Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2015, 01:29 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,598,192 times

Advertisements

About a week ago, I happened to be flipping channels on the tv and stopped at the Weather Channel. They were discussing Hurricane Rita and the problems with the evacuation; I assume because it was the ten year anniversary. They touched on the issue of density and how future evacuations will most likely get worse as our population increases.

This got me thinking.

Sandy was essentially a tropical storm when it hit land. It's effects were compounded by the size of the storm and colliding with a nor-easter; however, it's wind speeds weren't that high and even the surge wasn't crazy, although it was substantial. The main problem with Sandy was that it hit an area with a very dense population.

I know there are many proponents of increased population density for Houston on this thread, but my question is whether this is a good idea considering the very real threat Houston will always be under from hurricanes. Many people say we should be focusing less on the road system and more on mass transit, but is that a wise strategy considering that Houston WILL be forced to evacuate every so often.

I remember hearing that a large number of the people who died in New Orleans were those who lacked the ability to find transportation. They had no way to get out prior to the storm.

So, my question is this, do you believe it is wise to push for increased density when strong storms or an inevitability?

This is meant to be a discussion not an argument; therefore, let's stay as open to the opinions of each other as much as possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2015, 02:00 PM

986 posts, read 1,271,553 times
Well you stopped me dead in my tracks when you said Rita was 10 years ago.

Old 09-30-2015, 02:07 PM

1,201 posts, read 1,222,814 times
How exactly are you going to keep people from moving here?

MOST of the people who left didn't need to and the news media was mostly responsible for scaring people. yes people who live in Galveston and such need to get off the island. But if your not on an island or live very close to the coast you don't need to evacuate. I know of people who lived in Conroe leaving that is just silly.

Old 09-30-2015, 02:09 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,568,036 times
Density was the problem with Sandy? I could have sworn it was the amount of water the cities took on but hey that's just what the people I know said that live there.

Density during Rita was an issue because people waited until the last minute to leave. That's the actual problem. Furthermore for a lot of people in New Orleans transportation was offered but far too many people refuse to evacuate.

Old 09-30-2015, 02:25 PM

672 posts, read 846,715 times
I lived in NY when Sandy hit.....density was NOT a problem, the surges though, were! As a matter of fact, when Sandy hit, I was living about 60 miles North of NYC, on the Hudson River and the surge was so bad that it took out one of the power plants in Newburgh, where I worked in the IT dept. That shutdown is actually what caused my company to sell of the plant and move me here to Corp in Houston.

Old 09-30-2015, 02:36 PM

5,287 posts, read 5,783,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortel View Post
How exactly are you going to keep people from moving here?

MOST of the people who left didn't need to and the news media was mostly responsible for scaring people. yes people who live in Galveston and such need to get off the island. But if your not on an island or live very close to the coast you don't need to evacuate. I know of people who lived in Conroe leaving that is just silly.
I think the fact that Katrina had just happened is the main reason for all the Rita panic. No one wanted to take any chances in staying in the vicinity.

Old 09-30-2015, 03:07 PM

108 posts, read 484,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post
I think the fact that Katrina had just happened is the main reason for all the Rita panic. No one wanted to take any chances in staying in the vicinity.
Bingo

Old 09-30-2015, 03:13 PM

8,895 posts, read 19,990,094 times
Bigger problem will be the catastrophic damage if it's a big bad one. I had to interview dr Neil frank during hurricane season a few years back. The reason a damaging storm will be catastrophic for Houston is density and our lax building codes. Our codes and homes aren't built to handle those catastrophic storms.

Old 09-30-2015, 03:40 PM

398 posts, read 394,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texas7 View Post
Our codes and homes aren't built to handle those catastrophic storms.
Too bad Houston was wiped off the map due to those loose building codes during Ike...oh wait...the never happened.
I do recall a lot of windows being blown out of the skyscrapers downtown. Must be those loose regulations for skyscrapers.

Seems like the building codes are fine to me. One thing that does need oversight though is the liberal run city that insist on spending public funds on stupid things like bike trails rather than on drainage improvements which the funds were intended for. Bike trails funded by Rebuild Houston money for streets and drainage
Liberal corruption, which will lead to flooding, is a much bigger threat than sound building codes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post
Then Ike comes a few years later. Everyone remembered how hyped Rita was, most didn't evacuate, the storm was a worse than expected and a lot people wished they would have evacuated. I wonder what the reaction will be for the next storm.

Last edited by NickelsTX; 09-30-2015 at 03:48 PM..

Old 09-30-2015, 03:45 PM

1,347 posts, read 1,819,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickelsTX View Post
Too bad Houston was wiped off the map due to those loose building codes during Ike...oh wait...the never happened. Seems like the building codes are fine to me. One thing that does need oversight though is the liberal run city that insist on spending public funds on stupid things like bike trails rather than on drainage improvements which the funds were intended for. Bike trails funded by Rebuild Houston money for streets and drainage
Liberal corruption, which will lead to flooding, is a much bigger threat than sound building codes.

Then Ike comes a few years later. Everyone remembered how hyped Rita was, most didn't evacuate, the storm was a worse than expected and a lot people wished they would have evacuated. I wonder what the reaction will be for the next storm.
Ike caused nearly $20 billion in damage and wasn't even a category 2 by the time it Houston. You're saying that if we get a cat 5 or extreme cat 5 that the damage wouldn't be way more substantial?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston