Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2015, 10:18 AM

9,053 posts, read 17,191,612 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by curbur View Post
Even CherryJohn's has a business motivation to provide counter-arguments.
Actually, I don't. If Copperfield was spiraling down, I would just stop suggesting it. They don't chain us to a neighborhood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2015, 10:42 AM

1,347 posts, read 1,819,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipuck View Post
I know some folks with limited capability like you probably think a 70 is a great score, but most highly educated people with higher income don't.
LMAO, oh okay then. Well glad you could take time from your high perch of mental perspective to come shed some light onto me and the other unintelligible peons.

Quote:
One of my kid's friend have parents where both went to Ivy league with PHDs.
Is that supposed to qualify their opinion over mine or others? I've got a little secret for you, albeit undergrad, I actually graduated from an ivy league school. Does that make my opinion more valid to you? If not, then I'm not sure why the above statement matters.

Quote:
He was telling me he think anything less than 100 is a failure in this school system considering how "little" material is covered. I look at him like WTF, but truth is, they are accustomed to higher standard and frankly I rather have those kind of parents with their smart kids than people who think 70 is great.

Those numbers are the first thing potential buyers look at. Every argument you bring out does not provide any facts or stats except because i say so. I don't have much going on this week as it is a slow month, so we can keep going.
I know the school isn't what it once was, (btw I graduated there when it was over 90), but there still are plenty of kids getting good educations and going onto good colleges. You throw these numbers around as if everyone in the school is in the exact same classroom receiving the exact same education. Like crone mentioned before, all schools essentially have two groups, the hardworking pushed students in honors/AP/IB courses, and then students who take general courses. When Langham re-zoned, it did start to bring down those general numbers, but knowing people who have family members at the school, I know that it's still possible to receive a good education there so long as you apply yourself and take the harder courses. In fact, judging from all the going nowhere people I've met from some of Houston's top public and private schools versus people going on to be doctors or an engineer at google in one case or the newest member of a prominent nyc legal firm in another case from this failing school you've been describing, it's entirely up to the individual and how far they want to push themselves. The curriculum is there, whether it's being taught in Seven Lakes or Langham Creek. All these notions that schools are good or bad based on one certain statistic to me seems extremely shortsighted, but hey, apparently I'm the one with limited capability.

Regardless of any of that though, a 20% drop in standardized testing scores is a cause for concern, but does not really spell rapid decline or a completely failing school system, which is what you keep trying to purport. What were the factors that caused that immediate decline? Well Langham was re-zoned to an area where there are a large number of ESL students, thus naturally they are going to have difficulty taking a standardized test in English. Let's see how those numbers project over a 5-10 year span; if they continue to go downward then I would have to agree with you, but if they stay the same or go up, then I would argue that it's just reflective of the new normal of demographics within the school. There's still plenty of kids taking multiple AP classes and receiving a good education there, regardless of how well the kids in the standard courses are learning. After all, if a parent has such high expectations for their children, surely they'll make them take all advanced courses anyways, correct?

It's not to say that you don't make any good points, it's just that you do and then you proceed to give some sweeping generalization that seems extreme and absurd. Again, I've mentioned hyperbole over and over in response to you, and the main reason is because I likely would have agreed with you if you didn't get so outlandish and over the top with your description of the area. There's a pattern with you and taking viewpoints as extreme as you possibly can, and this thread is certainly not the first time it's happened. The best part is, all you're doing is looking at numbers on a sheet of paper, you've admitted you never even really been to the area, yet you apparently intimately know it well enough to tell locals they don't have a clue, and have a dog enough in the fight to keep coming back and trying to shove those numbers in everyone's face. I understood them the first time you mentioned the scores, it's just that I wouldn't use that as a single bar to compare all schools against, nor would I damn an area based on those numbers without really knowing it at all.. and like I said, what further makes you seem preposterous to me is the fact that you do this to multiple areas on multiple threads, every other week. Even if you had a shred of credibility in your comments, it just gets lost on a lot of people here cause 'Oh there's ipuck again trying to tell me my friends or myself live in the hood in my $300k home.'

Old 10-21-2015, 10:48 AM

23,968 posts, read 15,063,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalPlanner View Post
While I agreeing full school choice (doing away with neighborhood school zoning) would end the tie between real estate and public schools - at least within a district - I wonder what the outcome would be. Would schools actually become widely income-integrated? Or would affluent parents (or even middle class parents) either just pull their kids out of public schools altogether (this has happened across several southern states where income and racial integration became unavoidable in public schools), or create new ways like AP and other tracking to ensure no income mixing?

And make no mistake - many affluent suburban parents who based their entire home buying decision on ensuring their children have income homogeneity in their schools would raise holy heck about that kind of policy initiative. "My property value has been destroyed!"
Like when white Beaumont moved to Lumberton?

You are right. That knife cuts both ways. Time was, a bunch of KISD parents came to the administration asking for a separate bus so their kids would not have to ride with kids who lived in a mobile home park. According to the bus driver, they got it.

Old 10-21-2015, 11:26 AM

670 posts, read 1,441,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryjohns View Post
Actually, I don't. If Copperfield was spiraling down, I would just stop suggesting it. They don't chain us to a neighborhood.
Do you ever have any activity in Deerfield? We've been there for 8 years and are forever grateful that our bid for a Copperfield house back in 07 didn't go through. That 529-6 intersection is terrible. Seems like the Deerfield prices have stabilized after a healthy rise in the past few years.

Old 10-21-2015, 11:29 AM

1,347 posts, read 1,819,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texsn95 View Post
Do you ever have any activity in Deerfield? We've been there for 8 years and are forever grateful that our bid for a Copperfield house back in 07 didn't go through. That 529-6 intersection is terrible. Seems like the Deerfield prices have stabilized after a healthy rise in the past few years.
Did you really just try and state that fm529@hwy6 is a worse area than barker-cypress@clay? I give up..

Old 10-21-2015, 11:32 AM

Um, I just said the intersection was terrible. Learn to read perhaps? Jesus Christ dude..

Maybe you should give up and step away from the keyboard. What a novel idea eh? You seem real high-strung...check your BP too.

Old 10-21-2015, 11:36 AM

2,047 posts, read 2,982,728 times
Quote:
Wall of text same thing over and over again
There is a reason why when it comes to suburb in Houston, TW, Katy, and Sugar Land are on top of everybody's list.

You think it is a coincidence that in the childrenatrisk ranking, which I am not too fond is but is a valid indicator for comparison sake,

10 of the top 20 elementary

7 of the middle

5 of the top 20 high school

are all in FBISD, Conroe, and Katy ISD?

I am trying to locate Lowery, Langham Creek, and Cy Falls in there. Only way to locate Cy Falls is in the local news where is a gang violence problem. The top notch Lowery Elementary school some of the folks living there are so fond of? It is 226 out of almost 1000.

Now if you are going to argue about how you can still get a good education anywhere. I am sure it is possible. I think a kid in Hightower got accepted to couple of the Ivy league. So does that mean Hightower is a good school and parents should send their kid there? Maybe beside you, nobody else will.

Now regarding credibility, seems like every person that have chime in here have agree with my comments. The only person that agree with you seems to be yourself. However, go ahead and type more wall of text. I am bored this week.

Old 10-21-2015, 11:41 AM

Quote:
You spoke negatively of an area that I've known for a long time, your opinions reflected what I personally deemed not entirely true about the area no offense, and then you suggest another part of town that you admitted you're completely unfamiliar with. I will admit I was actively arguing with someone else and was likely more agitated than normal, and for that I apologize for the aggressive nature, but regardless of tone, you gotta expect disagreement when stating an opinion in a public forum.
Hmm, yeah, you need a break from the internet.

Old 10-21-2015, 11:41 AM

9,053 posts, read 17,191,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texsn95 View Post

Deerfield is a great neighborhood.

Quote:
Did you really just try and state that fm529@hwy6 is a worse area than barker-cypress@clay? I give up..
I think the poster just meant congestion. I agree, it is horrible on the weekends, when everyone is home and shopping. I don't think about it Monday - Friday - but use the shortcuts on the weekend, to avoid the intersection. It can be done.

Old 10-21-2015, 12:29 PM

16 posts, read 13,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
Ashley.janel, are you still looking for Windows in the Copperfield area?
Yes, I am. Even somewhere near the area is okay, we'd prefer to pick them up ourselves but not have to drive incredibly far to do so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston