Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2015, 02:38 PM

9 posts, read 8,487 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
My wife and I are interested in a townhome in rice military.
It is in the east of westcott and south of Washington.
We got seller's disclosure.
It was said that the home had "previous flooding into the structures".
But "previous flooding onto the property" in not checked.
1. what's the difference between these two options?

2. Previous roof repairs is checked
Other structural repairs is checked
water penetration is checked
wood rot is checked

And it was said that "Water penetration during Hurricane IKE during previous owners, they replaced all flooring with new hardwood to eliminate rot"

Definitely we will have an inspection if we went in.
Could this be a big issue? Does anyone know what the situation in the rice military when IKE?
Any suggestion?

Thank you in advance.

Kei
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2015, 02:52 PM

5,976 posts, read 15,270,067 times
Default Known to flood

It is not prone to flooding often, however, it has been known to flood during unusual heavy downpours like we had recently, or with a tropical storm/hurricane. Ironically, I think there is not any large canal close by to drain the water. Ike as you mentioned, but I also recall TS Allison, lots of places flooded that normally don't get flooded. Since they've built so much in the last seven, or so years, that means more water that has to go somewhere, but can't. I'd make sure to get special attention to the grade of the yard (or what you have of one) when you get it inspected, make sure the lawn drains properly. Good luck.

Old 11-16-2015, 09:14 PM

Thanks

Old 11-17-2015, 04:20 AM

2,756 posts, read 3,807,947 times
There are plenty of homes that have never flooded. Previous flooding would be a deal killer for me. Ask anyone that's ever had their home flooded before and you'll get the same answer.

Old 11-17-2015, 05:30 AM

8,895 posts, read 19,997,888 times
I wouldn't go for previously flooded. There's a difference from a busted pipe or overflowed sink or toilet vs flooding from rain or storm.

Old 11-17-2015, 05:53 AM

2,165 posts, read 3,772,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp View Post
It is not prone to flooding often, however, it has been known to flood during unusual heavy downpours like we had recently, or with a tropical storm/hurricane.
basically that means anytime it sprinkles that area will be several feet under water.

I'd pass and find another home.

Old 11-17-2015, 09:15 AM

2,052 posts, read 5,872,503 times
It almost sounds like the sellers did not have adequate guidance in filling out the disclosure forms and probably should not have checked the "previous flooding into the structures" notation. From the other comments it seems like there was water penetration probably from the roof or windows that "flooded" the inside of the house, while there was no real flooding or rising waters around the house on the property. I could see someone having "previous flooding onto the property" and not have the structures flood, but not the other way around. Does not seem logical unless there was a pipe that burst/tub overflow or something like that, but that should be in the notations. And I would not consider that damage to be flood damage, but rather water damage.

We lost several shingles in Ike, and had sheetrock damage below it, along with water penetration around our windows downstairs damaging the sheetrock and insulation too. That was a common occurrence during Ike.

Good luck on your search!

Old 11-17-2015, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trbstang View Post
It almost sounds like the sellers did not have adequate guidance in filling out the disclosure forms and probably should not have checked the "previous flooding into the structures" notation. From the other comments it seems like there was water penetration probably from the roof or windows that "flooded" the inside of the house, while there was no real flooding or rising waters around the house on the property. I could see someone having "previous flooding onto the property" and not have the structures flood, but not the other way around. Does not seem logical unless there was a pipe that burst/tub overflow or something like that, but that should be in the notations. And I would not consider that damage to be flood damage, but rather water damage.

We lost several shingles in Ike, and had sheetrock damage below it, along with water penetration around our windows downstairs damaging the sheetrock and insulation too. That was a common occurrence during Ike.

Good luck on your search!
Thank you for your reply.
Actually, "previous flooding into the structures" is checked and "previous flooding onto the property" is not checked.
Do you know the difference between these two?

Thank you!!!

Old 11-17-2015, 11:34 AM

5,976 posts, read 15,270,067 times
Default Plumbing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keiutou View Post
Actually, "previous flooding into the structures" is checked and "previous flooding onto the property" is not checked.
Do you know the difference between these two?

Thank you!!!
To me, that sounds like there was a plumbing malfunction, and the inside flooded as opposed to water coming in from the outside (ground). You might try knocking on a neighbor's door and asking them about flooding just to confirm.

Old 11-17-2015, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp View Post
To me, that sounds like there was a plumbing malfunction, and the inside flooded as opposed to water coming in from the outside (ground). You might try knocking on a neighbor's door and asking them about flooding just to confirm.

"there was a plumbing malfunction" is structure?
and "water coming in from the outside (ground)" is property?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston