Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2015, 06:31 PM

25 posts, read 30,377 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipuck View Post
Most of those taco joints you mentioned are Americanized with extra 50% markup to the product. Why do you want more of those here?
How about for convenience... variety... I know Houston has a ton of good Mexican restaurants, I enjoy a good many of them. But my question was why the chains don't think the Houston market is viable. I can't believe our demographics, culture, etc. are all that different than Dallas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2015, 07:56 PM

29 posts, read 101,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdblaze View Post
As an example, Dallas currently has the following fast food taco franchises off the top of my head (and there are probably more trying to squeeze into that hot market):

Taco Bell
Taco Cabana
Taco Bueno
Taco Casa
Taco Villa
Del Taco
Rosa’s Café
Rusty Taco
Torchy’s Tacos

Meanwhile, in Houston we have:

Taco Bell
Taco Cabana
Torchy's Tacos

Why is it so difficult to open a chain here? I would just like to be able to grab a quick taco through the drive-thru and I'm sick and tired of Taco Bell.
Yeah I know what you mean man I wish Houston had Weinerschnitzel and Dallas has 3 of those and I been eating those things since I lived in El Paso 10 years ago haha. James Coney Island has nothing compared to this place, but any body interested upon opening a franchise in Houston or has anybody they know who is an franchisee you can get a franchise referral from them and this is how it works!

1. Share the good new about buisness ownership possiblility with qualified people, capable of building and operating a Wienerschnitzel restaurant in your market.

2. Have them visit Wienerschnitzel Premium Hot Dogs - The World's Largest Hot Dog Chain and click on "Franchising on our homepage. This will allow them to visit, learn more and submit their contact information.

3. If your referred person moves through the franchise appication and approval process, and later signes a new franchise agreement with full-paid initial franchise fee, then we will send you a check PAYABLE FOR 1,000 WITHIN 30-DAYS OF CONFIRMED PAYMENT.

4. Every new inquiry will be asked where they learned about Wiencerschnitzel We will document and save your contact information when they acknowledge your name as the "refferral source".

Old 09-30-2015, 08:02 PM

189 posts, read 224,431 times
Quote:
I would doubt there are any long lines in Stripes gas stations
Actually, I can name three that are always packed with folks weekday mornings. Stripes on 610 and S. Wayside, Howard dr and 45, and Aldine Bender and JFK. The amount of people that wait is ridiculous.

Old 09-30-2015, 08:26 PM

2,047 posts, read 2,984,276 times
Quote:
How about for convenience... variety... I know Houston has a ton of good Mexican restaurants, I enjoy a good many of them. But my question was why the chains don't think the Houston market is viable. I can't believe our demographics, culture, etc. are all that different than Dallas.
Maybe they notice there are enough ethnic Hispanic restaurants that make real authentic tacos instead of over price junk that only the folks like you will enjoy. Also, they probably found the folks living here have better taste bugs than the chain crap they are serving.

It also help there is a bigger Latin population here that know what a quality taco is.

Old 09-30-2015, 08:28 PM

1,915 posts, read 3,240,059 times
I vote for In N Out Burger and Baja Fresh.

Old 09-30-2015, 09:07 PM

1,614 posts, read 2,662,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HouTxn View Post
Actually, I can name three that are always packed with folks weekday mornings. Stripes on 610 and S. Wayside, Howard dr and 45, and Aldine Bender and JFK. The amount of people that wait is ridiculous.
I will say that the breakfast tacos at Stripes are delicious. The tortillas are freshly made and awesome. No lie.

Old 09-30-2015, 09:10 PM

18,131 posts, read 25,282,316 times
When I moved down here I promised I would never eat in Taco Bell again
I've only eaten there once in 7 years, because some sob friends forced me to do it

There's a speedy stop gas station by my work that makes some amazing breakfast tacos

Old 09-30-2015, 09:24 PM

171 posts, read 246,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipuck View Post
Maybe they notice there are enough ethnic Hispanic restaurants that make real authentic tacos instead of over price junk that only the folks like you will enjoy. Also, they probably found the folks living here have better taste bugs than the chain crap they are serving.

It also help there is a bigger Latin population here that know what a quality taco is.
Pretty harsh way to say it, but this is it. Nothing inconvenient about pulling over the side of the road to the dozen or so taco trucks around town and getting a cheaper, better tasting taco than what you find in a taco bell drive through. Just have to overcome that initial apprehension.

Old 09-30-2015, 09:39 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,451,251 times
Not just tacos.

Office Depot and OfficeMax are very saturated in Houston. I have no idea why the FTC approved that merger but struggling to approve Staples' acqusition. I'm surprised that they overlooked the Houston market when they did not demand any divestitures! (Office Depot should have left OfficeMax alone and merged with Staples in the first place to avoid this situation.)

The Staples-Office Depot/OfficeMax merger would actually make Staples more accessible in Houston. They only came to Houston 5 years ago and grew to 8 stores. But those 8 stores are only in the North/Northwest suburbs, along the Gulf Freeway, and the lone store in Channelview. None in the heavily populated West/Southwest side. (The Sharpstown store closed recently.) Odd choice of locations!

Meanwhile in the rest of America, Staples is around every corner. Dallas is the only one in Texas to have been saturated with all 3 chains. San Antonio and Austin only have a few Staples stores.

Old 10-01-2015, 12:44 AM

25 posts, read 30,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisrock View Post
Pretty harsh way to say it, but this is it. Nothing inconvenient about pulling over the side of the road to the dozen or so taco trucks around town and getting a cheaper, better tasting taco than what you find in a taco bell drive through. Just have to overcome that initial apprehension.
No apprehension here, I eat at taco trucks regularly. I like the chiles toreados that you can't get from a taco bell or similar institution. But that wasn't the point of the original post. Maybe I should have used In and Out burger, Krispy Kreme, and 7eleven, etc. as examples. Ipuck's personal attack is uncalled for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston