Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2008, 04:52 PM

14 posts, read 88,817 times

Advertisements

I moved to Katy (Grand Lakes subdivision) from San Antonio 2 1/2 weeks ago. I have two school-aged children and am happy with the public schools they will be attending. However, I also have a 3-year-old (will be 4 next month) and I am having a very hard time finding a school for her. She attended a very good, Learning Thru Play philosophy preschool 3 days/week in San Antonio (my older children attended the same school). I didn't think it would be this hard to find something similar here! I don't believe in making 3 and 4 year olds sit down and work in workbooks or on worksheets. I have been to about 8 schools and have only found one that I really liked but it is not in Katy and took me 25 minutes to get there. I can't believe the ratios (some of the schools I've seen will allow up to 30 children in a class with 2 teachers). Neither the teachers nor the children looked happy to be there in most of the schools I've seen. There are a LOT of montessori schools but I'm not sure that would be a good fit for my daughter. I don't want a church school because we are Jewish and I don't want to confuse her. I don't need full days but would be willing to take her to a full-day school if they offer part-time hours. If any of you know of a decent preschool that is convenient to the Grand Lakes area, please let me know!! Thanks in advance for your advice and recommendations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2008, 09:33 AM

967 posts, read 2,609,081 times
I know you say no church preschool, but I did want to throw a good one in the ring. The Learning Center at Living Word Lutheran Church (mason Rd & Westheimer PKWY) is the only preschool in the area with part-time care. It also has an excellent reputation. While it is a Christian preschool, only about 3% are members of that church. My daughter goes there, we are church members and I used to be a preschool teacher, and feel this is an excellent school. BTW... my oldest went to a Mother's Day out at my best friend's synagogue for a year. (then it closed I don't feel it confused her about our beliefs, but taught her an apreciation for another belief. JMO

Old 08-14-2008, 10:17 AM

1,461 posts, read 5,595,702 times
Primrose School of Cinco Ranch
1540 Peek Road, Katy, Texas 77450
281-693-7711
or

Primrose School of Kelliwood
2402 Westgreen Blvd., Katy, Texas 77450
281-828-1600

Old 08-14-2008, 11:14 AM

49 posts, read 228,009 times
I wouldn't totally rule out the church schools either. FWIW--my sister and I went to a Jewish preschool (we're not Jewish). Plus, some of the church-based preschools in Katy are great. Also, check out KVPAC (Katy Visual & Performing Arts Center), which has a preschool.

Old 08-20-2008, 12:36 PM

14 posts, read 88,817 times
Hi,
I just wanted to say thanks for the replies, I am looking at the KVPAC preschool and so far I like it! The facility is not great (older, the playground is pretty pathetic), but I like the philosophy and the director actually spoke to me in person and seems wonderful. So, thank you for that referral--I never would've know that a preschool existed there if you hadn't told me.
Also, I just wanted to explain myself a bit...my children had lots of non-Jewish friends at their Jewish preschool, and I always thought that was fine b/c, after all, Christianity has its roots in Judaism and teaches the Old Testament which is basically the Jewish Torah. However, the opposite is not true...Judaism does not incorporate any Christian teachings from the New Testament (Judaism begins and ends with the Old Testament), so to send my child to a school that teaches Christian scripture would be exposing her to things that her own religion does not teach and I think the possibilities for confusion are fairly abundant. I did look into a couple of church schools but I was told at both that Bible stories from the New Testament are read to the children and prayers are said throughout the day, so I think that would be a bad idea for us.
Anyway, thanks again for all the helpful info!

Old 11-04-2010, 05:51 PM

1 posts, read 15,775 times
Default Jewish School

Hi, Iberman, and friends,
So it's over two years later. How are things going with Jewish education and such? I just moved from Boston to the Houston area less than two weeks ago, and have not decided where to settle yet.
Have considered Katy, but there are no synagogues in Katy, are there?
(If not, let's create one! :-)))
Are you friendly with any other Jewish people in Katy?
Well, take care, and I look forward to hearing from you.
Thanks,
Btzalel, aka Todd

Old 11-05-2010, 05:41 PM

69 posts, read 406,824 times
I also live in Grand Lakes, and I"ve been very happy with Kids R Kids on Westheimer (cross street is Mason). I am pretty sure that they have a part time program. My daughter has been very happy there for a year, and the teachers and staff have been great!

Old 08-10-2012, 01:55 PM

1 posts, read 13,371 times
We just moved from South Florida to katy Texas and I was wondering between the GT Montessory school or the Kids are kids which one do you think is better Prices are very similar. My Daughter is 3 1/2 yrs old, The montessory school is like 2 blocks away from my house but I liked a lot the structure of the kids are kids? Anyone have experience with either of these schools? Please advise.

Old 08-10-2012, 03:09 PM

1,326 posts, read 3,450,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duncantati View Post
We just moved from South Florida to katy Texas and I was wondering between the GT Montessory school or the Kids are kids which one do you think is better Prices are very similar. My Daughter is 3 1/2 yrs old, The montessory school is like 2 blocks away from my house but I liked a lot the structure of the kids are kids? Anyone have experience with either of these schools? Please advise.
Our son is the same age as your daughter.
He is starting at My Place (off Cinco Ranch Blvd) next week
I would scratch Kids R Kids off the list.
My wife and I went to visit on separate trips and neither of us were impressed.
Looked overcrowded and too much like a daycare rather than a learning center.

Old 08-13-2012, 07:33 AM

302 posts, read 955,068 times
Do yourself a favor and stay AWAY from Kids R Kids... That is the worst place... look for reviews, I made sure I posted mine here and everywhere...

We have our 3 girls (Ages 4, 22 months and 7 months) at My Place. It's not perfect, perfect does not exist, but it's very good. We have had our ups and downs, but all in all, we have found them to be very responsive whenever we have encounter problems. We were concerned with our oldest not learning a whole lot in her classroom, but like I said, it was a concern and they have made an effort and she's doing much much better.

I think as with everything in life, you have to be on top of it. Good Luck with your search
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston