Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2015, 04:07 PM
bu2

24,102 posts, read 14,885,315 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
You and I both know that the real reason for the opposition was not actually based on the bathroom issue. You will see the same people voting against another version even with an exemption.
You know nothing about Houston or the people who voted against it.

Old 11-04-2015, 04:10 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,063,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
You know nothing about Houston or the people who voted against it.
Why, because it's impossible to figure out why people would reject this? They've been offering reasons this entire thread.

Old 11-04-2015, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
I agree that there might have been but more so that the narrative was used to pain the opponents and the city of Houston as a bastion of bigots.
You didn't state a fact, that was your opinion of the situation.
There are only a few logical possibilities for the outcome. Either most people in Houston didn't agree with the purpose of the bill and that's why it failed, or most people did and were just too lazy to vote. Neither is a positive reflection on the population of Houston, which is a shame. I've never been a big fan of Houston, honestly, but I expected a lot more from a major city.

As far as my statement that social issues almost always come down to bigotry vs. logic, that's not an opinion. It's just the way it is.

Old 11-04-2015, 04:21 PM

53 posts, read 80,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by curbur View Post
You mean like how gay people have been treated their entire lives by Western society? Prohibited from speaking their minds about how they feel until very recently in the last 1-2 decades, and as children are taught that what they naturally feel is somehow wrong and unacceptable.
No..I think gay people etc should be as free as anyone else. But I think the political leaders of this group are aiming at changing society by having people think that gender is really just a vague idea, which has overtones that appear to be a sort of, "getting back at" straights for all the years of oppression. Your post has that tone too.
Postgenderism, transhumanism...make everyone equal...gender just creates division...men will always be sexist...there are people who really think this way.

Old 11-04-2015, 04:28 PM

1,347 posts, read 1,821,457 times
Quote:
Like I said before, pointing to stats is spurious because the issue is with the vague language in the provision that Houstonians believe would open a potential legal wormhole. I never said I necessarily agreed fully with them but can see their side of it. I don't just dismiss this as a case of bigoted people vs intelligent open minded free thinking souls. Regardless if there are no instances of this happening before or ever in places where a similar measure has passed, the people of Houston just took issue with the language. That's it. You guys keep playing the stats game and avoiding the main point that if things were just worded differently this measure most likely would've passed.

This is simply a matter of rewording a bill, presenting it and dropping the narrative that Houstonians are bigoted.
But if the stats show that the main reason for why people were against it simply isn't founded in reality, then isn't that the main point?

Old 11-04-2015, 04:29 PM

1,347 posts, read 1,821,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
No, you have demonstrated that you are clueless about those who disagree with you on this issue. You may be quite knowledgeable about those who agree with you and about the ordinance.

And you continue to demonstrate your cluelessness with the 2nd paragraph.
Whatever you say at this point. No actual responses to what I've brought up, but I'm clueless.

Old 11-04-2015, 04:33 PM

19,573 posts, read 8,519,803 times
As Anise Parker's reign of tyranny and divisiveness mercifully draws to a close, she has decided to not leave graciously or gracefully (she is term-limited out of office):

Quote:
Houston mayor rips defeat of transgender ‘bathroom bill,’ predicts economic backlash

Houston Mayor Annise Parker wasn’t exactly gracious in defeat, accusing those who opposed the city’s transgender-rights ordinance of “deliberate lies” and predicting the city’s economy would suffer as a result of the measure’s repeal.

In remarks shortly after Tuesday’s balloting, Ms. Parker blamed the Houston Equal Rights Ordinance’s lopsided loss on “a very small but determined group of right-wing ideologues and the religionist right” for waging “a campaign of fear-mongering and deliberate lies.”

The ordinance, named Proposition 1 on the city ballot, lost by 62 to 38 percent despite the strong support of national gay-rights organizations, who poured millions into the local campaign, as well as pro-business groups.
What a disgrace this woman is.

Good riddance, Anise. Don't let the door hit you where the good Lord split you.

Old 11-04-2015, 04:34 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,452,611 times
Quote:
I'm not opposed to HERO. I'm not opposed to the provision per se, just that I understand why the measure failed following the very vague language of the provision and the skeptism of Houstonians toward Parker due to using it to subpoena church sermons.
The pastors were afraid of the sunlight that would expose their churches as the Republican Party "prayer" meeting. It's more like guilting you and a fire-and-brimstone (Hell) sermon about not voting for the approved candidates/party. The content of those sermons would have revealed it. Bush hid his criminal activity by declaring it as classified/national security/state secrets, the pastors used the first amendment to the same effect. Same outcome, different method.

Quote:
Rewrite the measure and watch it pass with flying colors. Yet after all this its shown how emotionally driven the social justice types are with their talks of "boycotting" Houston and all the comments saying F Texas, F Houston that POS backwards town.
Actually it may not pass with how the electorate is now structured due to the Voter I.D. law.

The boycott may expand beyond Metro Houston to all of Texas (including San Antonio, Austin, and DFW). The national media will report it as Texas, not Houston. It may foment into the #TexasBoycott since most Texans identify with the state and not with their city/major metro.

Not good news in a slowing economy (oil malaise, et al.), while the economy outside of Texas is recovering and in some places booming!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Do a Google search using "woman assaulted bathroom" and you'll see that it happens way too frequently.
Anecdotal evidence. But how about men being raped by women? Google that too. It happens, but you downplay its existence with the overemphasis on women being raped by men.

A woman was raped at the Kroger parking lot last week in The Woodlands last week. Did not involve the bathroom but the parking lot of a suburban/exurban grocery store. NEWSFLASH! Rape does not just happen in bathrooms.

Old 11-04-2015, 04:37 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,011,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by curbur View Post
But if the stats show that the main reason for why people were against it simply isn't founded in reality, then isn't that the main point?
The stats don't show that. They show the very low probability of something like that happening but not the chance of it ever happening. The scenerios brought up might happen and that's all that concerned the voters. Like I said, I don't necessarily agree with them but I can at least have enough sense to say, "ok, I can kinda see your point, lets re-draft the measure." I don't jump to the conclusion that this is another paramount episode in the quest for equality and label all people bigots. So again, the issue was with the vague language of the bill.

Old 11-04-2015, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
As Anise Parker's reign of tyranny and divisiveness mercifully draws to a close, she has decided to not leave graciously or gracefully (she is term-limited out of office):

What a disgrace this woman is.

Good riddance, Anise. Don't let the door hit you where the good Lord split you.
In a time when GLBT are more and more accepted, when gay marriage is legal nationally and when more and more cities are enacting anti-discrimination ordinances, there may in fact be some economic repercussions to Houston. Some companies may think twice about investing there because their image could be affected in an increasingly hostile environment towards that kind of bigotry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston