Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2015, 08:57 AM

784 posts, read 3,120,866 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone

A friend's fourth grader in a private school has three hours homework every night! She'd like to move him, understandably. Does anyone know of a good private school in The Houston area where they honor current research says that homework in grade school is largely a waste of time?

I'm a former teacher myself and used to give a lot of homework, but latterly I felt that it was not achieving results and just stressed the students out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2015, 09:04 AM

2,548 posts, read 4,052,968 times
Saint Catherine's Montessori has no homework in 4th grade. Some homework in middle school, but not much.

I agree with you 100%... the research does NOT support the current homework overload. Parents evidently keep demanding it. I'd like to see them do three hours of work at home, after their full day of work. I think it's horrible.

Old 09-15-2015, 01:31 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,389,294 times
I usually help my child with their HW to keep it to a minimum. I don't do the work, but I explain and give advice. I set up the area and get any needed supplies. We keep it to an hour, but independently it would probably take 2 hours

I also keep her focused and set timers.

Old 09-15-2015, 02:03 PM

Most schools give more homework as the years pass. It's rare to find one that doesn't. There is a spring branch use middle school that doesn't.

Cornerstone academy is the name.

Old 09-18-2015, 10:25 AM

5,976 posts, read 15,270,067 times
Default Too much...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meyerland View Post
Most schools give more homework as the years pass. It's rare to find one that doesn't. There is a spring branch use middle school that doesn't.

Cornerstone academy is the name.
I never had homework, and I turned out just fine, as most in my age group, but I also know people have different rates of learning. But giving out homework just to check something off a list is not a good idea, so it seems from some of the work our children bring home. A lot is useless.

The problem for us is not the homework per say, but the volume. We have four children, two years between each, so basically class takes a break in the afternoon, then continues on the dinner table, sometimes late into the night if dinner gets in the way. The earlier poster's comment about working all day, then having to help with homework is correct, it makes for a monotonous life during the week. I remember as a kid getting home, doing chores, then going out and playing with all the kids on the block, then returning for dinner, they more play, then bed time!

Old 09-18-2015, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp View Post
I never had homework, and I turned out just fine, as most in my age group, but I also know people have different rates of learning. But giving out homework just to check something off a list is not a good idea, so it seems from some of the work our children bring home. A lot is useless.

The problem for us is not the homework per say, but the volume. We have four children, two years between each, so basically class takes a break in the afternoon, then continues on the dinner table, sometimes late into the night if dinner gets in the way. The earlier poster's comment about working all day, then having to help with homework is correct, it makes for a monotonous life during the week. I remember as a kid getting home, doing chores, then going out and playing with all the kids on the block, then returning for dinner, they more play, then bed time!
I agree with you. It's just hard to find schools that agree.

Old 09-18-2015, 11:25 AM

2,047 posts, read 2,984,276 times
I think it is not really the material in the homework but to get the kids to spend some time at home to study and do some learning more than anything else.

I know most of the parents here wouldn't think anything of it to read to their kid at home, but for alot of parents out there, you need to push and assign work to get them to spend time with their kids.

This is even more apparent when is single parent household.

Old 09-18-2015, 03:48 PM

18,131 posts, read 25,282,316 times
The issue is not the amount of homework
the issue is how good did the teacher teach the material.
If the teacher did a good job, the kid shouldn't take 3 hours to homework.
That makes me think that the teacher teaches 1/2 of the lesson and leaves the kids to figure out the other 1/2 by themselves at home.

Old 09-18-2015, 04:53 PM

1,237 posts, read 2,019,230 times
Yup, the teacher is being lazy by outsourcing the teaching and classwork to the parents, and a lot of these parents eat it up as good "extra" work.

But like said above, homework is just the new reality. Aside from the expensive private schools, kids are going to get a lot of homework. It sucks, but just the way it is.

Old 09-18-2015, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Failed Engineer View Post
Yup, the teacher is being lazy by outsourcing the teaching and classwork to the parents, and a lot of these parents eat it up as good "extra" work.

But like said above, homework is just the new reality. Aside from the expensive private schools, kids are going to get a lot of homework. It sucks, but just the way it is.
Kids in private schools get the same or more homework, unless it's some small private school.

St. John's is give or take 25,000$ a year and they get a ton of HW. It's the same with Kincaid and others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: