Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2016, 02:13 PM

1,776 posts, read 1,871,951 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
Did you have an adjustable rate or something else odd? It's uncommon for a fixed rate loan to have a prepayment penalty
Lots of low or no cost refi's will have the prepayment to cover the costs they incurred.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2016, 09:12 AM

1,304 posts, read 1,093,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hangster View Post
Are you suggesting not to pay it off early so you can walk away from the asset and your mortgage agreement, just to forclose on the house and let the bank take the monetary hit?
It's obvious we would do different things with our money so the back and forth is kind of pointless. Regarding this part of your post. Yes, I'd absolutely walk away from a mortgage if the property becomes insanely upside down. Corporations do it all of the time, and they are people now too according to our esteemed Supreme Court anyway.

The day I feel sorry for a bank is the day I lose my moral compass. Banks are institutions that serve a purpose and take calculated risks. If those risks don't pan out they should suffer the consequences.

Old 01-29-2016, 09:25 AM

292 posts, read 547,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Augiec View Post
It's obvious we would do different things with our money so the back and forth is kind of pointless. Regarding this part of your post. Yes, I'd absolutely walk away from a mortgage if the property becomes insanely upside down. Corporations do it all of the time, and they are people now too according to our esteemed Supreme Court anyway.

The day I feel sorry for a bank is the day I lose my moral compass. Banks are institutions that serve a purpose and take calculated risks. If those risks don't pan out they should suffer the consequences.
You are absolutely right in that we are different. Wow, I hoestly really have nothing to say in reply to your post, except that we are different.

Old 01-29-2016, 09:31 AM

26,191 posts, read 21,576,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Augiec View Post

The banks risk typically is limited based on pmi which is common for many mortgages

Old 01-29-2016, 09:32 AM

26,191 posts, read 21,576,919 times
Quote:
You are absolutely right in that we are different. Wow, I hoestly really have nothing to say in reply to your post, except that we are different.

Well it's a business decision and businesses do it all the time

Old 01-29-2016, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
Well it's a business decision and businesses do it all the time
Exactly, as the homeowner, I'd have to consider whether the foreclosure and accompanying destruction of my credit rating is too high a price to pay for walking away from it. That would likely be the biggest impediment. Certainly not some obligation to a financial institution that would take every opportunity to screw me for a buck.

Old 01-30-2016, 05:24 AM

122 posts, read 134,312 times
Ok. Long drawn out debate here. One last question. If I was not set up on escrow and I make my monthly payment manually can I decided when to put funds into escrow? As in if I want to pay it one lump some at the end of the year? Because I deposited money and asked for the extra to be applied to the principle... This was confirmed by the teller three times that I wanted extra to go to principle. Well my statement shows te next day there was a principle adjustment and money was put to the escrow but only a certain amount like if it is mandatory? So is it?

Old 01-30-2016, 06:17 AM

10,114 posts, read 19,401,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleL66 View Post
I did that every month til I finished my mortgage. Sometimes even triple the payment. No one said anything. Paid my 30 year mortgage off in 6 years, but of course I only bought a very tiny yet affordable townhouse.

You OWN the roof over your head---nothing trivial about that!

Old 01-30-2016, 08:10 AM

292 posts, read 547,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas6023 View Post
Ok. Long drawn out debate here. One last question. If I was not set up on escrow and I make my monthly payment manually can I decided when to put funds into escrow? As in if I want to pay it one lump some at the end of the year? Because I deposited money and asked for the extra to be applied to the principle... This was confirmed by the teller three times that I wanted extra to go to principle. Well my statement shows te next day there was a principle adjustment and money was put to the escrow but only a certain amount like if it is mandatory? So is it?
If your mortgage does not have an escrow account, how can they deposit into an escrow? Something does not sound right here. I suggest you call the bank directly to get it cleared up as no one here knows the details of your mortgage or bank to really provide you with a definitive answer.

Old 01-30-2016, 02:48 PM

Quote:
If your mortgage does not have an escrow account, how can they deposit into an escrow? Something does not sound right here. I suggest you call the bank directly to get it cleared up as no one here knows the details of your mortgage or bank to really provide you with a definitive answer.
I agree, something doesn't sound right with this. If you don't have an escrow account with your mortgage, that's not something a teller is going to be able to setup and deposit money into.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: