Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2016, 09:05 PM

292 posts, read 547,612 times

Advertisements

In my opinion, nothing beats a GUARANTEED return. All these analysis on investing the extra money in the market or what not, is all based on the ASSUMPTION that you will get an average return that is higher than your interest rate. But in the end, it is all just an ASSUMPTION.

I think of it this way, if investing long term in the market is such a sure thing, why would the banks rather loan that money in mortgages instead of investing it in the markets themselves?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2016, 10:28 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,384,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas6023 View Post
Ok. Thanks everyone. Well I was just wondering if I paid off the note in about 5 years if I would get in trouble?
You may have a prepayment penalty. Check your paperwork. Our first home had that and we didn't even know it, as we were just happy to get a mortgage.

See if you can refi into a 15 year mortgage if you have a 30, since you want to pay it early. your interest rate will probably be lower.

Old 01-27-2016, 11:10 PM

384 posts, read 595,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
Did you know that the S&P 500 total return for the last 15 years was 2.98% annually?

Also most people don't run the math on this but I will spell it out

200k 30 year mortgage @ 4% is 954.00 a month, applying 954.00 a month pays off the loan in less than 11 years

954.00 a month invested @ 8% for 11 years is 200k
This is a flawed comparison/calculation. You forgot to include the fact that if you just paid the $954 a month for 11 years you would have paid down $48,000 of the principal to go along with the $200k you would have by investing the additional $954 a month.

Old 01-28-2016, 12:04 AM

384 posts, read 595,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hangster View Post
In my opinion, nothing beats a GUARANTEED return. All these analysis on investing the extra money in the market or what not, is all based on the ASSUMPTION that you will get an average return that is higher than your interest rate. But in the end, it is all just an ASSUMPTION.

I think of it this way, if investing long term in the market is such a sure thing, why would the banks rather loan that money in mortgages instead of investing it in the markets themselves?
A little thing called the spread. They borrow at 1% or less and loan in out at 3.5% or more with collateral that minimizes their risk.

It is hard to argue against the long term returns of the stock market. The S&P averaged an 8% return from 1975 to 2015 and that does not include any dividend reinvestment.

Old 01-28-2016, 06:50 AM

1,512 posts, read 1,789,810 times
We didn't time the bottom of the market, but we did time the bottom of the mortgage rates. I make an extra payment here and there on our 15-year note but don't regularly double up on the payments, and don't plan to pay off the mortgage significantly early. Regardless of stock market returns - my rationale is as follows:

For the next house that we buy (either for ourselves or as an investment), we'll be paying a higher interest rate than we locked in on our current house. We'd be better off applying whatever prepayment we make on our current loan to reducing the amount financed with the next loan.

Old 01-28-2016, 07:08 AM

26,191 posts, read 21,568,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cy_flembeck View Post
This is a flawed comparison/calculation. You forgot to include the fact that if you just paid the $954 a month for 11 years you would have paid down $48,000 of the principal to go along with the $200k you would have by investing the additional $954 a month.

Not flawed but lacking some information for sure. We should take that into account as well as actually questioning the 8% especially after tax. The last 15 years the s&p has a total return less than 3% and even with dividends reinvested is less than 5%. The fact you quoted a 41 year timeframe of s&p returns is off because it in no way compares to the time the average person is in their house.

This also doesn't take into account that paying down the mortgage is a guaranteed return/savings that you don't have to pay taxes on it. With the investment account you are creating a potential tax liability with interest income, dividend income or capital gains.

Last edited by Lowexpectations; 01-28-2016 at 07:19 AM..

Old 01-28-2016, 07:24 AM

223 posts, read 261,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hangster View Post

As a market risk guy, this is all a variance vs. return question. As such, there is no quantitative answer IF you think the return for the risk employed (Sharpe ratio for stat geeks) is the same for a 3.5% mortgage (i.e. fixed income) payoff vs. whatever equity return hurdle you apply (in which you take overall market, industry, individual company, currency, credit, and other risks). Instead, its your risk tolerance for making a levered investment in stocks (borrow cheap in the form of a mortgage to get higher return in the equity market, which is really your position)

The more appropriate comp might be fixed income returns; 10 year Treasuries yield 1.99% today. If you assume that is risk-free (I don't, not with this Fed and President), perhaps a 2.6% after tax return on mortgage payoff isn't that bad.

Old 01-28-2016, 07:59 AM

2,441 posts, read 2,520,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detachable arm View Post
Yes, pay it off and stop being a slave. Unless you like that sort of thing...
Well in Texas you will be slave forever. End of mortgage doesn't mean end of your property taxes. And property tax rates in TX are 3rd highest in the country. My bank interest is 3.15% and property tax is about 3.6% with mud tax. And bank interest is applicable only to your principal amount, but property tax is applicable to the total appraised property value.

End of slavery = move out of Texas and stop paying huge property taxes.

Old 01-28-2016, 08:08 AM

26,191 posts, read 21,568,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Town View Post
Well in Texas you will be slave forever. End of mortgage doesn't mean end of your property taxes. And property tax rates in TX are 3rd highest in the country. My bank interest is 3.15% and property tax is about 3.6% with mud tax. And bank interest is applicable only to your principal amount, but property tax is applicable to the total appraised property value.

Do you have a homestead exemption? If so your effective property tax rate isn't 3.6% and thus you aren't taxed on the appraised value

Old 01-28-2016, 08:13 AM

1,512 posts, read 1,789,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Town View Post

Plenty of parts of Texas have much lower tax rates than Houston/Harris County.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: