Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2016, 08:01 PM

27 posts, read 24,991 times

Advertisements

There are some nice areas in Spring as well that are close to 45. I'm in that area all the time, and there are some nice older as well as some newer subdivisions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2016, 02:14 AM

4,379 posts, read 4,621,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipuck View Post
Well that area is full of Katrina refugees that never left and yes it has alot of crime.

Even a daycare got robbed there last year I think.

You can be PC and move there to proof us wrong.
Considering the fact that I use to live in that area after Katrina I can tell you that is a lie.[Mod cut]

I'll give the OP the honest truth about the area surrounding I-45 and FM 1960. The area closest to the freeway called "Cypress Station" probably wouldn't be your best bet. It's not a war zone by any means but a group of affordable apartments is a recipe for property crime. I actually use to live in Cypress Station and it wasn't the worst area in North Houston but just to be on the safe side I wouldn't recommend it. I actually got my apartment broken into. Not to mention apartments in that area are terribly managed. Like I stated if your new to the area just to be on the safe side look at some places in Spring or further west off 1960 closer to 249 or 290.

Last edited by elnina; 02-05-2016 at 06:49 PM..

Old 02-04-2016, 06:39 AM

2,047 posts, read 2,983,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
Considering the fact that I use to live in that area after Katrina I can tell you that is a lie.[Mod cut]

I'll give the OP the honest truth about the area surrounding I-45 and FM 1960. The area closest to the freeway called "Cypress Station" probably wouldn't be your best bet. It's not a war zone by any means but a group of affordable apartments is a recipe for property crime. I actually use to live in Cypress Station and it wasn't the worst area in North Houston but just to be on the safe side I wouldn't recommend it. I actually got my apartment broken into. Not to mention apartments in that area are terribly managed. Like I stated if your new to the area just to be on the safe side look at some places in Spring or further west off 1960 closer to 249 or 290.
This was a fact mentioned by news outlets. More than a few posters here have also confirmed some apartments were specifically designated for them.

Now for the rest of your comments, [Mod cut: orphaned], you just agree with everything I wrote about that area.

Last edited by elnina; 02-05-2016 at 06:50 PM..

Old 02-04-2016, 02:03 PM

5,613 posts, read 4,937,855 times
Quote:
This was a fact mentioned by news outlets. More than a few posters here have also confirmed some apartments were specifically designated for them.

Now for the rest of your comments,[Mod cut: orphaned], you just agree with everything I wrote about that area.
The City and County collaborated to find apartments for Katrina evacuees, and pretty much dictated to properties with higher vacancy rates that they needed to take them in. I don't think much thought was given to criteria other than they couldn't have major building code violations and had some vacancy.

However, school stats show that this area was changing demographically pretty rapidly by around 2000, five years or more prior to Katrina.

Last edited by elnina; 02-05-2016 at 06:51 PM..

Old 02-04-2016, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalPlanner View Post
The City and County collaborated to find apartments for Katrina evacuees, and pretty much dictated to properties with higher vacancy rates that they needed to take them in. I don't think much thought was given to criteria other than they couldn't have major building code violations and had some vacancy.

However, school stats show that this area was changing demographically pretty rapidly by around 2000, five years or more prior to Katrina.
What you said agree with my statement that Katrina refugees settle there. The demographics changing is another issue which I won't go to.

Old 02-05-2016, 01:52 AM

4,379 posts, read 4,621,029 times
Quote:

Now for the rest of your comments, beside wanting to call me a racist, you just agree with everything I wrote about that area.
I know every apartment in that area since I lived in that area and i'm telling you that is a lie about New Orleans people terrorizing the area. [Mod cut] And I agree that it wouldn't be an ideal place(not a war zone by any means) if you were new to Houston looking for something safe, just to be cautious I wouldn't move to the area. But blaming crime on New Orleans people in that area TODAY, your struggle reaching at best with that statement. I know every inch of North/Northwest Houston and the surrounding suburbs and most New Orleans people that reside on that side of town(some are good friends of mine and have been here before Katrina) live in suburban divisions with little to no crime. Most crime was confined to Southwest Houston(which was already a hotbed for crime pre Katrina) and that died down over 5 years ago.[Mod cut]

Last edited by elnina; 02-05-2016 at 06:35 PM.. Reason: Rude/personal attack

Old 02-05-2016, 07:21 AM

693 posts, read 1,107,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
It bothers me so much that any black area is considered a ghetto that has alotta crime.
Wait, is this one of those microagressions I keep hearing about? The fact of the matter is crime is higher in a so-called "black area." Both local and federal crime stats support this fact, but I'm not gonna get into an argument over it.

It bothers me so much that the term "ghetto" has totally lost the historical significance of being urban places where Jews were crammed into and segregated from the rest of the population. For the record, I'm not Jewish.

However words and meanings change over time.

In the late 20th century up to now, any area where black people live that has high crime is, by defintion, ghetto.

Old 02-05-2016, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
I know every apartment in that area since I lived in that area and i'm telling you that is a lie about New Orleans people terrorizing the area. [Mod cut] And I agree that it wouldn't be an ideal place(not a war zone by any means) if you were new to Houston looking for something safe, just to be cautious I wouldn't move to the area. But blaming crime on New Orleans people in that area TODAY, your struggle reaching at best with that statement. I know every inch of North/Northwest Houston and the surrounding suburbs and most New Orleans people that reside on that side of town(some are good friends of mine and have been here before Katrina) live in suburban divisions with little to no crime. Most crime was confined to Southwest Houston(which was already a hotbed for crime pre Katrina) and that died down over 5 years ago.[Mod cut]
I don't know what you are mumbling or arguing. Multiple people here confirm and same for the news outlet that apartments were provided to Katrina refugees in that area.

If you want to argue the refugees that settle there are good nice people that would never commit any crime, well you will probably believe the sun rise from the west too.

Low income with no jobs and nowhere to go and with no money. Hmmm, yeah ok.

Last edited by elnina; 02-05-2016 at 06:36 PM..

Old 02-05-2016, 09:12 AM

5,613 posts, read 4,937,855 times
Quote:
What you said agree with my statement that Katrina refugees settle there. The demographics changing is another issue which I won't go to.
From what I understand, yes, Katrina evacuees were resettled in that area at least temporarily. How long they stayed, I don't know. Whether they contributed to any criminal activity, I don't know. There was a lot of anecdotal evidence that their education levels and commitment to school attendance were well behind even low-income populations native to our region, though.

Basically the whole power structure of New Orleans (multi-racial, by the way) made deliberate decisions to neglect the human, social, and intellectual development of the greater share of its population because they were making too much hay off of the status quo and focused exclusively on low wage industries like tourism. Whatever the unique cultural merits of the place, that's no way to run a society, and they deserve the same disdain that also befits the leadership of failed places like Detroit and San Bernardino (yes, I did just lump NOLA in with those two disasters). Katrina just happened to get NOLA off the hook to some extent, though they do seem to now be trying to address some of their failings. Why my tax dollars have to be involved with their mess is a mystery to me, however.

Old 02-05-2016, 07:48 PM

398 posts, read 394,703 times
Lived near there for a year. Ghetto!

It doesn't look bad but they people around there are rough. I don't think people over there even understand the concept of respecting others. I could go and on but there simply are too many ghetto scumbags to live happily. I don't know what exactly caused it but over the last 10 years that area has definitely gone down the sh...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston