Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2015, 02:58 AM

11,761 posts, read 7,254,407 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DejaBlue View Post
I think it's Houston specific because there are tons of threads about food and non-foodies get shot down hard like a sniper for even daring to suggest a chain. It's kind of....weird and Houston specific. I search in other forums and that kind of hostility for chains isn't there as hardcore as it is here.

So I'm curious on why it's so hardcore here.
It's same out here in SF. Houston's Restaurant is family owned and has grown all over the US. I frequented the one's in Houston from the time they were established.

It is one of my favorite places to eat in San Francisco. I often recommend it to others in the SF forum who are looking for a good meal.

As soon as I mention it the snipers instantly come out of the woodwork's claiming it's just a chain! Give me a break

I don't consider Houston's Restaurant a chain like a McCormick and Schmick's or Olive Garden
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2015, 05:37 AM

5,847 posts, read 6,179,338 times
I think it is possible to fall somewhere in the middle. Someone who appreciates the creativity, quality and artistry that goes into food and the "event" that a meal can be, while also occasionally craving the consistency and ease of a chain from time to time. At least that's how I feel.

But how are people defining "chain"? Is it merely the fact that an establishment has multiple locations? Or does it have to do with price point? I find myself using qualifiers like "even though it's a chain" to describe places like Morton's and Ruth's Chris, which are very expensive and have high quality food and service.

Old 10-07-2015, 07:12 AM

2,756 posts, read 3,805,583 times
One good thing about chains are that they have corporate standards for cleanliness and food safety.

I'm not saying every single one of them meets those standards but I do have a certain level of comfort when I go to a random Chili's to get my burger on.

Old 10-07-2015, 07:40 AM

64 posts, read 82,178 times
There are a bunch of good chains in Houston. I like Cheddar's, Pappadeaux, Fogo de Chao, Gringo's. I believe there are much more great ones.

Old 10-07-2015, 10:09 AM

6,720 posts, read 8,384,266 times
I think there is so much variety to the Houston dining scene, that people don't need to waste their money at a mediocre chain restaurant. They are fine, I would rather spend my money on food I can get excited about and not just tolerate. If it's mediocre, I might as well cook. It's cheaper and I am a good cook.

Old 10-07-2015, 10:12 AM

8,275 posts, read 7,941,970 times
For me, its simply that the food at chains is usually inferior to what you would find at a mom and pop - no elitism involved. But I don't hate all chain restaurants either, though there are some I do hate because they just aren't good... Olive Garden is just plain bad Italian food.

The other thing about chain restaurants is that the menu's are designed for the lowest common denominator. This is especially true if the chain is national. There is no way that I am going to go to a national chain Mexican restaurant where the food is designed to be palatable for people from the northeast and Midwest who prefer bland food. For instance, why the hell would I go to El Chico when I can get good homemade Mexican food from a local restaurant?

Quote:
Originally Posted by txdemo View Post
One good thing about chains are that they have corporate standards for cleanliness and food safety.

I'm not saying every single one of them meets those standards but I do have a certain level of comfort when I go to a random Chili's to get my burger on.
Interesting you say that because I was going to use Chili's as an example of a chain that nearly always gives me GI trouble.

Old 10-07-2015, 10:44 AM

8,895 posts, read 19,990,094 times
Well You have your food snobs, your trendsetters, your wanna-be hipsters and those who assume all chains are unhealthy. What one person deems as great may not be another persons cup of tea or fit within their lifestyle or budget. Houston is big enough for all -- eat what you want, enjoy life and don't worry if someone knocks your choice of dining. They may knock it without any knowledge of it whatsoever. Taste buds are unique to each individual. Bad to one may be great to another. Plus it's YOUR choice to make, not theirs.

Old 10-07-2015, 10:44 AM

1,011 posts, read 976,202 times
Does this apply to coffee shops too? Evil Starbucks vs Agora/Catalina/Empire, etc ?

Old 10-07-2015, 10:45 AM

785 posts, read 1,234,281 times
I think it's because Houston has finally transformed into a foodie town, so the level of disdain for chains is starting to become similar to what you'd encounter in places like San Francisco. In fact, we have one of the largest Yelp communities in the country, which was second only to Las Vegas in number of reviews last year.

Houston diners are now more savvy and informed than ever, thanks to our amazing restaurant scene. Five years ago nobody outside the city ever thought of Houston restaurants as anything special; now we regularly have chefs and bar/restaurants showing up in national food magazines and winning Best Of awards. Which in turn attracts even more talent and recognition to our area, and further feeds Houston diners' food obsession.

I think it's a point of pride for most Houstonians that our food is good and that it's finally being recognized. And chains present an easy target to most Houston diners to point out that since our restaurants are so good, "why would you ever eat at so-and-so? It's just a chain..."

Old 10-07-2015, 11:30 AM

8,275 posts, read 7,941,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3shipguy View Post
Does this apply to coffee shops too? Evil Starbucks vs Agora/Catalina/Empire, etc ?
If I have the choice, I'll go for the non-chain coffee shot if for no other reason than it is a different experience and product.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston