Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2015, 12:29 AM

17,874 posts, read 15,925,121 times

Advertisements

I just visited your nice city. I went to Bellaire Blvd, and it seems split right down the middle by Sam Houston Tollway with Chinatown on the east side, and Little Saigon on the westside.

Which actually is larger in number? Which asian subgroup would be third in terms of population?

Also funny thing I have noticed is it seems the chinese were actually once prominent on the westside of the Sam Houston Tollway. There are lots of storefronts with Chinese monikers like the Hong Kong food market. I walked in there, and it had lots of chinese decor, and food items. It is however run by vietnamese speaking immigrants. I am guessing, they bought out the chinese. There were also many signs on that side of Bellaire Blvd that had chinese language characters on them. But almost all the people in the parking lot were speaking vietnamese.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2015, 09:20 AM
JL

8,522 posts, read 14,528,733 times
I haven't kept in touch for a while, but the Vietnamese population is larger. The Chinese community will likely grow faster and population eventually pass the Vietnamese community. There are quite a few Chinese/Vietnamese("cholon" vietnamese as some of the old folks call it) people in Houston.

Old 12-26-2015, 09:58 AM

2,047 posts, read 2,982,728 times
I believe the west side of BW8 have always been Chinese/Vietnamese like JL said. They are chinese immigrants that move or born in Vietnam and probably identify more as Vietnamese than Chinese. That is why you see Chinese signs but they all speak Vietnamese.

Houston is the 2nd or 3rd largest Vietnamese community in US after LA and Bay Area.

Chinese population have exploded here the last 10 years. Just like most immigrant friendly city, it follow a pattern of slow trickle of chinese and then mass migration where one relative come first and become successful, then friends and family come afterward and a network is established.

It also helps there have been plentiful jobs and COL is relatively low compared to the other immigrant friendly city like LA or NY.

Old 12-26-2015, 12:25 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,728,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JL View Post
I haven't kept in touch for a while, but the Vietnamese population is larger. The Chinese community will likely grow faster and population eventually pass the Vietnamese community. There are quite a few Chinese/Vietnamese("cholon" vietnamese as some of the old folks call it) people in Houston.
Dont think thats going to happen. Vietnamese population is growing faster than the Chinese population in Houston. Not the case in any other metro area except Houston and DFW, but it is that way here.

Old 12-26-2015, 01:28 PM

2,047 posts, read 2,982,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
Dont think thats going to happen. Vietnamese population is growing faster than the Chinese population in Houston. Not the case in any other metro area except Houston and DFW, but it is that way here.
That will absolutely happen. There are 11x more chinese people than vietnamese people and the trend is already happening. Houston was not a first stop immigrant city for Chinese till recently and especially now there is enough Chinese here to create that immigrant supoort network to move here.

Old 12-26-2015, 02:11 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,728,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipuck View Post
That will absolutely happen. There are 11x more chinese people than vietnamese people and the trend is already happening. Houston was not a first stop immigrant city for Chinese till recently and especially now there is enough Chinese here to create that immigrant supoort network to move here.
When Houston starts to attact more Chinese than Vietnamese, we can have the conversation about when it will happen.

Old 12-26-2015, 05:22 PM

18,123 posts, read 25,266,042 times
Why is it that nobody ever asks Chinese immigrants to "assimilate" and instead encourage them to build China towns?

Old 12-27-2015, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipuck View Post
I believe the west side of BW8 have always been Chinese/Vietnamese like JL said. They are chinese immigrants that move or born in Vietnam and probably identify more as Vietnamese than Chinese. That is why you see Chinese signs but they all speak Vietnamese.
Funny, because I think all the chinese vietnamese in NYC can speak cantonese. I have been in some vietnamese restaurants in chinatown, and Flushing, and I hear the waiters speaking cantonese.

And also, the old chinatown, where they built the BBVA Compass Arena, was that cantonese or originally also vietnamese?

Old 12-27-2015, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Why is it that nobody ever asks Chinese immigrants to "assimilate" and instead encourage them to build China towns?
They can collect taxes. It is niche market, so the more businesses, the more revenue stream, the more money the government can collect.

Old 12-27-2015, 07:34 AM

998 posts, read 1,324,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
hmm.... Interesting isn't it? .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: