Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2015, 09:48 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,615,505 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
I really don't know either, but the amateur psychologist in me says it very well may be that simple.

Steven Hotze did work very hard to defeat this measure however the measure was defeated with votes largely from the minority community which I think you will agree are not normally directly influenced by the evil doctor. The opponents zeroed in on the "bathroom issue" funded it well and kept Steven Hotze out of view.

To just blame the Doctor gives what I believe is a false impression that this was an old style white redneck repudiation of progressive ideas. Yes the Redneck agenda was elated by the result but the real reason HERO failed was lack of minority support which many claim was due to a lack of outreach and understanding from proponents who in many cases were not familiar with the local electorial landscape.
WRONG!!!!

People of all races and ethnic backgrounds voted to keep men from being able to go into the women's restroom.

If you choose to ignore this FACT, that is your choice.

Old 11-06-2015, 10:10 AM

7,528 posts, read 10,259,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston321 View Post
There are plenty of federal laws that protect against discrimination. Now, just because the ones you wanted were rejected by a majority of voters, that is just too bad. Go back to the drawing board and draw up a bill that the majority of voters will accept. Otherwise, deal with the results.
Learn something: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Empl...rimination_Act

Old 11-06-2015, 10:20 AM

6,292 posts, read 7,500,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
WRONG!!!!

People of all races and ethnic backgrounds voted to keep men from being able to go into the women's restroom.

If you choose to ignore this FACT, that is your choice.
I'M RIGHT !!!!!

You split the white vote as evenly as possible then you get overwhelming minority support and voila, you have the formula that gets progressive ideas and candidates elected not only in Houston and Texas but the entire USA as well. How many Democrats would get elected without using this simple to understand(for most people) political formula?..

Old 11-06-2015, 10:28 AM

Quote:
I'M RIGHT !!!!!

You split the white vote as evenly as possible then you get overwhelming minority support and voila, you have the formula that gets progressive ideas and candidates elected not only in Houston and Texas but the entire USA as well. How many Democrats would get elected without using this simple to understand(for most people) political formula?..
Sorry, but he black and Hispanic communities aren't going to give overwhelming support for men going into the women's restrooms.

Do you want to discuss the black vote when the issue of gay marriage was on many ballots a few years back?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...110603880.html

Quote:
Seven in 10 African Americans who went to the polls voted yes on Proposition 8, the ballot measure overruling a state Supreme Court judgment that legalized same-sex marriage
BTW, for those people rationalizing in their own heads that it was just a huge turnout by conservatives and liberals stayed home, if that were the case, King would be the mayor elect now.

The TRUTH is that many many liberals voted against HERO because of the bathroom issue.

Old 11-06-2015, 10:38 AM

16,345 posts, read 18,063,833 times
Quote:
Sorry, but he black and Hispanic communities aren't going to give overwhelming support for men going into the women's restrooms.

Do you want to discuss the black vote when the issue of gay marriage was on many ballots a few years back?

Most of California's Black Voters Backed Gay Marriage Ban

BTW, for those people rationalizing in their own heads that it was just a huge turnout by conservatives and liberals stayed home, if that were the case, King would be the mayor elect now.

The TRUTH is that many many liberals voted against HERO because of the bathroom issue.
I basically already addressed it the first time you brought it up. People don't tend to learn from their own histories of discrimination. Victims becoming victimizers is a common theme in history and the present. Plus, a lot of this discrimination is religiously-motivated, and the AA community in particular tends to be fairly conservative in this regard.

It ultimately doesn't matter who voted against the bill. It was still the wrong move.

Old 11-06-2015, 11:11 AM

Quote:

Most of California's Black Voters Backed Gay Marriage Ban

Right, and those "liberals" were overwhelmingly minority, White liberals voted for Proposition 1. The "White" voters in the city at large were fairly evenly split, add that with overwhelming minority opposition from voters who split their votes and voted for "Liberal" candidates for Mayor and against prop 1.

The point I wanted to make is that the electorate that rejected HERO was not a continuation of the old school Southern or Texan good ole boy electorate from yesteryear that some liberals in this thread seem to be blaming for this defeat. It is a totally different electorate that for the most part does consider itself "Progressive"

Last edited by Jack Lance; 11-06-2015 at 12:05 PM..

Old 11-06-2015, 11:12 AM

1,743 posts, read 3,821,369 times
Learn something: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Empl...rimination_Act

Your proposition lost, get over it, or create a bill that the majority of Harris County voters will approve. It was rejected and poorly done. Good luck.

Old 11-06-2015, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Right, and those "liberals" were overwhelmingly minority, White liberals voted for Proposition 1. The "White" voters in the city at large were fairly evenly split, add that with overwhelming minority opposition from voters who split their votes and voted for "Liberal" candidates for Mayor and against prop 1.

The point I wanted to make is that the electorate that rejected HERO was not a continuation of the old school Southern or Texan good ole boy electorate from yesteryear that some liberals in this thread seem to be blaming for this defeat. It is a totally different electorate that for the most part does consider itself "Progressive"
My dispute with your post is that I feel the black and Hispanic knew exactly why they voted the way they did. There was no lack of understanding on their side, they knew HERO allowed men into women's restrooms, and they voted against that.

Old 11-06-2015, 12:19 PM

Quote:
My dispute with your post is that I feel the black and Hispanic knew exactly why they voted the way they did. There was no lack of understanding on their side, they knew HERO allowed men into women's restrooms, and they voted against that.
I agree that that was what their understanding was. Whether that understanding was fact or not is irrelevant to the point I was making.

Old 11-06-2015, 01:09 PM

3,283 posts, read 6,051,955 times
Minorities voting against anti discrimination laws. wait until the anti hispanic backlash hits the south hard. If you havent been paying attention its coming from the right flank.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston