Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2015, 06:31 PM
fnh

2,887 posts, read 3,889,488 times

Advertisements

At Awty the homework expectations are spelled out in the handbook. For lower school this means fifteen minutes per night for 1st and 2nd graders increasing stepwise up to seventy-five minutes per night for 5th graders. Middle school students are given approximately 20 minutes of homework per subject per night. Parents are encouraged to think of these as average time limits and have the child turn in incomplete work rather than routinely work longer. Obviously special projects might warrant extra time on occasion, but if a child is needing additional time to complete daily homework, then there is a problem with either the child's grasp of the material or the teacher's presentation of such, and homework 'completedness' provides valuable feedback.

Of course, for the 'involved' (usually American) parents it is extraordinarily difficult to permit a child to stop working with unfinished homework, so that confounds the feedback data...

Last edited by fnh; 09-18-2015 at 06:44 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2015, 10:04 AM

5,976 posts, read 15,206,267 times
Default Good..

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnh View Post
At Awty the homework expectations are spelled out in the handbook. For lower school this means fifteen minutes per night for 1st and 2nd graders increasing stepwise up to seventy-five minutes per night for 5th graders. Middle school students are given approximately 20 minutes of homework per subject per night. Parents are encouraged to think of these as average time limits and have the child turn in incomplete work rather than routinely work longer. Obviously special projects might warrant extra time on occasion, but if a child is needing additional time to complete daily homework, then there is a problem with either the child's grasp of the material or the teacher's presentation of such, and homework 'completedness' provides valuable feedback.

Of course, for the 'involved' (usually American) parents it is extraordinarily difficult to permit a child to stop working with unfinished homework, so that confounds the feedback data...
This sounds right/good, but I don't think they took into account multiple kids, all in different grades, all with questions, distruptions and distractions. It cannot be done in two hours, not in our house. Really, its like a classroom, one table, and four kids. 'Almost makes us wonder if we should just homeschool!

Old 09-19-2015, 10:28 AM

1,614 posts, read 2,646,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp View Post
This sounds right/good, but I don't think they took into account multiple kids, all in different grades, all with questions, distruptions and distractions. It cannot be done in two hours, not in our house. Really, its like a classroom, one table, and four kids. 'Almost makes us wonder if we should just homeschool!
I agree, and add in any after school activities and forget about it. Evenings are frankly miserable at our house.

Old 09-19-2015, 10:34 AM

5,976 posts, read 15,206,267 times
Default Yup...

Quote:
Originally Posted by swopoe View Post
I agree, and add in any after school activities and forget about it. Evenings are frankly miserable at our house.
Besides the homework, I have a son who has soccer practice Mon and Wed, and game on Fri, and a daughter who has practice Tue and Thu, and games on Saturday. It is crazy with four children, our life is not dull.... I always though the saying 'kids will keep you young' was just that, but it is true!

Old 09-19-2015, 11:59 AM

399 posts, read 637,464 times
IMO homework should be short and its sole purpose to confirm that the student has grasp what they were taught at school during the day/week. It should not involve the parents teaching their kids or standing over them. Kids still need to be kids. They should have time to play with neighbors and be involved in one or two after school activities.

Old 09-19-2015, 02:02 PM

2,540 posts, read 4,024,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fnh View Post

Yes, and that still adds up to at least an hour and a half of homework for a middle schooler, given all their subjects. I still think that's too much each night. Once in while when projects are due or something, that amount of time would be reasonable, but not every night.

FWIW my son has very little homework from Johnston Middle School (HISD). The kids often have two instruments to practice, or other arts work to do, which may be why they go light on the homework. I don't really care what the reason is, I'm just we found a school that assigns so little.

Old 09-19-2015, 05:54 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,344,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houston-nomad View Post
Yes, and that still adds up to at least an hour and a half of homework for a middle schooler, given all their subjects. I still think that's too much each night. Once in while when projects are due or something, that amount of time would be reasonable, but not every night.

FWIW my son has very little homework from Johnston Middle School (HISD). The kids often have two instruments to practice, or other arts work to do, which may be why they go light on the homework. I don't really care what the reason is, I'm just we found a school that assigns so little.
That's interesting about Johnston MS. How does he like it so far?

Old 09-19-2015, 07:20 PM

2,540 posts, read 4,024,081 times
He likes it a lot. Especially the teachers.

Old 09-21-2015, 08:43 AM

62 posts, read 61,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaroleF View Post
Hi Everyone

A friend's fourth grader in a private school has three hours homework every night! She'd like to move him, understandably. Does anyone know of a good private school in The Houston area where they honor current research says that homework in grade school is largely a waste of time?

I'm a former teacher myself and used to give a lot of homework, but latterly I felt that it was not achieving results and just stressed the students out.
My son attends a good private school, and it takes almost two hours to finish his fourth grade homework at home, but when he attends the after school program his homework is completed in less than 30 minutes.

Maybe your friend's son is a master procrastinator.

Old 11-24-2016, 08:01 PM

784 posts, read 3,111,308 times
Update: he's now at St. Francis Episcopal and very happy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: