Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2015, 03:44 PM

986 posts, read 1,272,386 times

Advertisements

Why is it funny that she wears pantsuits?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2015, 03:55 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,611,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkLadyK View Post
Why is it funny that she wears pantsuits?
You'd have to ask Letterman.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEE_08_OORI

Old 10-19-2015, 04:11 PM

Surely it's not because he and others are using her gender against her, is it?

Old 10-19-2015, 08:05 PM

2,548 posts, read 4,052,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marksmu View Post
Its not callous its the truth. We are not talking about allowing a place to discriminate...we are talking about collecting money from those businesses where a person FEELS that they were discriminated against. This is about money and making it easier to extract from the cities political enemies. You will notice the fines are not high enough to warrant not paying if you are even ACCUSED of having discriminated, yet they can force you to spend months trying to prove you did not....Im not going to go back to my previous post on this issue where I spelled it out clearly..you can click back a few pages to read how its clearly broken down.

And lets also be brutally honest here...there is NOT widespread discrimination in the LGBT community. I go out frequently and in my entire life I have never, not once, seen someone turned away for being LGBT. I see gay people literally everywhere, and I have never seen a problem arise.

I'm not saying it doesn't happen, but it sure as heck does not happen enough to pass a law to cover it that is redundant to current federal laws.

The difference between other cities ordinance and the Houston one is significant enough to vote it down.
I'm so sick of the fake conservatism these days. Stay out of people's business, unless you happen to want to legislate sticking a probe in a woman who is trying to obtain a legal service. Stay out of religion's way... unless that religion is one we don't like, then we're going to go out of our way to stop it. Let businesses make their own decisions-- unless that decision is that they don't want deadly weapons inside their establishment. Then by god, their personal rights be damned, those guns are going inside.

You want to be conservative? Leave people alone. Let an individual decide what gender they are. Stay out of our bedrooms, stay out of our bodies, and keep your damn guns out of my classroom and your bullets out of my children.

Old 10-20-2015, 07:28 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,611,728 times
Quote:
Surely it's not because he and others are using her gender against her, is it?
You'll have to ask him and the others what their motivations are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by houston-nomad View Post
I'm so sick of the fake conservatism these days. Stay out of people's business, unless you happen to want to legislate sticking a probe in a woman who is trying to obtain a legal service. Stay out of religion's way... unless that religion is one we don't like, then we're going to go out of our way to stop it. Let businesses make their own decisions-- unless that decision is that they don't want deadly weapons inside their establishment. Then by god, their personal rights be damned, those guns are going inside.

You want to be conservative? Leave people alone. Let an individual decide what gender they are. Stay out of our bedrooms, stay out of our bodies, and keep your damn guns out of my classroom and your bullets out of my children.
Generally speaking, conservatives are the ones who would like less government in our lives.

Old 10-20-2015, 07:46 AM

1,835 posts, read 3,266,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houston-nomad View Post

I think you are confusing conservatism with every non-progressive cause. I happen to have my own opinions on every issue you just tried to equate to conservatism. And you know how I feel? Ill tell you how I feel - It takes two to make a baby...if you did not want a baby, keep your legs closed and dont have sex OTHERWISE, you dang sure better have that baby daddies consent for that abortion..if you dont, then I want you prodded with more than just an ultrasound machine...A taser would be more appropriate as you end the life of another human for nothing more than your own convenience.

You dont like guns? Fine, dont carry one...I do carry and I am not shy about it, nor will I be shamed by the likes of you....do I like open carry? No - I think it makes too many folks uncomfortable and is un-necessary...I don't allow open carry at my place of business, but I do allow concealed carry...Open carry should not be allowed in schools, but there is no reason a law abiding citizen should be banned from carrying a gun into a school just b/c its a school.

And I am not telling people what gender they are...that was DETERMINED AT BIRTH CONCLUSIVELY even if some folks don't like it. What I am throughly sick and tired of is everyone else in the world thinking the super ultra majority of people need to respect your lifestyle choices when it begins to inconvenience others. Its absurd.

Some followers of Islam believe in Sharia law, should I accomodate that too? Should we allow the rape of little boys/girls b/c some twisted folks think that Islam condones that as well? If you think so, then we will never agree on anything....so Ill go on knowing that the ordinance is nothing but unnecessary grandstanding by a mayor who is term limited and looking to run for a higher office and also looking to be able to extract a little pain from some businesses she knows will not follow her stupid ordinance...its funny how the liberals always shift so far to the left once they are term limited. Up until her final term, Parker was actually doing a good job for a democrat.

Old 10-20-2015, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
You'll have to ask him and the others what their motivations are.
Come on, Pedro. I'm all about having an intelligent debate with you on this topic, but you can't play dumb or our debate isn't intelligent, it's belligerent.

Old 10-20-2015, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marksmu View Post
I think you are confusing conservatism with every non-progressive cause.
Then I am confused. Aren't we throwing around "progressive" in this thread as a synonym for "liberal" (and *******, depending on your level of capability for respectful debate) and "Democrat," and aren't those antonyms of "conservative" and "Republican?"

Can I get a Venn diagram to help me know where I fit, please?

Old 10-20-2015, 08:49 AM

1,835 posts, read 3,266,259 times
Quote:
Then I am confused. Aren't we throwing around "progressive" in this thread as a synonym for "liberal" (and *******, depending on your level of capability for respectful debate) and "Democrat," and aren't those antonyms of "conservative" and "Republican?"

Can I get a Venn diagram to help me know where I fit, please?
Progressive, liberal, democrat all go together...you wont hear me use prerogative terms such as *******. I don't need emotion or name calling, when I have facts.

Also conservative and republican do not go hand in hand, just look at the fights now for evidence of that....I lend myself more of a libertarian conservative....I just don't buy into the libertarian foreign policy problems.

Old 10-20-2015, 08:54 AM

I keep breaking the quote function . . .

My point is - how is Nomad confusing conservatism with non-progressive causes if they are one in the same?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston