Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2015, 02:03 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,747,031 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Except when they want to control women's health care choices or to regulate marriages or....

It's not a matter of how much government interference people want, but what kind of interference they want.
Religious conservatives like to legeslate morality and religion.

Im cool with Libertarianism, but keep your Bible (or Quran or whatever) out of the legislative process.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2015, 02:44 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,615,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
Religious conservatives like to legeslate morality and religion.
Most conservatives do not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkLadyK View Post
Maybe it's because the LGBT community is not the only group who cares about equality for all people. Maybe there are lots of people not in the 3% who are vocal too.
So "equality for all people" translates into gender-less restrooms, showers and locker rooms?

Old 10-20-2015, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Most conservatives do not.
Religious conservatives absolutely do.

Old 10-20-2015, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Religious conservatives absolutely do.
Statistics and documentation please.

Old 10-20-2015, 03:43 PM

986 posts, read 1,272,628 times
Quote:
Statistics and documentation please.

Aren't the people who want to ban gay marriage, make abortion illegal, and teach creationism in public schools religious conservatives?

Old 10-20-2015, 03:45 PM

Quote:
So "equality for all people" translates into gender-less restrooms, showers and locker rooms?
No, actually I was responding to marksmu saying that LGBTs are only 3% of the population but getting "all" the attention. It was almost entirely unrelated to the original point of this thread . . . kind of like 90% of the posts in it, at this point.

Old 10-20-2015, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkLadyK View Post
Aren't the people who want to ban gay marriage, make abortion illegal, and teach creationism in public schools religious conservatives?
I attend church regularly, and I'm a conservative.

I have no problem with gay marriage, but the demographic that voted most against it were black people.

I believe there should be restrictions on abortions. Do you believe there should be no restrictions?

I don't want any religion taught in public schools; however, I have no issue with phrases such as "Some people subscribe to creationism". Do you think that phrase teaches creationism?

Old 10-20-2015, 03:54 PM

I think you are a moderate.

Old 10-20-2015, 04:06 PM

Quote:
I attend church regularly, and I'm a conservative.

I have no problem with gay marriage, but the demographic that voted most against it were black people.

I believe there should be restrictions on abortions. Do you believe there should be no restrictions?

I don't want any religion taught in public schools; however, I have no issue with phrases such as "Some people subscribe to creationism". Do you think that phrase teaches creationism?
If you have no problem with gay marriage and you dont want Christianity taught in public schools, you arent a religious conservative. Religous conservatives are like the below:

http://www.wsj.com/articles/religiou...urt-1435329751

As for abortion, I think women should be the ones who make the restrictions, not men.

Old 10-21-2015, 01:37 AM

2,068 posts, read 2,924,324 times
Quote:
Thats a joke. In a political sense Dallas is more liberal, Houston is more libertarian. Ive lived both places, you havent. Ill take my opinion on the matter over yours.

Here are some sources, knock yourself out:

https://alt.coxnewsweb.com/statesman...081205libs.pdf

Chart of the Week: The most liberal and conservative big cities | Pew Research Center

If you want to say, Greater Houston is overall more liberal than DFW, I might be inclined to agree but by a small margin. However, if you are comparing only Houston with only Dallas, its Dallas.

The Dallas ERO does protect transgender people and it passed by a city vote of 77% to 23%.

https://www.aclu.org/know-your-right...people-and-law

Now, lets see Houston do it. I think they will, but not by the same margin.
Like I said, dream on. My argument is based on real-life experience, which will reveal key lurking variables and circumstances that the rankings in your sources don't tell you about. There is a reason why not too many people see Dallas as more liberal than Houston.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandres View Post
Highly unlikely in my opinion. With the $Texas already spent on perpetrating the "perverts in women's bathrooms" boogeyman I suspect the ordinance is as good as dead come November. Nobody comes out for constitutional elections except for organized special interests anyway. I guess we'll see ...
You'd be surprised how many people will vote in favor of the ordinance, despite all those fear tactics; people already know what the ordinance is truly about.

Quote:
Specifically how?
Equal Rights for everyone. That's how.

The mess that occurred at Gas Lamp is an example of the kinds of scenarios that would be going on in the city without HERO. Again, even the lawyer in that rebuttal video said that himself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston