Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2016, 01:21 PM

36 posts, read 33,138 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone, I am a 26 year old Cuban who have been living in Miami, FL for 11 months. Ever since I got here I have been wanting to move out to any other state. I want to live in a different city cause Miami feels like more of the same to me, plus, the people are mean, real estate prices are way above the average for this country and, last but not least, you barely speak english in this city and that really makes me mad/sad. I was lucky I had the opportunity to attend university in Cuba and studied languages so I am able to speak english (with little flaws), write it , etc. I am not happy living here and I would be willing to give up all I have achieved so far just to get out of town and re-start everything in Houston, TX. I work in a Luxury Hotel in downtown Miami as a bellman and I am doing good money during this season. Some of you will read all this and will ask yourselves why does this guy want to move out if he is doing great? Main reason: most of the people are mediocre who doesn't speak the native language and those who do are not willing to help you improve yours, as a result I can say I have been looked down by this majority who were born here and I find that to be not fair at all so I am willing to push myself out of all that. I am considering Houston TX cause in my research I found it to be cheaper than Miami and the job market is great, but my concern is: do people also speak Spanish over there ? Is the downtown area very expensive and is it a safe area ? I am not ready to live in the suburbs so I need to find an decent area near a public university and hotels (or restaurants) since I have always worked in Hospitality. What would be the best area for me to commute to downtown everyday ? If it was not for the people I would never move out of Miami, but believe me, people down here are garbage. Please, I would really appreciate if you could give me some good recommendations and tell me a little bit more about your city, pros and cons, etc. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Rotsen; 01-16-2016 at 01:36 PM.. Reason: grammar correction
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2016, 01:38 PM

115 posts, read 146,280 times
My one comment is that we need Cuban/Miami style food in Houston. Maybe you can startup a cuban food truck. :-) Houston embraces being an international city with a diverse population. We aren't nearly as touristy as Miami is and our city is generally much more interesting but don't move here for the beaches. ;-)

Old 01-16-2016, 01:39 PM

6,262 posts, read 7,410,427 times
The short answer to your question is YES Downtown Houston is safe....

Old 01-16-2016, 02:05 PM

7,528 posts, read 10,187,767 times
Safe? I'm afraid you might die of boredom.

Old 01-16-2016, 02:08 PM

1,483 posts, read 1,708,407 times
I think once you dismiss the populace of an entire metro area as "garbage" I can't really trust your judgment about what is or is not safe.

Old 01-16-2016, 03:43 PM

36 posts, read 33,138 times
Default thank you for replying...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerbear30 View Post
I think once you dismiss the populace of an entire metro area as "garbage" I can't really trust your judgment about what is or is not safe.
you are right !! maybe I went a little far by referring to an entire area with such an ugly word, but, in my defense I can assure you that people makes it hard to you, you walk in to a store and costumer service is terrible, you go to a restaurant and the waitress is more concern about how she looks like than delivering a flawless service, my landlord just told me the other day that the place where I am living at is not approved for anybody to live cause it's been a while since she doesn't pay for it and she was concerned that I could turn in my payment's receipts to claim my taxes, and the list goes on and on...
So, being all that said, don't you think that I HAVE A POINT ??????????????????????????????????????
Sorry but this is hell to me, or better, let me not commit the same mistake again, this is not what I thought America was, sorry but it is the way I see it, it is my point of view and back in Cuba I could not express myself this way but since I currently live in a free land (thanks to this great country) I can now. I have no intention to find out the reasons behind all that because I am like a bug in this country but I can always turn around and move on and that is what I am trying to do. You got your answer here, thanks in advance and have a great day !!!

Last edited by Rotsen; 01-16-2016 at 03:54 PM.. Reason: grammar correction

Old 01-16-2016, 05:41 PM

4,900 posts, read 13,665,848 times
Downtiwn you will have to deal with some panhandlers but typically just ignore them and they go away otherwise it's pretty safe. Not many people live downtown you would want to look at areas like Midtown or Montrose.

Old 01-16-2016, 07:36 PM

5,976 posts, read 15,188,330 times
Default I agree... for now...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
Safe? I'm afraid you might die of boredom.
I would not deny that downtown may not be exciting for some; there really is a lot going on. However, with the three new residential projects going on now, there will be a base of clients for which there will be businesses opening up for entertainment. I think it will get better, and downtown is within walking distance of Midtown, so I would not discount it.

Old 01-17-2016, 01:18 AM

61,110 posts, read 85,909,223 times
Downtown is safe, perhaps a bit quiet after business hours, and surely pricey. Hope for great tips.
Midtown is a good suggestion.

Old 01-17-2016, 03:47 AM

20,501 posts, read 33,317,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp View Post
I would not deny that downtown may not be exciting for some; there really is a lot going on. However, with the three new residential projects going on now, there will be a base of clients for which there will be businesses opening up for entertainment. I think it will get better, and downtown is within walking distance of Midtown, so I would not discount it.
Looking at SSP, there's more than just three new residential projects going up. You have the second sky house, the catalyst, two different high-rises in the market square area, a few mid-rises. This is definitely needed and hope more come in the future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: