Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2015, 02:21 PM

1,614 posts, read 2,661,551 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTexas2010 View Post
In all seriousness, how is this decided / how was the information disseminated to the masses?

Also, is there some inherent advantage to breaking up Halloween?
I lived in Columbus, and I think they said it on the news when the trick or treating would be. I never saw any advantage whatsoever. My husband and I always thought it was the weirdest thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2015, 08:39 AM

1,179 posts, read 1,914,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swopoe View Post
I lived in Columbus, and I think they said it on the news when the trick or treating would be. I never saw any advantage whatsoever. My husband and I always thought it was the weirdest thing.
Crazy Buckeyes.

Old 10-15-2015, 09:56 AM

8,275 posts, read 7,941,970 times
If a kid showed up to my house to trick-or-treat on a day other than Halloween, they'd get nothing. I don't care what the city says.

Old 10-15-2015, 01:40 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,898,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post
If a kid showed up to my house to trick-or-treat on a day other than Halloween, they'd get nothing. I don't care what the city says.
Many cities change it to a weekend day for convenience. Since it is a Saturday this year anyway, no need to change it, but in other places if Halloween was a weekday, it was often celebrated on Friday or Saturday or Sunday. If trick or treating is on Oct 31st, there are designated hours as well - this year Evanston, IL, my old town says it is between 4 pm and 7 pm, while Skokie another town I lived in says it is from 3 pm to 8 pm. The city of Chicago has no set hours.

Old 10-15-2015, 06:11 PM

8,895 posts, read 19,990,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sm24 View Post
Thank you so much for your answer . But this is going to be our first Halloween in Houston . In ohio all cities have different dates and times for trick or treating for kids safety .

That's why I asked .
Wow. That's the weirdest thing I've ever heard. Halloween is Halloween oct. 31 here. Have fun.

Old 10-15-2015, 08:58 PM

398 posts, read 394,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Many cities change it to a weekend day for convenience. Since it is a Saturday this year anyway, no need to change it, but in other places if Halloween was a weekday, it was often celebrated on Friday or Saturday or Sunday. If trick or treating is on Oct 31st, there are designated hours as well - this year Evanston, IL, my old town says it is between 4 pm and 7 pm, while Skokie another town I lived in says it is from 3 pm to 8 pm. The city of Chicago has no set hours.
Dam, do progressives have to regulate EVERYTHING!?! Set T&T times & moving holidays? These people have lost their minds...

Old 10-15-2015, 10:18 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,191,612 times
Check to see if your subdivision has a Nextdoor treat map on the Nextdoor site. You can register your house to show you are participating. I thought it was an excellent idea.

Old 10-16-2015, 08:20 AM

152 posts, read 169,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swopoe View Post
Yeah.. I also found it weird .

Old 10-16-2015, 02:20 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,898,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickelsTX View Post
Dam, do progressives have to regulate EVERYTHING!?! Set T&T times & moving holidays? These people have lost their minds...
Doesn't mean people won't trick or treat outside those hours, but it allows for people with little kids to get them home at a reasonable time. Also, most places have lots of mall options and trunk or treat options if you don't want to go to houses. Most homes with small kids don't want trick or treaters to come late - if you have an infant, the incessant doorbell can keep him or her awake.

Old 10-16-2015, 02:37 PM

2,441 posts, read 2,520,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryjohns View Post
Check to see if your subdivision has a Nextdoor treat map on the Nextdoor site. You can register your house to show you are participating. I thought it was an excellent idea.
This also might attract gang members to your house. I believe they might use this website for their business so I decided to delete my profile from there after first 15 minutes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston