Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2015, 01:26 AM

171 posts, read 246,186 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonfan View Post
I do judge by appearance when I hire.
Since you have hiring experience, if you don't mind, can you to clarify your views on this? Do you judge by a person's name as well? When one resume reads John Smith and another reads Muhammed El Shafir with similar qualifications, have you already made judgements? To be honest, I don't know that I would not, but I am not in a hiring position.

Quote:
there'll be several excellent candidates and the one that wins is the one that connects with the interviewers (hobbies, alumni, perspectives).
vs

Quote:
there'll be several excellent candidates and the one that wins is the one that connects with the interviewers (hobbies, alumni, perspectives) and looks sharp.
What's the real difference here? Looking sharp in a suit vs looking sharp in a button up? What if the guy is wearing an ill fitting suit and the other is wearing something like I posted earlier? Hiring a person then becomes an episode of 'Fashion Police' where you are dissecting their ensemble to give a thumbs up or a thumbs down. You should look deeper.

If you have multiple candidates that connect the same way with you and have the same CV, which I find unlikely, then I posit that you have not done your job in asking the candidates enough about themselves or finding out how they will fit into your team. Maybe the candidate has not done their job in separating themselves either, but again, if you don't pull it out of them, then how much enthusiasm have you shown in this candidate and why is s/he one of your finalists? To use your words, that shows a lack of common sense.

Keep in mind, no one should be coming in looking like a slob. Like one poster said, you can dress very nicely without wearing a suit. Everyone should be neat and well groomed. The only difference is that you require a coat and tie.

No argument on the punctuality, firm handshake, eye contact and phone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2015, 06:09 AM

1,011 posts, read 976,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisrock View Post
Since you have hiring experience, if you don't mind, can you to clarify your views on this? Do you judge by a person's name as well? When one resume reads John Smith and another reads Muhammed El Shafir with similar qualifications, have you already made judgements? To be honest, I don't know that I would not, but I am not in a hiring position.

vs

What's the real difference here? Looking sharp in a suit vs looking sharp in a button up? What if the guy is wearing an ill fitting suit and the other is wearing something like I posted earlier? Hiring a person then becomes an episode of 'Fashion Police' where you are dissecting their ensemble to give a thumbs up or a thumbs down. You should look deeper.

If you have multiple candidates that connect the same way with you and have the same CV, which I find unlikely, then I posit that you have not done your job in asking the candidates enough about themselves or finding out how they will fit into your team. Maybe the candidate has not done their job in separating themselves either, but again, if you don't pull it out of them, then how much enthusiasm have you shown in this candidate and why is s/he one of your finalists? To use your words, that shows a lack of common sense.

Keep in mind, no one should be coming in looking like a slob. Like one poster said, you can dress very nicely without wearing a suit. Everyone should be neat and well groomed. The only difference is that you require a coat and tie.

No argument on the punctuality, firm handshake, eye contact and phone.
As much effort as you put in your post is the same amount you should be putting in your job interview attire. Go ahead and wear your button up and slacks. If you can't put the effort into putting on a suit and tie and then be argumentative against doing so, then I can tell your problem is not your attire, but your attitude. Wearing a suit shows effort and common sense. Wearing what you suggested shows the opposite.

No two candidates are the same, but you can like two the same. Can one like the candidate with just slacks and dress shirt more than one wearing a suit? Sure. But that person came in already at a disadvantage and would have much more to prove. First impression is all you got. Of course it's shallow. Race has nothing to do with it. I'm sure houstonfan has some common sense, since he is in a position to hire. I can tell you are not.

Last edited by 3shipguy; 09-30-2015 at 07:00 AM..

Old 09-30-2015, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3shipguy View Post
he is in a position to hire. I can tell you are not.
I thought I had already mentioned this?

Quote:
Wearing a suit shows effort and common sense. Wearing what you suggested shows the opposite.
I am not sure how this is effort. May as well give the guy points for wearing lace ups instead of slip ons because of the effort it takes to tie shoes.

Quote:
If you can't put the effort into putting on a suit and tie and then be argumentative against doing so, then I can tell your problem is not your attire, but your attitude.
You might say that, but I would counter that you guys have a stuffy attitude; maybe someone I wouldn't want to work with anyway, a little too closed minded. I spend a considerable amount on my wardrobe, and I am in touch with fashion, so my stance is that a suit does not always equal dressed up, and dressed up does not always mean a full suit.

Quote:
No two candidates are the same, but you can like two the same.
Ok, it comes down to pros and cons of the candidates and you can't decide, so your solution is to pick the guy with the tie? My only argument is that you find something more substantial to separate the two. Its the interviewers turn to show this effort you continue to mention.

Quote:
Race has nothing to do with it
Neither does appearance, in my opinion. However, you and houstonfan are very adamant about appearances and first impressions, so I simply asked how far that judgment goes. If you guys say it starts and stops with clothes only, then I believe you, until someone walks in wearing a hijab.

Quote:
Of course it's shallow.
I rest my case.

Old 09-30-2015, 05:43 PM

6 posts, read 4,091 times
Quote:
If OP is looking for a job in O&G or the energy industry, skip the tie. I don't see them anywhere downtown except for on lawyers or bankers. Even execs don't do suits most of the time. Make sure you're well groomed and the clothes fit, but I would worry more about what you're going to say and how you say it.

This is your look:

JJ Watt for Mizzen and Main

Sharp and memorable.

If the position is between you and another candidate and you don't get it, its not going to be because of your outfit.
I worked downtown, and I would disagree. During lunch, the tunnels were filled with men in suit and tie and I assume their jacket was in the office, or hanging in their office when needed.

In our office, jackets were required everyday for both men and women (but not ties).

I agree with the look you suggested for everyday, but in an interview I would err on the side of super conservative because you never want to say "what if."

Good luck to you!!

Old 09-30-2015, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ.Fair View Post
I worked downtown, and I would disagree. During lunch, the tunnels were filled with men in suit and tie and I assume their jacket was in the office, or hanging in their office when needed.

In our office, jackets were required everyday for both men and women (but not ties).

I agree with the look you suggested for everyday, but in an interview I would err on the side of super conservative because you never want to say "what if."

Good luck to you!!
We may just be in different parts of downtown. I am in the tunnels every day and I see very few suits. I don't know why you would assume their jacket is in the office when you don't see one, but maybe this is what you're used to, while I am used to the opposite. You require jackets no ties, maybe they require ties no jackets.

I work in the energy sector and no one in my company, nor any other energy company I know of, wears suits. However, I cannot argue that erring on the side of conservative is a bad strategy.

Old 09-30-2015, 07:56 PM

Quote:
We may just be in different parts of downtown. I am in the tunnels every day and I see very few suits. I don't know why you would assume their jacket is in the office when you don't see one, but maybe this is what you're used to, while I am used to the opposite. You require jackets no ties, maybe they require ties no jackets.

I work in the energy sector and no one in my company, nor any other energy company I know of, wears suits. However, I cannot argue that erring on the side of conservative is a bad strategy.
Your last statement says it all.... Yet you still argue the contrary. So much wasted energy. Do you ever wonder why you are not in the position to hire?

Old 09-30-2015, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Your last statement says it all.... Yet you still argue the contrary. So much wasted energy. Do you ever wonder why you are not in the position to hire?
Check your faulty logic, 3shipguy. I argue that a suit and tie are not necessary, and should have no bearing on the outcome of your interview, which is quite different than arguing you shouldn't wear a suit and tie. If you wear one, you wear one. No where do I say you will be at any disadvantage if you do. You on the other had, are not quite so lenient. Do you see the difference?

As for your last point, maybe I don't want to be in a position to hire? or is that some jab at my work status? Would you like to make it more personal and discuss where I live and what I drive?

By the way, I can't tell exactly from your posts, but are you in a position to hire?

Last edited by Chrisrock; 09-30-2015 at 09:01 PM..

Old 10-01-2015, 04:32 AM

Quote:
Check your faulty logic, 3shipguy. I argue that a suit and tie are not necessary, and should have no bearing on the outcome of your interview, which is quite different than arguing you shouldn't wear a suit and tie. If you wear one, you wear one. No where do I say you will be at any disadvantage if you do. You on the other had, are not quite so lenient. Do you see the difference?

As for your last point, maybe I don't want to be in a position to hire? or is that some jab at my work status? Would you like to make it more personal and discuss where I live and what I drive?

By the way, I can't tell exactly from your posts, but are you in a position to hire?
Simple answer, yes. But that doesn't matter, since advice from people in that position does not matter to you. Good luck to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: