Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you consider Houston a progressive city?
Yes 22 32.35%
No 37 54.41%
undecided 9 13.24%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2016, 12:40 PM

940 posts, read 1,902,022 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
Progressive cities don't work themselves into a tizzy over where people pee (How Bathroom Fears Conquered Transgender Rights in Houston - The Atlantic).
Really now, we here are supposed to empower city government to go out and police us in the social realm outside of state law? This is what cities are for? And if we don't think so that makes us worked into a tizzy? I thought cities are to repair sewer lines and to arrest burglars. I got burgled in 2012, two men pawned some of the stuff, but not my mother's jewelry, worth around $13,000. Did the two men get arrested? No, the city has too many other priorities. You used to be able to go down there and go to burglary and theft dept. Now when you go down they send a public affairs intern out to meet you. If you ask about your case, and why the two guys didn't get arrested, they tell you the report is confidential.

And you think the city is supposed to go out and harass people for social reasons, and then do what? Give them a ticket for non-compliance? Why can't you get the state or the feds to do this?

To be honest with you I don't recall any "fears" or "tizzies" over the recent vote, and I know a lot of people. That's what you get for reading the Atlantic, what a weird view of life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2016, 12:43 PM

1,329 posts, read 3,543,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
So progress comes in the form of LGBT issues?
Progress comes in the form of a move to the left. Note that the reference points are always changing. What was left-wing enough 10 years ago isn't left-wing enough today. And Eisenhower would be considered a Nazi.

Old 01-12-2016, 01:33 PM

7,528 posts, read 10,254,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DabOnEm View Post
If you drew 134 square miles around City Hall Houston then the bill would have passed overwhelmingly. 200 square miles too. Would the same be passing in Philly at over 600 square miles?
Two points:

1. It doesn't matter if anyone draws 134 miles or 1 acre around city hall. Unless Houston is permitted to balkanize into progressive and conservative wards, the city no longer affords a range of protections and rights for its lgbt residents and visitors (an anomoly among the largest US cities, btw).

2. You seem to be unaware of the politics of the east coast cities and their suburbs. Look at how the votes stacked up in the 2012 presidential election in Philly and Houston MSAs:

Houston
Obama 44.03
Romney 55.97

Philadelphia
Obama 64.68
Romney 35.32

Results by Metropolitican Statistical Areas

Old 01-12-2016, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by groovamos View Post
Really now, we here are supposed to empower city government to go out and police us in the social realm outside of state law? This is what cities are for? And if we don't think so that makes us worked into a tizzy? I thought cities are to repair sewer lines and to arrest burglars. I got burgled in 2012, two men pawned some of the stuff, but not my mother's jewelry, worth around $13,000. Did the two men get arrested? No, the city has too many other priorities. You used to be able to go down there and go to burglary and theft dept. Now when you go down they send a public affairs intern out to meet you. If you ask about your case, and why the two guys didn't get arrested, they tell you the report is confidential.

And you think the city is supposed to go out and harass people for social reasons, and then do what? Give them a ticket for non-compliance? Why can't you get the state or the feds to do this?

To be honest with you I don't recall any "fears" or "tizzies" over the recent vote, and I know a lot of people. That's what you get for reading the Atlantic, what a weird view of life.
The question is not about your mother's jewelry. The question is if you consider Houston to be progressive.

Old 01-12-2016, 01:53 PM

14,888 posts, read 10,031,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
On the same day Houston voters overwhelmingly rescinded rights and protections for its LGBT residents and visitors, Philadelphia voters overwhelmingly voted to establishing permanent office of LGBT affairs: 'This beats San Francisco'. By definition, progressive cities progress; they don't go backwards.

Houston doesn't come to mind when people think about progressive cities.
For people who understand that progressive doesn't always mean leftist or liberal, Houston very much can be seen as a progressive city.

If you rate a huge city of millions of people based on whether it allows self identifying trans-gendered people to freely use the restroom of their choice you've missed the point completely. Most people don't live a constantly offended, victim lifestyle and there are many many things going on in Houston that are immensely more important than whether we have an office dedicated to LGBT affairs and I'm a firm believer in same sex marriage and equal rights for everyone.

Old 01-12-2016, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
For people who understand that progressive doesn't always mean leftist or liberal, Houston very much can be seen as a progressive city.
This is a forum. You can hold differing opinions from mine on this topic. I do not consider Houston to be a progressive city.

When people learn I lived in Houston for 26 years, they think Rick Perry and Ted Cruz. Its tally for the 2012 election totals a few posts up would suggest it is a pocket of progressive neighborhoods surrounded by mile after mile of Tea Partiers (//www.city-data.com/forum/42607958-post53.html).

The HERO vote was more than a local story. It received a lot of national attention. Houston had the opportunity to change its national image as a social and political backwater with the HERO vote. Unfortunately, the overwhelming number of people who voted to rescind protections and rights for its lgbt residents and citizens reenforces the perception. People who live in progressive cities do not take such actions.

Old 01-12-2016, 03:10 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,605,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyYot View Post
I guess you were out of town when HERO, AKA the BATHROOM ORDINANCE, was being debated:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7thOvSvC4E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gdqfv9aGbgM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4NsiX_aY9M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbt5vnc8Y-I

If you failed to notice the debate came down to the issue of bathrooms, you must not have been paying attention. Just sayin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhang Fei View Post
Progress comes in the form of a move to the left. Note that the reference points are always changing. What was left-wing enough 10 years ago isn't left-wing enough today. And Eisenhower would be considered a Nazi.
Yeah, most liberals feel that "progress" means you are moving further left.

Sorry, but not everyone feels "progress" is larger government, more spending and greater government control.

Old 01-12-2016, 03:12 PM

1,329 posts, read 3,543,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groovamos View Post
The progressive view is that if you don't agree with continued progress to the left, you are fearful or hysterical. Another progressive stance is that people who are disgusted with activities favored by the left are secret fans of those activities. Hence, someone who hates encountering roaches might secretly have a liking for them.

Old 01-12-2016, 03:18 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,737,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post

Yeah, most liberals feel that "progress" means you are moving further left.

Sorry, but not everyone feels "progress" is larger government, more spending and greater government control.
Which is exactly why Houston isnt a progressive city. Houston took the bait and let their fear take over.

Progressive goes hand in hand with liberal on a political level. There is no such thing as progressive conservativism on a political level. Houston isnt liberal. Its less liberal than Dallas for crying out loud (on a city level).

And since you wanted a specific example from NYC, here you go:

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/08/st...ll-gender.html

Old 01-12-2016, 03:49 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,605,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
Which is exactly why Houston isnt a progressive city. Houston took the bait and let their fear take over.

Progressive goes hand in hand with liberal on a political level. There is no such thing as progressive conservativism on a political level. Houston isnt liberal. Its less liberal than Dallas for crying out loud (on a city level).

And since you wanted a specific example from NYC, here you go:

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/08/st...ll-gender.html
So the thread should have been titled "Would you consider Houston a liberal city? Why or why not?"

Sorry, but the main definition of "progressive" is essentially moving forward in development, I'm not going to pretend that "progress" and liberalism go hand and hand.

So, since your definition of progress, based upon your NYC example, seems to revolve around gender neutral bathrooms, I guess, as I suspected, that is how you judge the progress of a city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston