Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you consider Houston a progressive city?
Yes 22 32.35%
No 37 54.41%
undecided 9 13.24%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2016, 04:56 PM

6,290 posts, read 7,495,190 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgiraffe View Post
Yes, but that all ties back to history.

People love to say slavery is over, but you have to realize blacks were enslaved for many years. We're still feeling the affects of that.

Faith, religion and slavery go hand and hand for us. It was our faith and religion that got us through the hardships and the struggles and the belief in something greater than us. Over time, these things morph into one.

The original inception of our hatred for homosexuality and acts stem from a place of oppression. For many years we related it to that. Many black cultures have folklore and fairytales that have been passed on for years of creatures and monsters that would rape you in your sleep.

And than you go to modern day institutionalized slavery aka prisons, where many blacks go through, which rape is used to instill fear and power over others.

It's deeper than religion and it's a reason why blacks have strong ties to their religion.

THe public education system continues to fail us.

If people knew the true horror of slavery and black oppression. The world would have a deeper understanding of why many of us blacks tend to be more offended or passionate about somethings.

But none of this explains why African Americans in Houston react differently to the same laws as African Americans in other cities that have HERO type ordinances.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2016, 04:59 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,199,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
But none of this explains why African Americans in Houston react differently to the same laws as African Americans in other cities that have HERO type ordinances.
I answered you the first time you asked. We're now past that and onto something else.

Old 01-13-2016, 05:03 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,732,359 times
Quote:
Yes, but that all ties back to history.

People love to say slavery is over, but you have to realize blacks were enslaved for many years. We're still feeling the affects of that.

Faith, religion and slavery go hand and hand for us. It was our faith and religion that got us through the hardships and the struggles and the belief in something greater than us. Over time, these things morph into one.

The original inception of our hatred for homosexuality and acts stem from a place of oppression. For many years we related it to that. Many black cultures have folklore and fairytales that have been passed on for years of creatures and monsters that would rape you in your sleep.

And than you go to modern day institutionalized slavery aka prisons, where many blacks go through, which rape is used to instill fear and power over others.

It's deeper than religion and it's a reason why blacks have strong ties to their religion.
I agree with much of that first part. I view slavery as white people having a massive head start in todays world. Then throw in that the people ahead keep the people behind in check, I can see why there is still resentment.

However, I dont for a minute understand why black people cling to Christianity. The white man enslaved you, destroyed your culture, destroyed your religion, in many cases killed you, raped you, etc. and now you worship their God. Makes no damn sense to me. Same with why Hispanics are so Catholic. They wouldnt be Catholic if their ancestors werent raped and destroyed by Catholics.

Old 01-13-2016, 05:07 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,199,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
I agree with much of that first part. I view slavery as white people having a massive head start in todays world. Then throw in that the people ahead keep the people behind in check, I can see why there is still resentment.

However, I dont for a minute understand why black people cling to Christianity. The white man enslaved you, destroyed your culture, destroyed your religion, in many cases killed you, raped you, etc. and now you worship their God. Makes no damn sense to me. Same with why Hispanics are so Catholic. They wouldnt be Catholic if their ancestors werent raped and destroyed by Catholics.
Because that's all we knew.

And the one religion formed out of black culture has been stigmatized by the media. Voodoo.

You have to realize after a period of time of living in a certain condition, it becomes normal. Slavery was life for blacks. That's why after slavery was abolished, many blacks remained behind on the plantations because they knew nothing else but what they were taught.

Last edited by blkgiraffe; 01-13-2016 at 05:16 PM..

Old 01-13-2016, 05:23 PM

940 posts, read 1,901,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
No one has been able to answer your question, but I think I've solved the mystery. I've concluded Houston has a much larger preponderance of sexual deviates than anywhere else. What else could explain the number of adult Houstonians in this thread who are fixated on who pees where?
Wow brilliant, just to be expected from someone knowing what's good for everyone. You know what? Not fixated here. You know what? Plenty of perverts around the country placing their camera phones strategically around bathroom stalls pointing up from convenient vantage point. Maybe in your moral world that is OK, maybe you voted for some gentleman (hee hee) who does that. Why don't you just back off, you're losing and your religion is blowing up in your face - read on.

So in case people forgot, our Democrat-led city government tries to be 'progressive' in ways we can't control, such as in hiring felons. You know, it's not fair that they have a hard time in life so let's hire 'em and everything will be hunky dory, never mind what happens to co-workers: Suspect identified in deadly workplace shooting - Houston Chronicle

Just one more example of the let-it-slide attitude towards life practiced by 'progressives'. Here is the Chronicle piece revealing that the guy had been convicted of burglary. Behind paywall, and if you subscribe as I do it's there: Man charged in boss' death said he was "picked on unfairly" - Houston Chronicle

Last edited by groovamos; 01-13-2016 at 05:40 PM..

Old 01-13-2016, 05:44 PM

Quote:
I answered you the first time you asked. We're now past that and onto something else.
No you never did answer it , you just clouded the issue with this "buck breaking" diversion. Didn't the ancestors of the African Americans in Dallas or Atlanta for that matter go through he same treatment as those in Houston? Those cities have ordinances that protect LGBT individuals Houston does not.

But if you can't answer or just don't understand the question then by all means do move on..

Old 01-13-2016, 05:48 PM

Quote:

The Romans used to persecute Christians then the Holy Roman Empire became the purveyor of Christianity in Europe. Its not unusual for the oppressed to start to identify with their oppressors and vice versa...

Old 01-13-2016, 06:08 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,732,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
The Romans used to persecute Christians then the Holy Roman Empire became the purveyor of Christianity in Europe. Its not unusual for the oppressed to start to identify with their oppressors and vice versa...
Its not unusual thats true, but Ill never understand it.

Im Lebanese and my family are Christians. The Muslims in the country were terrible to us and the Israelis were even worse. The violence some of my relatives still face over there is terrible.

That said, Im not a Christian because they can be just as bad and have been. Nor would I ever identify with Muslims or Israeli Jews. I dont have anything against anybody simply for their religion. I have friends who are both. It would be easy to hate Muslims as a whole or Israelis, but the overwhelming majority of them are still great people I believe.

But I will not worship their God. Religion is the single worst thing to ever happen to mankind.

Old 01-13-2016, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Its not unusual thats true, but Ill never understand it.

Im Lebanese and my family are Christians. The Muslims in the country were terrible to us and the Israelis were even worse. The violence some of my relatives still face over there is terrible.

That said, Im not a Christian because they can be just as bad and have been. Nor would I ever identify with Muslims or Israeli Jews. I dont have anything against anybody simply for their religion. I have friends who are both. It would be easy to hate Muslims as a whole or Israelis, but the overwhelming majority of them are still great people I believe.

But I will not worship their God. Religion is the single worst thing to ever happen to mankind.

Horrible things are done in the name of God and country, any human organization can be hijacked and used for nefarious purposes, even a political party or a homeowners association. It may just be a fatal flaw in the human character

Old 01-13-2016, 10:01 PM
bu2

24,073 posts, read 14,866,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
But Texas is. Also the educational system is falling apart. It's now rated C-

Probably because of the politically motivated Education Board trying to indoctrinate the next generation to be reliable Republican voters with their pet theories on evolution, sex education, revisionist history, phonetic reading, fuzzy math, separation of church and state/Anti-American Texas exceptionalism, etc. It got really bad when "slaves" were lumped in as "immigrants" in that history textbook, even though it was under force.

I wouldn't move my Fortune 500 corporation to Dallas these days, much less Houston, San Antonio, Austin, or anywhere else within the borders of Texas. Tax break be damned! My employees don't deserve the indoctrination in the local taxpayer-funded public school that passes for their children's education, even in the "best" suburban school districts.
Texas is moving up in public education on just about any measure. One of the states dropping is California. They are dropping like a rock.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston