Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which area better to live in?
Heights 6 28.57%
Washington/Rice Military 4 19.05%
Memorial Village 11 52.38%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-22-2015, 08:26 AM

345 posts, read 810,335 times

Advertisements

Looking for next home and I kind of like all 3 for different reasons (mainly location) but can't decide and need more info. Washington has great location, heights nice value and up and coming, and memorial villages is clean, safe, and nice.

Suggestions?
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2015, 08:43 AM

1,483 posts, read 1,725,473 times
All of the places you mentioned are safe and pretty clean. Washington/Rice Military has the best location, imho. The new park that winds along Memorial drive is very cool. There are lots of good food options and you have all the downtown events/activities a bike ride away.

Old 10-22-2015, 08:43 AM

1,347 posts, read 1,820,807 times
If money were no object, I'd live in one of the villages or Tanglewood.

Old 10-22-2015, 09:15 AM
fnh

2,888 posts, read 3,911,900 times
My vote is for the Heights, and not simply to make this race more interesting. It has location, charm and a happier vibe than the other choices.

Old 10-22-2015, 09:35 AM

26,191 posts, read 21,579,426 times
We looked at both rice and the heights. We really liked both but ended up in shady acres. Rice has better walkability but that also comes with a downside of even more on street parking and crowding issues. That issue pops up everywhere such as around Crisp which is closer to me I wouldn't want to live within a block of there because of the traffic but the bar/restaurant density isn't as high as Rice

Old 10-22-2015, 10:24 AM

1,513 posts, read 1,791,916 times
Memorial Villages would definitely be my choice from that list. Much larger lots, beautiful scenery, and a quieter, more private feel. Plus you get lower tax rates, much better schools, and (what I've anecdotally heard are) better city services.

Of course if you want walkability, Memorial Villages are out. That doesn't really bother me, but what does annoy me about the villages are that many of their streets are deliberately designed to not connect with one another, so running through/around them can be difficult.

Old 10-22-2015, 11:01 AM

2,086 posts, read 4,131,224 times
Very odd comparison, two apples versus one orange. Given your budget which must be well over $1M it comes down to lifestyle and I just don't understand how that comparison relates...

My pick would be Rice Military out of those three.

Old 10-22-2015, 11:59 AM

5,614 posts, read 4,937,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
We looked at both rice and the heights. We really liked both but ended up in shady acres. Rice has better walkability but that also comes with a downside of even more on street parking and crowding issues. That issue pops up everywhere such as around Crisp which is closer to me I wouldn't want to live within a block of there because of the traffic but the bar/restaurant density isn't as high as Rice
I hope people generally know that walkability generally means that street parking from commercial uses will happen in nearby residential areas. The proximity of commercial to residential is what helps make it walkable. That's perfectly fine in an urban neighborhood like Rice Village. On-street parking is a good thing because it (1) slows traffic and (2) buffers the sidewalk.

Old 10-22-2015, 12:14 PM

1,513 posts, read 1,791,916 times
Too bad that most of the new townhomes built in the Washington corridor/Rice military area have wide curb cuts for their two-car garages, eating up nearly all of the on-street parking in some areas (and leaving what little on-street parking is left designated as permit-only, at least within a few blocks of Washington ave).

I'd consider an on-street parking problem to be limited on-street parking with permit requirements (ie Washington/Rice Military), not ample unrestricted on-street parking that is well-utilized by those patronizing businesses in the area (ie Montrose). The latter is a case of maximizing the utility and usefulness of the street space (thereby reducing the need for big parking lots and expensive parking garages).

Agree with ToyYot, this is kind of a strange comparison. I don't imagine that many buyers cross-shop the Heights/Washington area with Memorial Villages.

Last edited by gwarnecke; 10-22-2015 at 12:26 PM..

Old 10-22-2015, 12:15 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,579,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalPlanner View Post
I hope people generally know that walkability generally means that street parking from commercial uses will happen in nearby residential areas. The proximity of commercial to residential is what helps make it walkable. That's perfectly fine in an urban neighborhood like Rice Village. On-street parking is a good thing because it (1) slows traffic and (2) buffers the sidewalk.

Proximity to commercial property without adequate commercial parking is what makes the on street parking a necessity. I don't feel it's a "good" thing and I certainly wouldn't want it occurring constantly right outside my place of residence hence my choice and my posting. People who don't live in an area where on street is common or highly dense might not realize it's a potential problem until after they've moved in

You are also assuming there is a sidewalk
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: