Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-06-2015, 07:26 PM

10 posts, read 9,367 times

Advertisements

How possible is it?

Before you answer that question, let me elaborate.

In December, I'll have two bachelor's degrees in management and accounting. I interned for 12 weeks at an accounting firm, but it was in my current state and it was a year or so ago. I will be working towards my CPA at some point in 2016, after the dust has settled with moving and job hunting. I am an experienced waitress and bartender and I'm unafraid to work in that field to start off with if need be. (particularly since Houston's restaurant industry is booming like it is).

I want to have a job before I apply for an apartment because I think having a job offer will help me get better apartments. I do have six to nine months of rent saved plus a separate and pretty healthy savings account, excellent credit and rental history, but I just don't have that in-town job yet. Are there any websites that are specific to jobs in Houston? What's the best way to go about finding a job when you're not living there yet and doing it successfully?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2015, 09:22 PM

5,976 posts, read 15,268,391 times
Default No crystal ball....

No one can tell you the answer to that, unless they will be doing the hiring, and will hire you. It all depends on positions available, and right now, companies are postponing hiring people. Most, but not all.

If you are young, and I'm talking about 25, give or take a few, have you considered an international position? It is an experience you will most likely never regret, and if you are young, now is the time to do it. I would not focus only on Houston, go out and experience other cultures and people out there. Good luck!

Old 10-06-2015, 10:03 PM

2,441 posts, read 2,523,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp View Post
It all depends on positions available, and right now, companies are postponing hiring people. Most, but not all.
You mean oil & gas companies, or all companies in general? I think right now economy is not bad (outside oil & gas).

Old 10-06-2015, 10:29 PM

1,237 posts, read 2,018,863 times
Accounting positions are plentiful in Houston right now, both public and industry. Did you intern at one of the Big 4? I'd start by talking to one of the major accounting recruiting firms, get an idea of how attractive of a candidate you are. Also talk to the Big 4 via campus recruiting. If you get a job with one of them in your current city, an internal transfer is usually a trivial matter. You may have to work a busy season in your current city, but after that should have the latitude to transfer to any city you'd like.

Old 10-07-2015, 06:20 AM

5,976 posts, read 15,268,391 times
Default Yes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Town View Post
You mean oil & gas companies, or all companies in general? I think right now economy is not bad (outside oil & gas).
Yes, mostly O&G, however, many of the O&G companies are laying off all staff, including accountants, so what I am saying is the market is tightening up. My company has let go of mostly geoscientists, but also IT, accounting, even legal and HR.

BTW, as the poster above mentioned, many employers ask for "big 4" experience; my wife said her company also would not entertain candidates unless they had that experience and it really bugged her, she did not have it, but she is a CPA with an Executive MBA from the Bauer school, plus she knew the hiring manager.

Old 10-07-2015, 10:32 AM

10 posts, read 9,367 times
No, the accounting firm I interned in was local and smaller. I'm just looking for an apartment, so that I can say that I have this job and perhaps look better to apartment complexes, but it seems so difficult.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston