Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2016, 03:52 PM

112 posts, read 198,638 times

Advertisements

We have a 7' utility easement along the back of our yard with electrical and gas lines running through it.
Are we able to plant bushes etc along that easement? I'm not sure how deep the utility lines are and was wondering if it's possible to plant on top of them?
If yes, what kind of greenery is good to put there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2016, 03:53 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,282,260 times
Anything you're not going to be broken up about if it gets ripped out.

Stay away from large trees, other than that, most shrubs, bushes, etc are fine.

Old 02-02-2016, 03:57 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,801,883 times
I believe you can also call the utility companies and they can come out and mark exactly where the utilities are if you are not sure. Always good to do before having landcaping, sprinkler systems, etc done.
Also be careful of ATT or other internet lines. Those things are buried like 1" below the ground. And if you cut through fiber optic cable, the entire line needs to be replaced. Ask me how I know.

Old 02-02-2016, 03:58 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,282,260 times
Texas 811 should be your very first call.

Homeowner | Texas811

Old 02-02-2016, 04:32 PM

833 posts, read 1,885,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
Anything you're not going to be broken up about if it gets ripped out.

Stay away from large trees, other than that, most shrubs, bushes, etc are fine.

This, and just use common sense that anything with deep roots like trees is a bad idea. I would not spend a large amount of money just in case 10 years from now there is an issue and they need to dig up everything to get to those lines.

Old 02-02-2016, 05:19 PM

112 posts, read 198,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
Texas 811 should be your very first call.

Homeowner | Texas811
Yes, we already have them marked, so I know where they are. Unfortunately with my lot size and layout, that's the only place we have to plant anything.
Any suggestions, pics of what to plant along the fence line to add some greenery and or color without aggressive roots?

Old 02-02-2016, 05:46 PM

3,283 posts, read 6,048,839 times
I have native flowering shrubs, annual flowers, and some tropicals mixed together in a circular bed in my easement. From there I have a rock path/rock garden over the easment with some tropicals and hardy flashy natives in pots. Solar water feature ends the rock garden and it curves to the other corner of the fence out of the easment into a gradual raised bed.

Worst case I lose the flower bed but its hardy (some honestly would just grow back) and fairly inexpensive. The rest the crew would just have to shovel rocks out of the way. Less water for grass and less maintenance so more time dealing with actual plant beds

Old 02-02-2016, 09:06 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,801,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamiamjo View Post
Yes, we already have them marked, so I know where they are. Unfortunately with my lot size and layout, that's the only place we have to plant anything.
Any suggestions, pics of what to plant along the fence line to add some greenery and or color without aggressive roots?
Run a diamond pattern of wire all along the fence and plant jasmine at the base, training it to run along the wires.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston