Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2015, 07:07 AM

1,192 posts, read 3,482,755 times

Advertisements

I don't think Houstonians realize how much this rejection will hurt the city's long-term future. We've already had an official from the NCAA basketball tournament state that it's too late to cancel next years' games in Houston but this will "have a definite effect on future considerations of Houston's hosting events". Even beyond the sports and special events lost will be an even bigger loss to the ability in attracting the "best and the brightest" workers from around the USA and around the world.

Does anyone think that this knee-jerk rejection of a good ordinance based on an absolutely convoluted sense of logic that basically gives the world the message that Houston rejects sexual and racial minorities can be a good thing? Does anybody think that world-class engineers for our energy industry, computer programmers for our rising tech industry, doctors for our (at least for now) renowned Houston Medical Center will be itching to move here? Especially if they are gay or transgendered, I can't imagine they would even for a great job at a great salary if they are afraid some neandrathal is going to bash their head in coming out of a bar in Montrose!

Now I know that many of the NO voters are sincerely just worried (rather irrationally albeit) about their daughters in the bathroom, yadda yadda yadda. However, I wonder how many just use this line of reasoning as an excuse to dump on all gay, transgendered, minority, and people who are "different" in general?

I see this need to "sell" the world's top workers on the city in my day to day life. I started working in CA for an energy company that moved to Houston and it was a REALLY tough sell, even pre HERO, to get all the top California natives to move here. Many found other jobs and quit. Once here, this CA company (one of the few big ones in Oil) has a real advantage in hiring over the Texas-based ones. Because of the perception (true) that it is modern and tolerant (at least for in Oil) we have a huge advantage hiring really top-notch gay employees from places like Rice, Stanford, Berkely, etc who would normally never want to work for a Houston company or live in Houston.

I'm really hoping HERO can be repackaged some day under a new name and a future generation of more tolerant voters pass it. Houston deserves a better future as (someday!) a true World Class City. Why don't people realize that you can't be a World Class City that's got a world-wide reputation as redneck and a Iranian-style Christian Theocracy!

Old 11-05-2015, 07:21 AM

1,658 posts, read 1,241,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamba_boy View Post
I don't think Houstonians realize how much this rejection will hurt the city's long-term future. We've already had an official from the NCAA basketball tournament state that it's too late to cancel next years' games in Houston but this will "have a definite effect on future considerations of Houston's hosting events". Even beyond the sports and special events lost will be an even bigger loss to the ability in attracting the "best and the brightest" workers from around the USA and around the world.

Does anyone think that this knee-jerk rejection of a good ordinance based on an absolutely convoluted sense of logic that basically gives the world the message that Houston rejects sexual and racial minorities can be a good thing? Does anybody think that world-class engineers for our energy industry, computer programmers for our rising tech industry, doctors for our (at least for now) renowned Houston Medical Center will be itching to move here? Especially if they are gay or transgendered, I can't imagine they would even for a great job at a great salary if they are afraid some neandrathal is going to bash their head in coming out of a bar in Montrose!

Now I know that many of the NO voters are sincerely just worried (rather irrationally albeit) about their daughters in the bathroom, yadda yadda yadda. However, I wonder how many just use this line of reasoning as an excuse to dump on all gay, transgendered, minority, and people who are "different" in general?

I see this need to "sell" the world's top workers on the city in my day to day life. I started working in CA for an energy company that moved to Houston and it was a REALLY tough sell, even pre HERO, to get all the top California natives to move here. Many found other jobs and quit. Once here, this CA company (one of the few big ones in Oil) has a real advantage in hiring over the Texas-based ones. Because of the perception (true) that it is modern and tolerant (at least for in Oil) we have a huge advantage hiring really top-notch gay employees from places like Rice, Stanford, Berkely, etc who would normally never want to work for a Houston company or live in Houston.

I'm really hoping HERO can be repackaged some day under a new name and a future generation of more tolerant voters pass it. Houston deserves a better future as (someday!) a true World Class City. Why don't people realize that you can't be a World Class City that's got a world-wide reputation as redneck and a Iranian-style Christian Theocracy!
Get help.

Old 11-05-2015, 07:21 AM

18,129 posts, read 25,278,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Maybe voting against HERO wasn't so bad
All this events are a huge waste of tax dollars

Old 11-05-2015, 07:26 AM

7,528 posts, read 10,255,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
What was actually voted down here is the proposition that people can "self identify" their sex.

No, you cannot.
No only can people self-identify their gender, we do. I'm a male. What gender are you?

Old 11-05-2015, 07:30 AM

5,462 posts, read 3,034,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
Houston was given a chance on the national stage to demonstrate that it has matured into a modern progressive city. Well . . . EPIC FAIL! No amount of perfume is going to cover this turd.
After jobs, infrastructure,growth etc finally it comes to toilets to determine progression on world stage.

Old 11-05-2015, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Maybe voting against HERO wasn't so bad
All this events are a huge waste of tax dollars
Ah, but don't hotels, restaurants and retail establishments love those tourist dollars? Not to mention the tax dollars the city gets from these events. Guess Houston can kiss those dollars away along with the city's reputation as being a tolerant city fully up to date in the 21st century

Old 11-05-2015, 07:32 AM

3,842 posts, read 8,267,922 times
While I am all for equal rights and anti-discrimination, I think some of y'all are reading way too much into this. Just like some of y'all clamoring about folks buying into the 'man in woman's bathroom' hype, now there is this incredible hyperbole about Houston losing all it's sports teams and spiraling into economic despair.

Unfortunately too many people just didn't give a care to vote. Might want to direct your energy to improving that.

Old 11-05-2015, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanv3 View Post
After jobs, infrastructure,growth etc finally it comes to toilets to determine progression on world stage.
https://images.search.yahoo.com/sear...01&fr2=piv-web

Old 11-05-2015, 07:41 AM

2,047 posts, read 2,983,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
Ah, but don't hotels, restaurants and retail establishments love those tourist dollars? Not to mention the tax dollars the city gets from these events. Guess Houston can kiss those dollars away along with the city's reputation as being a tolerant city fully up to date in the 21st century
Seriously?

People come to this city and state because we appreciate it is not full of liberal idiots that shove their agendas down our throat.

Do whatever hell you want, just don't ask the city/state to force it to the rest of the citizens.

Or we could follow dying city models like Philadelphia where liberal agendas that people cannot afford but is the "right" thing to do get passed left and right. Is that city even meaningful anymore?

So take your whining somewhere else. Most of the people here are generally happy with what is happening here.

Old 11-05-2015, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipuck View Post
Seriously?

People come to this city and state because we appreciate it is not full of liberal idiots that shove their agendas down our throat.

Do whatever hell you want, just don't ask the city/state to force it to the rest of the citizens.

Or we could follow dying city models like Philadelphia where liberal agendas that people cannot afford but is the "right" thing to do get passed left and right. Is that city even meaningful anymore?

So take your whining somewhere else. Most of the people here are generally happy with what is happening here.
I'm hardly whining. Just kiss those easy dollars goodbye.

As for your lack of knowledge of Philly, that's another thread. I simply say that Philly's on a tear. You can read about on the Philly forum: //www.city-data.com/forum/phila...ia-2035-a.html. It's Houston that seems to be headed for a slow down. Gosh, your city even has a sticky thread on all the layoffs under way!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston