Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2015, 04:50 AM

17 posts, read 24,414 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Krinkle View Post
As far as Bill King's back to the basics slogan goes:

1: Balance the budget: The pension plan is a mess as discussed above.

Sylvester Turner pretty much has the same agenda.
How can it be the same agenda, given that Turner is opposed to shifting pensions to defined contribution?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2015, 06:29 AM

5,819 posts, read 7,228,136 times
Quote:
As far as Bill King's back to the basics slogan goes:

1: Balance the budget: The pension plan is a mess as discussed above.

Sylvester Turner pretty much has the same agenda.
Every politician has the same plan. Balance the budget. The difference is whether they want to do it by raising taxes to pay for everything, or lower spending to match current income. Or some combo.

With Turner, he will attempt to raise more money to pay for everything, and keep the pensions flush. With King, he will attempt to scale back, especially pensions, to slow down the red ink.

Both, however, are faced with keeping basic city functions going with restricted income (due to tax cap). Streets and other basics of city life are getting stressed. It's not going to be easy, regardless of approach.

This is the basic decision Houstonians will have to make. Which tact to accept.

Old 11-09-2015, 12:01 PM

150 posts, read 133,910 times
No one believes this.
Your vote for Turner is about as predictable as mullets in NASCAR.

Quote:
I'm not sure who I will vote for yet. I want to see the debate.

Old 11-09-2015, 12:38 PM

1,045 posts, read 2,153,335 times
I'm not a fan of either. I voted for Steve Costello. Unlike most, I don't strictly vote republican or democrat.

Old 11-09-2015, 03:23 PM

1,743 posts, read 3,818,989 times
Hewwwoh Costewwwoh

Old 11-09-2015, 07:39 PM

1,534 posts, read 3,493,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston321 View Post
Hewwwoh Costewwwoh
Hahaha, that commercial made my skin crawl, had to change the channel every time. That ad agency he used should have been fired. Did he not have common sense when he approved of that commercial? I'm sure he didn't intend this but the commercial seemed to be mocking handicapped people.

Old 11-09-2015, 07:47 PM

6,288 posts, read 7,492,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonfan View Post
Hahaha, that commercial made my skin crawl, had to change the channel every time. That ad agency he used should have been fired. Did he not have common sense when he approved of that commercial? I'm sure he didn't intend this but the commercial seemed to be mocking handicapped people.
I liked the commercial. Maybe its because I'm a jogger and exchange similar greetings while running past many of my neighbors often.

I don't think he was handicapped, I think the kid just had a heavy New York accent.

Old 11-10-2015, 06:30 AM

Quote:
I'm not a fan of either. I voted for Steve Costello. Unlike most, I don't strictly vote republican or democrat.
How do you know this? What makes you think that YOU manage to vote independent, but the rest of us DON'T?

We are now down to a runoff. Between two candidates. We're discussing those two. There's not much point in saying, "gee, I voted for someone else, who was an independent, and y'all are a bunch of biased partisans". It doesn't matter how I voted before, I have a choice of two now. Discussing those two doesn't make me either red or blue, it makes me a realist. Discussing someone who lost makes me...

Old 11-10-2015, 08:50 AM

1,045 posts, read 2,153,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
How do you know this? What makes you think that YOU manage to vote independent, but the rest of us DON'T?

We are now down to a runoff. Between two candidates. We're discussing those two. There's not much point in saying, "gee, I voted for someone else, who was an independent, and y'all are a bunch of biased partisans". It doesn't matter how I voted before, I have a choice of two now. Discussing those two doesn't make me either red or blue, it makes me a realist. Discussing someone who lost makes me...
I only stated this because Afterdark's tone sounded like I was voting for Turner because he is a democrat. And true I shouldn't have said "most" people...I should have said "a lot" of people.

Old 11-10-2015, 05:12 PM

Quote:
I only stated this because Afterdark's tone sounded like I was voting for Turner because he is a democrat. And true I shouldn't have said "most" people...I should have said "a lot" of people.
Ah, ok, fair enough. Sorry if I was harsh in response.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: