Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2015, 11:25 AM

9,893 posts, read 6,589,672 times

Advertisements

I came to Chinatown years ago and it was straight. Came back recently I see a lot of new buildings. And some construction announced. It used to feel straight up suburban. It's starting to feel more urban. Especially the area that's inside the belt
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2015, 11:29 AM

1,347 posts, read 1,821,133 times
It's the whole city, not just Chinatown, and you're about 4 years late on the party. The construction is about to slow down a lot.

Old 11-03-2015, 07:13 AM

150 posts, read 134,135 times
It is indeed about to slow down, which is good because it is quite possibly possibly the lowest quality construction and most illogically planned area with new development in the city. Everything looks spastic and cheap. Doing nothing to improve the overall image of the area.

Old 11-03-2015, 07:23 AM

2,047 posts, read 2,984,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
I came to Chinatown years ago and it was straight. Came back recently I see a lot of new buildings. And some construction announced. It used to feel straight up suburban. It's starting to feel more urban. Especially the area that's inside the belt
Chinatown always have a different economy than the rest of the city. All the buildings that pop up in Chinatown are from the local banks that have grown leaps and bounds to serve the asian community the last 10 years.

Old 11-03-2015, 08:49 AM

167 posts, read 248,001 times
Quote:
Inside beltway reconstruction of Bellaire Blvd thoroughfare will do miracles for both business and property owners along the Chinatown corridor. Both the Beltway8-Westchase expansion and Westpark tollway access make this now prime location.

Chinatown has exploded from what it was 15 years ago.

Old 11-03-2015, 01:32 PM

480 posts, read 1,698,829 times
Thank God they widened Bellaire Blvd. It's worth saying again, thank God they widened Bellaire Blvd.

Old 11-03-2015, 01:50 PM

702 posts, read 1,236,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timnwendy View Post
Thank God they widened Bellaire Blvd. It's worth saying again, thank God they widened Bellaire Blvd.
Haha, right on. It took awhile and it was painful to drive through during construction, but now? It's nice and barely congested.

Old 11-03-2015, 01:57 PM

5,976 posts, read 15,270,067 times
Default Hmmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by afterdark80 View Post
It is indeed about to slow down, which is good because it is quite possibly possibly the lowest quality construction and most illogically planned area with new development in the city. Everything looks spastic and cheap. Doing nothing to improve the overall image of the area.
If you want an authentic Chinatown, then it has to look different, and well, cheap. I have not been to any Chinatown, including San Francisco's, and saw anything 'modern'. If you were to replace all the people from the Woodlands Market Square businesses and replace just the people with Asians, would it be Chinatown? That was rhetorical of course, but you get my point.

Old 11-03-2015, 03:59 PM

18,132 posts, read 25,282,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp View Post
If you want an authentic Chinatown, then it has to look different, and well, cheap. I have not been to any Chinatown, including San Francisco's, and saw anything 'modern'. If you were to replace all the people from the Woodlands Market Square businesses and replace just the people with Asians, would it be Chinatown? That was rhetorical of course, but you get my point.
"Chinatown" has nothing to do with the buildings
It's about the people and culture in that place

Old 11-03-2015, 05:01 PM

53 posts, read 80,538 times
Quote:
...... It used to feel straight up suburban. It's starting to feel more urban. Especially the area that's inside the belt
It depends on what "urban" means to you. To me, it's still straight-up suburban. Change the novel Asian language signs into English and you have just another car-centric, skanky strip mall lined, concrete saturated, tree-less blob.
The relative lack of chain stores does make it less suburban I suppose. Interesting shops are to be found, interesting just because what is sold is different from the bland brands that exist in the US.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston