Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2016, 03:55 PM

5 posts, read 4,642 times

Advertisements

Hi

We are building new construction house in Katy. While our first site visit we noticed that house was not placed properly on lot. We informed the sales agent and response was that how it is. Isn't builders supposed to share plan with buyers. We knew what floor plan we getting but house placement was never shared.

What are our options. FYI I raised issue to manager too but didn't get any traction.

Cheers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2016, 04:10 PM

225 posts, read 519,873 times
what is wrong with the placement? we need details

Old 01-19-2016, 04:49 PM

833 posts, read 1,886,305 times
Ask to see a copy of the survey. A house is going to be place on the lot based on a lot of factors starting with HOA guidelines, drainage, easement, shape of the lot etc. How your home in placed may not always be how you think it is going to be placed.

If you have a rectangular lot right next another rectangular lot the front of your house typically will line up with the neighbors front.

If you think something is wrong make sure you come to terms before the foundation is poured. Once the foundation is poured nothing is going to be changed. Also I suggest to hire a 3rd party inspector for the pouring.

Old 01-19-2016, 05:29 PM

467 posts, read 1,185,933 times
Our house had to be flipped due to drainage. However, the builder gave us a head up before we started building.

Old 01-19-2016, 08:35 PM

5,976 posts, read 15,270,067 times
Default You are in charge...

With the bottom falling out of the oil and gas sector (soon to collapse really), people walking away from contracts, I can't see how you would not be in control in this situation. They are lucky to have you as a buyer in this economic climate in Houston. Maybe you have bargaining power you are not aware of... I would get advice from a Real Estate agent.

Old 01-19-2016, 11:52 PM

5,046 posts, read 9,621,027 times
There are sometimes HOA or muni codes about position of a house. For example, front must fully face the road....instead of, say, angled for the best view out the back windows and deck.

Did yours have the potential to be different than others on your street? Are others and yours in the similar position?

How differently placed did you think yours would be?

Old 01-20-2016, 12:25 AM

308 posts, read 499,124 times
Like others have said...what is wrong with the placement? Did you just assumed it would placed a certain way that you wanted it or what you imagined? How your home is actually placed on the lot may not always be how you think it is going to be placed. There are many factors that will determine how its placed/built. They do not always share the survey of the lot or placement. You may have to request it. When I was choosing lots between two different builders. They both did not share the info, I had to request it. One was very willing to share. The other took longer. If you already signed and the foundation is poured there may not be much you can do. Just curious...which community if you don't mind sharing.

Old 01-20-2016, 03:26 PM

2,052 posts, read 5,872,503 times
When we built our home, the salesman actually had small templates of all of the floor plans that he placed on the neighborhood survey plat and gave us an idea of how it would be situated. Then they got approval from the developers for the floor plan and elevation and drew up an initial site plan for us to approve. Up until that time we could have changed, but it would have cost us a change fee. Once that site plan was final, that was it.

So I'm assuming they have started marking out or framing the foundation, but have not trenched it yet or put in rebar/plumbing, etc. You might possibly get them to change it at that point, but be prepared to pay extra and have a good 2-3 week delay while they get the changes approved. Once the rebar, plumbing, etc are started, I doubt they would change it since they are several thousands of dollars into the project.

Old 01-20-2016, 03:53 PM

2,441 posts, read 2,524,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp View Post
With the bottom falling out of the oil and gas sector (soon to collapse really), people walking away from contracts, I can't see how you would not be in control in this situation. They are lucky to have you as a buyer in this economic climate in Houston. Maybe you have bargaining power you are not aware of... I would get advice from a Real Estate agent.
But people are keep moving and moving to Houston.
I believe it is still a seller's market.
There are other industries in Houston that are not affected.
Moreover, some O&G companies are still hiring.

Old 01-21-2016, 08:03 AM

5 posts, read 4,642 times
Hi,

The issue is the garage entry. By having garage entry in different side we are loosing good portion of backyard. I did ask them to make changes before pouring, (intact was ready to pay if needed) however they went ahead with schedule and now it is already poured.
My issue is isn't builder is supposed to share how the house is placed with customer before starting the construction.
HookTheBrotherUp - I would have also thought that in this market, builder is more appreciative of firm buyer and co-operative but doesn't seem till now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: