housing market start creeping to a hard stop, the pool building prices will drop significantly... I was on the verge of getting a pool as well. I talked with a few engineers here at my office who had pools built around 08-09 and the prices they paid were half of what Im getting quotes for now....

Old 09-14-2015, 11:57 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,282,260 times
For the first picture I'd wager in the $25K range, but the hard part right now would be finding someone who wanted to build it. There's not a lot of money in super basic pools, so they'd rather focus on customers who are going to spend a bit more, and generate a higher profit.

Mine was $40K. Pictures are around here somewhere.

Old 09-14-2015, 12:31 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,598,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
Pictures are around here somewhere.
I checked my pockets and under my chair; I don't have them.

Old 09-14-2015, 02:45 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,282,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
I checked my pockets and under my chair; I don't have them.
Forum won't let you re-post the same picture, and I honestly can't be arsed to change the file name.

Old 09-20-2015, 09:48 PM

41 posts, read 53,265 times
ethanw : 37k is a great price in Houston. Would you mind sharing some pictures or list the pool specs? Which pool builder did you use.

In response to the OP : the pool in the pic looks very basic - not much depth, small size, no steps, bubblers, etc etc. So getting it done for less than 25k should not be very difficult. Your cost drivers are mainly equipment ( think variable speed pumps, Salt water generators, booster pumps, lighting, bubblers, scuppers, etc) and secondly decking -( pavers, concrete, travertine and so on). So for less than 25k, this should be doable.

Getting pool builders to come out and quote 25k pools, not sure about that - I guess it would depend on how busy they are making 75K pools.

Thanks

Philip

Old 09-21-2015, 05:23 PM

12 posts, read 21,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanw View Post
Well you got taken mate :-) I have very similar pool with yours and Pedros's except the outdoors kitchen which was built with the house for 37K 4 years ago. Shop around mate. I did get 60K, 80K quotes but decided to continue shopping. My pool is perfect with zero issues to date. I can send you pictures, I can show you the final bill...

So 15-20K for such a basic pool is doable. Shoot, I will find them a builder myself for that price.
Thank you very much for the reply, what pool builder did you use?

Old 10-01-2015, 07:42 AM

268 posts, read 383,361 times
Question Itemized pool pricing

Hi everyone,
I have a question similar to OP regarding 'new pool construction costs'... and this post seemed appropriate to ask my question:
So, I am in the process of building a new home. Home didn't come with a pool, and the builder recommended a pool company they work with. We went to the pool company and started with the very basics and then added nice-to-have features until we hit our max pool budget.
Each time we added or removed or changed some feature, the designer would make appropriate pricing changes in her spreadsheet. Eventually, we finalized everything, signed the contract, and put down the deposit. The contract only had the TOTAL amount. The itemized add-ons were listed, but without any pricing. We were expecting to receive an itemized bill/receipt for our reference to see what each add-on costs - and when we asked, we were told: "We do not give out the itemized individual pricing".

As a customer, having spent ~55k on a nice pool, I thought it was fair to ask for an itemized pricing, and was really ticked when our request was bluntly denied...Now this is my first time building/buying a home in Houston, and of course, first time putting in a pool as well..... so my question is: Is this standard practice with pool companies to display only the TOTAL price in the contract and no individual pricing?

P.S. This not a quote... rather a final contract... since we are going through the builder-recommended pool company, there was no point getting quotes from other pool companies.

Just trying to understand normal practices/standard procedures followed by pool companies.
Thanks,
DrD

Old 10-01-2015, 07:45 AM

2,465 posts, read 5,790,084 times
I will take some pics and share soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by philboyj View Post
ethanw : 37k is a great price in Houston. Would you mind sharing some pictures or list the pool specs? Which pool builder did you use.

In response to the OP : the pool in the pic looks very basic - not much depth, small size, no steps, bubblers, etc etc. So getting it done for less than 25k should not be very difficult. Your cost drivers are mainly equipment ( think variable speed pumps, Salt water generators, booster pumps, lighting, bubblers, scuppers, etc) and secondly decking -( pavers, concrete, travertine and so on). So for less than 25k, this should be doable.

Getting pool builders to come out and quote 25k pools, not sure about that - I guess it would depend on how busy they are making 75K pools.

Thanks

Philip
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: