Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2015, 03:56 PM

986 posts, read 1,272,386 times

Advertisements

Yeah, I know he would like one that looks tough and manly like that one, but the reviews I've read say that that isn't actually the best way to smoke, as smoke floats up and not sideways. I'll make a trip to Pitts and Spits and see what they say. Thanks for your review on the Weber though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2015, 04:02 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,289,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkLadyK View Post
Yeah, I know he would like one that looks tough and manly like that one, but the reviews I've read say that that isn't actually the best way to smoke, as smoke floats up and not sideways. I'll make a trip to Pitts and Spits and see what they say. Thanks for your review on the Weber though.
Well they do have a tough manly one for $250, that is upright.

Brinkmann Trailmaster Heavy Gauge Charcoal Vertical Smoker | Academy=

Old 10-21-2015, 04:36 PM

5,819 posts, read 7,232,679 times
Wow, lot of misinformation in this thread.

If you want to smoke some meat, AKA BBQ, you need a smoker. Not a Big Green Egg. They do not smoke. You can't add wood easily,and the tinker factor is -zero-.

I've used (and still have) a Weber Smoky Mountain. They are a great starter smoker. Easy to use, hard to screw up, great tasting meat.

But if you want to smoke "central Texas style BBQ", you need an offset smoker. Like in mikeyyc's pic above. Not super expensive (unless you want them to be), and easy to use. Allows the most control over your smoke, heat & flame.

Buy it at Academy. Texas owned & operated, lots of choices, well run stores.

So go Weber or offset. Forget BGE.

Now, for those of you who are going to start arguing about the BGE/Kamado and how well they smoke, have you ever EVER seen one at a BBQ contest?

'nuff said.

Old 10-21-2015, 04:40 PM

5,819 posts, read 7,232,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkLadyK View Post
Not quite. First, either one will work. You see BBQ pros using offset smokers, and vertical smokers. Both are great smokers in the right hands, and honestly, not sure either is better.

But in an offset smoker, the smoke DOES rise. It goes from the firebox, thru the grill area, rising thru the meat/grates, and out the exhaust stack.

Most of the best smokers use offset (eg, Franklin), so there is no way "they don't work". But lots of pros use vertical too, so you can't go wrong.

I will say from a tinker factor, I would go offset. Verticals seem to be more of a "set it and forget it" kinda grill, whereas offsets are always playing with smoke, fire, yada yada.

Old 10-22-2015, 11:06 AM

986 posts, read 1,272,386 times
OK, to be fair, I didn't say they don't work, only that I read they aren't the best way to get smoke to the mean. But your explanation makes sense, and I think the husband would like the "visual imagery" of an offset on the patio, so if those are still going to produce smoky, tender meat, then that works for me. (This is a gift for him.)

So, if I want to spend up to $400 (since that's how much the Weber was gonna be) which ones are my best choices? ('Cuz I'll check out Academy, but I don't really expect the 17-year-old working the grill area to be especially knowledgeable on the subject.)

Old 10-22-2015, 11:43 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,611,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
They aren't local, but the BGE is by far the best.
Depends upon what you mean by "the best".

The BGE is a great cooker - I love mine; however, it does have some deficiencies.

First, size. Sure, they do have that monster XXL BGE at Berings that is $4k, but even it can't cook that much at once.

Second, you can't put a rotisserie in a BGE. Having smoking trays that circulate through the smoke chamber gives you more consistent heat, moves the meat through more smoke and allows the meat to drip on the other racks keeping the moisture up and adding flavor.

Third, it's much easier to add 'fuel' to a firebox than a BGE.

Keep in mind, I constantly recommend the BGE to friends and family, because I love using mine, but there are pluses and minuses to each type of BBQ pit.

The BGE is very versatile and probably the best all-round outdoor cooking device, but not necessarily the best for smoking BBQ.

Quote:
If all you want to do is smoke, I'd go with a BGE or other fully ceramic kamado cooker. They hold their temperature so well, you can literally set it and forget it almost as easily as a pellet smoker.
After a some practice, the temperature part is great. Depending upon what I'm cooking, I'll usually get mine to 235 or 250, and I can have it hold that temperature for 10 hours.

Make sure you get a decent probe so that you don't have to open the egg and just let it run.

Additionally, get a stainless steel bowl to add water and any other flavors to have in the egg to help keep the meat moist.

Quote:
The big black smokers work great, but the level of engagement is higher, as you have to fiddle with fuel and smoke more often. Plus they look like poop in Houston's climate in very short order.
All it takes is getting a BBQ Guru and the temperature and fuel is simple to keep in check. You just program what temperature you want, and make sure you always have fuel in the fire box.

If looks are important, get a stainless steel one or an insulated pit that is powder coated on the outside.

I actually like seeing my black smoker with the weathered look. It has that, "Oh, he's been doing this a while" look.

-------------

Bottom line, if you are just cooking for the family and a few friends, it's extremely hard to beat the BGE. It is an AWESOME product that offers much versatility - slow cooking a pork butt or searing a nice steak.

If you are cooking for larger groups and will be focusing on smoking, it MIGHT be better to look at an actual pit. However, not all pits are created equal, and they can get up there in price.

Old 10-22-2015, 11:44 AM

581 posts, read 615,133 times
BBQ Pits by Klose - Houston, TX This guy's company is in the Oak Forest area. Not the cheap, starter that a WSM is, but they make top quality smokers.

Old 10-22-2015, 11:56 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,611,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
Now, for those of you who are going to start arguing about the BGE/Kamado and how well they smoke, have you ever EVER seen one at a BBQ contest?

'nuff said.
The main ones I see at the contests, that are local companies, are Pitts And Spitts and Pitmaker ( Pitmaker in Houston, Texas. (800) 299-9005 (281) 359-7487 ).

Our main pit (the rotisserie) was made at a place out of Kansas City and our vertical smoker is from Pitmaker - this model: Pitmaker in Houston, Texas. (800) 299-9005 (281) 359-7487

Old 10-22-2015, 12:01 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,289,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Depends upon what you mean by "the best".

The BGE is a great cooker - I love mine; however, it does have some deficiencies.

First, size. Sure, they do have that monster XXL BGE at Berings that is $4k, but even it can't cook that much at once.

Second, you can't put a rotisserie in a BGE. Having smoking trays that circulate through the smoke chamber gives you more consistent heat, moves the meat through more smoke and allows the meat to drip on the other racks keeping the moisture up and adding flavor.

Third, it's much easier to add 'fuel' to a firebox than a BGE.

Keep in mind, I constantly recommend the BGE to friends and family, because I love using mine, but there are pluses and minuses to each type of BBQ pit.

The BGE is very versatile and probably the best all-round outdoor cooking device, but not necessarily the best for smoking BBQ.

After a some practice, the temperature part is great. Depending upon what I'm cooking, I'll usually get mine to 235 or 250, and I can have it hold that temperature for 10 hours.

Make sure you get a decent probe so that you don't have to open the egg and just let it run.

Additionally, get a stainless steel bowl to add water and any other flavors to have in the egg to help keep the meat moist.

All it takes is getting a BBQ Guru and the temperature and fuel is simple to keep in check. You just program what temperature you want, and make sure you always have fuel in the fire box.

If looks are important, get a stainless steel one or an insulated pit that is powder coated on the outside.

I actually like seeing my black smoker with the weathered look. It has that, "Oh, he's been doing this a while" look.

-------------

Bottom line, if you are just cooking for the family and a few friends, it's extremely hard to beat the BGE. It is an AWESOME product that offers much versatility - slow cooking a pork butt or searing a nice steak.

If you are cooking for larger groups and will be focusing on smoking, it MIGHT be better to look at an actual pit. However, not all pits are created equal, and they can get up there in price.
Totally agree.

Old 10-22-2015, 12:52 PM

1,133 posts, read 2,020,413 times
Love love love my Weber Smokey Mountain. I've turned out some amazing Q on it. Highly recommend one! Check out the Weber Virtual Bullet page for a lot of tips on the WSM.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston